United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 225 of 236
17 December 2012 at 12:55am | IP Logged 

For Croatian, I started and stopped, started and stopped, over and over again, and never got anywhere to speak of. It is a beautiful language, I just took too much on this year. I am working on Assimil's Le Croate right now, and will continue that into next year. Once I am finished with Assimil, I will go on a Super Challenge movie spree and try to get as much audio input as possible that way. (I have a bunch of kids movies dubbed into Croatian, but that's all I have.) I really wish I could find some (big people) dubbed TV or movies online somewhere. or audiobooks. I can't find anything, and my Bosnian friends are zero help with it. =(

For German, I got to about lesson 60 of German with Ease, but I lost interest in it. I feel obligated to learn German. I think anyone who speaks 6 or 8 western languages should have a working knowledge of German. [At least if it's me. If it's you, I don't really care.=) ] I want to come back to German some day. There was a point where I was really enjoying it, but like Croatian, it got buried under too many other plans. At this point, thought, I am putting it on the back burner. (Sorry, Mani!)

Portuguese sat on the back burner most of the year, because I could not find any solid resources I was comfortable with. I didn't realize there was already a Brazilian Portuguese course from Assimil, and until the last few months, my French really wasn't solid enough to learn from. I've started the Assimil program, though, and will continue with that into next year. I have a lot of Brazilian friends I've met online over the past year, and I really want to learn their language.

I also spent some time with Turkish, Korean, Japanese, and Norwegian this year. I didn't get very far with any of them, but the first 10 lessons of Assimil's Turkish program really peaked my interested, and I really want to go back to it.

Korean came out of nowhere. Seriously. One day I was stressed out and burned out and was reading HTLAL somewhere and someone said something about kdramas. It didn't take me long to get hooked. Now I desparately want to learn Korean, even at a basic level. I'm not sure Assimil is the best approach for that, but I don't know what other resources for Korean are good. Most of the reviews I have read imply that almost everything out there (in English) is crap, so I am a little disappointed on that front.

More than just the languages I studied this year, though, I learned how I learn. I learned how to discipline myself, to push myself, to tackle something new. And I learned not to be scared. A year ago, I would have *never* considered tackling Russian or Turkish or Korean. They're too different. Too hard. I would fail, simply because I knew I could not do it. Now I'm not afraid. If I put my mind to it, I can learn them. That, I think, was my biggest accomplishment this year.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 226 of 236
17 December 2012 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
One other thing I learned this year, which I have heard from so many experienced language learners. You can't learn 10 languages at a time. Yes, you can make progress, but that progress will be limited. I don't care how good you are, but (unless you're Moses, maybe), studying 10 languages every day is just not going to happen. Five is pushing it. I think three or four is doable, if you are highly motivated and have the time. If you have no life. But I work, I have children, and languages are not the only thing in my life. Next year, I will only be focusing on four or five, and probably trying to hit 3 every day.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 227 of 236
17 December 2012 at 3:36am | IP Logged 

Oh, yippee!

I just discovered that after I type my page-long list (75-80 words) into Google Translate, I can copy and paste both sides into a file and upload it to Anki. And I can use Anki on my phone. I just have to remember to sync it every time I add new stuff. :)

That is going to make it SO much easier to make vocabulary a priority for 2013. So cool!

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4694 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 228 of 236
17 December 2012 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
For German, I got to about lesson 60 of German with Ease, but I lost interest in it. I feel obligated to learn German. I think anyone who speaks 6 or 8 western languages should have a working knowledge of German. [At least if it's me. If it's you, I don't really care.=) ] I want to come back to German some day. There was a point where I was really enjoying it, but like Croatian, it got buried under too many other plans. At this point, thought, I am putting it on the back burner. (Sorry, Mani!)

Ah, as long as I can talk you into learning Welsh and Armenian I see no problem here... ;)

No honestly, Kerrie, if you don't feel up to it now, don't do it. Maybe you will come back to German, maybe you won't, this is something only time will tell. As long as you enjoy learning the languages you're learning everything is fine.

But to comfort you, I'm facing the same problem with Russian. I think I should have a working knowledge of Russian and I really enjoy studying Russian (though I never get far...) but then - after a few lessons - usually something happens in my live and I can't continue.

So, just wanted to say - you're not alone and I think you're doing a great job! Just keep on going and good luck for the next year's languages! :)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 229 of 236
17 December 2012 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 

I almost bought the Assimil book for Armenian over the summer. Maybe some day.

I am glad I'm not the only one who feels like there's a language I /should/ study. I think I just took on more than I should. I am still very happy with the progress I've made in Spanish and French, though.

You should come back if/when you can. I miss you. :)

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5582 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 230 of 236
17 December 2012 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I am like you, I have a tendency to take on more than I should...but cann't help to do it

Danac
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5137 days ago

162 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, Serbo-Croatian, French, Russian, Esperanto

Message 231 of 236
18 December 2012 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

Once I am finished with Assimil, I will go on a Super Challenge movie spree and try to
get as much audio input as possible that way. (I have a bunch of kids movies dubbed
into Croatian, but that's all I have.) I really wish I could find some (big people)
dubbed TV or movies online somewhere. or audiobooks. I can't find anything, and my
Bosnian friends are zero help with it. =(

Hi Kerrie, I just wanted to say that as far as I know, no movies or TV series (for
adults) are dubbed in either Croatia, Bosnia or Serbia, so it's probably impossible to
find. I'd still take advantage of the many movies from each of the modern states, or
perhaps more importantly, the old Yugo movies, many of which can be watched with
subtitles.

Regarding audio books, it's not that widespread yet, although they can be found on the
internet if one knows where to look. As we all know, it goes beyond the scope of this
site to distribute files, so I won't go into that here.

A na kraju poželim ti sreću s učenjem hrvatskog.

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4241 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 232 of 236
18 December 2012 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

(I have a bunch of kids movies dubbed into Croatian, but that's all I have.) I really
wish I could find some (big people) dubbed TV or movies online somewhere. or
audiobooks. I can't find anything, and my Bosnian friends are zero help with it. =(

Not dubbed, but there's plenty of original tv online. There's free,
live tv on HRT and although not
free there's also Nova TV. I just look at their
list of shows and search for them on YouTube. For the past couple of weeks I've been
watching this hilarious, Bosnian series "Lud, Zbunjen, Normalan" on YouTube. You have
to check out at least the first episode, it'll have you on the floor laughing. Also to
be found on YouTube the historical series, "Hrvatski Kraljevi". There's a lot on
YouTube, although I haven't checked out much of it since I just started watching adult
shows recently.

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version