United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5925 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 33 of 64
09 December 2011 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
Hmm, I've had the lutefisk conversation with a few Finnish people online, so I think at least some Finns eat it, but I'm not sure how common this is. But sorry, I don't mean to steal the lutefisk spotlight away from Norway. For lutefisk, Norwegian is the obvious language of choice.

Finland, my food impression just based on old memories. Hardtack with unsalted butter, coffee.   Overly boiled vegetables and more butter. Although, Finnish people tell me that only old people ate so much butter, and that the butter intake of modern Finns is much reduced. Odd brands of beer, that no one has heard of with nearly zero alcohol in it. My mother was always complaining about this.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4834 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 34 of 64
09 December 2011 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
wrote:

Finnish -- What? Crazy. Simply crazy, out of your mind. Cold, snow, frost, ice, cold, mosquitoes, lutefisk,

Finns are a lot of things, including crazy. But the only ones who are crazy enough to eat fish boiled in a
washing detergent - lutefisk - are as far as I know the Norwegians. A lot of us actually have it for Christmas
dinner...

It was my grandmother's go-to Christmas meal of choice. (We're Norwegian and Swedish on that side of the family.) The rest of us couldn't stand the smell. One year as an adult I finally tried it to be sure whether or not I liked it, and I didn't. It wasn't the smell, though that's pretty bad, but the consistency of the fish. The texture was like sucking on gobs of fat, and fish isn't supposed to feel like that. So that was the true turn-off for me.
1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5724 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 35 of 64
09 December 2011 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
I would have said that the stereotypical reason to learn Norwegian was to eat lutefisk until I found out that lutefisk may be more popular in North America than in Norway. Oh well, I'll have to go with this: You learn Norwegian (and Swedish or Finnish) because you are obsessed with Nordic heavy metal bands.

Edited by mick33 on 09 December 2011 at 9:21pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5134 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 36 of 64
09 December 2011 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
Hmm, I've had the lutefisk conversation with a few Finnish people online, so I think at least some Finns eat it, but I'm not sure how common this is. But sorry, I don't mean to steal the lutefisk spotlight away from Norway. For lutefisk, Norwegian is the obvious language of choice.

Obviously I cannot exclude that there are Finns eating lutefisk, but it is a Norwegian specialty. But hey, the only thing some of my Indian pupils and I had in common in the way of food, was that we both loved pizza, and it seems like 50% of the population of my area eat taco for dinner every single Friday, so food travels. I can for the life of me not understand why anyone would fall for anything as revolting as lutefisk, though. I do not know of any food which is worse, in both texture and taste.

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4545 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Russian, Latin, French

Message 37 of 64
09 December 2011 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
German

You love Rammstein.

(Rammstein is a lot more popular with foreigners than with Germans)

True!

Mihoki
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4538 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 38 of 64
10 December 2011 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
when I tell normal people I'm learning japanese their either like, "your a weeaboo" or
"japanese? you mean like 'CHOO CHING WONG CHONG'"

yeaaaaaaaaaaaah >_>

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5253 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 39 of 64
10 December 2011 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
Lutefisk is also eaten in Sweden, but maybe it's not as popular there as in Norway.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5925 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 40 of 64
10 December 2011 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
One might simply judge language learners based on the target language nation's Eurovision song entry.   If the song is in English, then there's no practical reason for learning the language.

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version