Joined 6957 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 9 of 19
05 December 2011 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I am a firm beliver in immersion in your target language. Even if it is just for a day you will be surrounded by so much of your target language that it is worth many hours of study. Obviously the longer the better, but sometimes that is not possible, so you just take the little snippets you can get. I would also include visits from foreigners in your home or partners/good friends that you see a lot, so we can hear from those who did not actually have the opportunity to travel, but who have had occasion to practise their TL intensively even so, and meetings or guiding in one language which differs from the one which is spoken locally.

So which TL countries have you visited (or have been immersed in the language in other ways) in 2011, and which are you planning to/hoping to visit in 2012?

Oh, and let us take the broad view on target language here. Let us define it as any language you learn a bit of, whether you had it as a TL before the trip was planned, or you made it a TL because you knew you were going there.

FINNISH: I used a bit of it when spending Midsummer's in Finland and revisiting friends there. I also have got some limited immersion when attending Finnish classes after work.

HUNGARIAN: I spent a few days in Hungary this year and used it when socializing with new and old friends

INARI SAAMI: It was never part of the plan but an impulse purchase of a kids' textbook while rooting around for stuff in Northern Saami changed that as my log here attests.

NORTHERN SAAMI: The secondary goal of this year's visit to Finland was to see its Sami native region and pick up learning material for the language. Mission accomplished. I also got a bit of exposure to Finland's Saamic languages when seeing signs in the region in its 3 Saamic languages.

POLISH: I spent about a week in Poland this year and used it when socializing with new and old friends

SLOVAK: I spent a weekend visiting friends in Prague and Bratislava (in Prague I got the usual situation of talking in Slovak and getting responses in Czech). I also get some live practice as I regularly meet some Czech friends and get more of the same Czech-Slovak conversations.

I can't remember any instance of having used a target language with a guest this year.

I don't know yet where I will travel next year and so check in with me next year :-P
1 person has voted this message useful

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4669 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 10 of 19
05 December 2011 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Hm, maybe I should start learning Russian. They are everywhere on vacation.

Greek, learned the alphabet in Greece
Turkish, learned 10 words
Thai, learned 4 words
Vietnamese, learned nothing but got a nice course in Vietnamese for 15 USD in Ho CHi Minh.
German, passive listening to German tourists.

2012: Dont know yet.

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4666 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 19
05 December 2011 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
Spanish is my first new language, and last summer I hadn't been at it long enough to really benefit from immersion. This coming summer, however, I'm planning on taking a four-week immersion course in Mexico. I'm really looking forward to it.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 19
05 December 2011 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
I went only to Finland, five times. i didn't obviously plan this but all the places I went to have Swedish names as well: Helsingfors/Vanda/Dickursby, Tavastehus, Tammerfors, Åbo, Nådendal, Uleåborg, Villmanstrand, (...oh damn fail, Imatra doesn't have a Swedish name!), Borgå. I didn't hear much Swedish there but I watched some Swedish TV and sang along to karaoke shows. Got more used to the Scandinavian weird spelling, heh. Wanted to buy a German textbook for Swedish speakers but couldn't find any (other than a couple of school ones).
Also made an amazing trip to a reindeer park and I heard some joiku in Saami (the Northern one as far as I remember).
Oh and I also went to Belarus but I don't think I had any contact with Belarusian :S

as for next year... mum wants to go to Italy or Czech Republic. I want to go to Finland again:D well, obviously i also want to go to these two, but only if I can also go to Finland. and I'd rather go to Italy when my Italian is a bit better - perhaps the main minus of the AJATT way of studying.

Edited by Serpent on 05 December 2011 at 11:13pm

SmilingStraw
Diglot
United States
Joined 4711 days ago

35 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 13 of 19
06 December 2011 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
I practiced Arabic with a few of my friends. I have one Egyptian friend, one Jordanian, and one Iraqi, and I spent a few days just with them. Nothing beyond that, however, but it was a blast.

I would've gone to some Middle Eastern countries had not the Arab Spring broken out.

stout
Ireland
Joined 5172 days ago

108 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 14 of 19
13 December 2011 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
I would like to return to France to stay there for another few months.I had lived there
before for almost six months.Unfortunately the economic downturn at the beginning of
2009 had prompted my departure from France.

I would like to return to France and live there for another few months at least.However
with the current economic crisis at present.I am not willing to spend anymore money at
the present moment.

Yes going to live in the country of your target language is an excellent idea and is
the best way to master the language but you need plenty of money and/or a very good
prospect of finding long term stable employment in the country of your target language.

Edited by stout on 13 December 2011 at 8:26pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4931 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 15 of 19
13 December 2011 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
I'm planning on going to live in Turkey in 2012. It's the only way I'm realistically going to get to anything higher than a B2 level in the language.

Plus I'm really excited about it. The people, culture, food... they all interest me a lot!

R.
==

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5943 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 16 of 19
14 December 2011 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
I spent exactly a month in Greece in May/June and naturally was able to practice my Greek quite extensively. Sadly that is the only international trip I've been on this year. However, in August 2012 I'm moving to Croatia for a year and so will be able to take advantage of that time by bringing my practically nonexistent Croatian up to a fluent level...and hopefully also visit a few other countries in the vicinity. :)

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version