Joined 5724 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 49 of 49
09 December 2011 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
There are many answers I can give to this question:

1. The general answer I most often give is "I like learning languages, it's a lot of fun and they're very interesting."

2a. Basic academic interest answer "I am majoring in psychology (eventually) and language learning is a good complement to psychology."

2b. Somewhat more detailed academic answer that I used in my introductory thread here in 2008
mick33 wrote:
I am... very interested in grammatical and syntactic differences between languages (even ones that are closely related like English and Dutch or French and Spanish) and how these differences impact the ways people can express themselves.
I haven't used this one in a conversation yet, but I could.

Specific answers for each language
3. I like how Spanish sounds and I could speak it without having to travel abroad.

4. I started learning Afrikaans because I wanted to learn about South African history from another perspective and I thought Afrikaans would be easier to learn thean Zulu or Xhosa. Afrikaans might also be a good intrduction to Dutch and German

5. I like the rhythm of spoken Finnish, and the fact that Finnish has 14 cases intrigued me.

6. I heard a Swedish song that I loved and then decided that I had to learn Swedish. I am also very curious about Sweden's culture and history.

7. I am learning Italian because I love good food (Italy isn't the only country known for great food, but Italian cuisine is great) and I find the pronunciaton easier than French.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version