United States
Joined 4849 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Persian, English*, German, Spanish, Tajik
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 12
06 December 2011 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
NickJS wrote:
I cannot remember where I saw it, but just have all the books in front of you and just
pick up the one that interests you most, then when you are bored swap to another one -
just keep track of where you are in a journal etc.

I personally think the more resources the better with anything, plus what one book
overlooks, the other might not.

Yeah that's true about the journal and keeping track of where I am, I should be doing a better job of that, especially
in the textbook, which I'm just jumping from exercise to exercise between different chapters :/

But I guess the key is that one can learn something from anything (in the TL, of course), so I should just be happy I
have all these.
1 person has voted this message useful

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4759 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 10 of 12
06 December 2011 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
vikavictoria wrote:
NickJS wrote:
I cannot remember where I saw it, but just have
all the books in front of you and just
pick up the one that interests you most, then when you are bored swap to another one -
just keep track of where you are in a journal etc.

I personally think the more resources the better with anything, plus what one book
overlooks, the other might not.

Yeah that's true about the journal and keeping track of where I am, I should be doing a
better job of that, especially
in the textbook, which I'm just jumping from exercise to exercise between different
chapters :/

But I guess the key is that one can learn something from anything (in the TL, of
course), so I should just be happy I
have all these.

Its definitely annoying sometimes having to note everything down - but it also really
helps. I
take notes on everything (even things in my daily life) and it does make life easier.

I was told in a post I made recently that I should make my journal more of a progress
report for myself instead of just notes from what I have learnt. So stuff like noting
where my errors are and my plans to improve them, what I learnt and what didn't stick
etc. Maybe you could do the same sort of thing but then use it to bring all of your
materials that you have used together - so that they don't all seem to oppose each
other, but sort of complement each other and take notes on that so you know where you
are up to in all your materials.

At least that way you wont find the need to skip things or compulsively follow them.

Just a couple of more ideas for you :].

Edited by NickJS on 06 December 2011 at 3:40am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4809 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 11 of 12
06 December 2011 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Jarvis1000 wrote:
You really have to supress your urge to make completion of a course or resource the end goal, because it's not about completing a course. The goal(I am assuming) is about becoming fluent. One program will emphasize and do well in one thing, but not another and so on and so forth.

It's definitely true completing a course should never be the "end goal" but I think it should be one of the smaller goals along the way. It helps me move forward instead of reviewing the same things from various sources too much because of feeling too inperfect. Such "way for perfection" and need to cover all points of the structure or vocab has lead me to a break from Spanish once because I lost motivation. (And nearly from French, even though it was at language classes. Have you ever been taught the same easy basic things three or four times without a way to escape?)

starrye
United States
Joined 4894 days ago

172 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 12 of 12
06 December 2011 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Are you self-teaching, or also working through a university course for your target language? I agree that using a notebook is a really good way to keep track of things. Also I think it's worthwhile to develop a "curriculum" for yourself, if you are self-teaching. It's still a good idea to plan out what resources we want to use and in which order we want to do them in. So pretend you are a teacher. Plan a course of study for yourself, and write it down.

Edited by starrye on 06 December 2011 at 4:24pm

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version