260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 17 of 30
17 December 2011 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 

Volte wrote:
"I don't think that the internet, gadgets, or social networking are
responsible for the popularity of songs"

Very astute observation. Most people were very much into songs and other popular
activities before anything digital ever existed, those activities and that
entertainment just didn't have the audacity of being digital. Nevertheless pundits and
intellectuals have been brooding over people's dislike of the scientific, the
intellectual, the challenging for centuries before computers, or probably even the
abacus.

mrwarper wrote:
"Technology is only one among many causes, and maybe a magnifier for
the others, but not the cause in itself."

Allow me to suggest that most of the time technology is not "the cause of anything" (no
more than you having legs is cause for you to want to compete in a marathon) so much as
it is a medium.
Of course, in some cases, technology might be and sometimes is a cause or even a goal
of something, but much less frequently that people seem to attribute to it.

Iversen wrote:
"The longterm tendency is that ever more people have learnt to read."

And not because technology made you read, never a cause to learn to read, rather a
medium that allows to educate more people, faster, better, more conveniently.

Iversen wrote:
"The short term development is that they now have an alternative,
namely to look at films and and pictures and listen to music through the electronic
media - and the time used there is obviously subtracted from the time they could have
used on reading .... electronic media present an opportunity "

Another good observation. Culture in some sense always is, but the medium is always
changing -- from Socratic circles, to Jesuit convents, to reading, to film and music,
to digital media, to web.
The point is not that you read, or go to a convent. The point is that you learn, you
become more educated, more cultured, and if you want that, if you want to become a
better person it can be achieved by watching TV, or reading wikipedia on a smartphone,
not just by reading a heavy tome in a library.
Technology mostly just made things faster, more convenient. You still have to make the
effort to want to be a better person, what that means and whether to choose to use
_any_ means, digital or not, towards such goals is for you to decide.

aloysius wrote:
"When texting, chatting and in short e-mails to friends and family"

Most people don't end up using text-speak much beyond those context. There's been
studies, if i'm not mistaken.
But think about this, when you drive and you see a stop sign, would you rather it was
punctuated? Would you rather it was a sentence, "dear sir or madam, please stop." Would
you rather have a paragraph from the government on the importance of rules and signs
and the significance of a stop sign at this particular intersection? Probably not. Text
speak is very much the same way, "brb" is short and to the point if used in the
appropriate context.
Just the fact that it's used instead of something else, should tell you that it's
likely a better solution for the task at hand, which is communication.
It's a somewhat different matter, when technology hinders you in your optimal or
preferred manner of going about your business (let's say communicating). For example,
when your software or hardware doesn't allow you to type punctuation, UPPERCASE, limits
message length (ex.: sms), use your preferred language, wrongly autocorrects your
input, or whatever else, then it's a problem that needs and usually is quickly
addressed.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
"I still feel like crying when I see texts in Norwegian that
are so full of mistakes that even I as a dyslexic can find heaps of them, but I guess
with spell checks, spelling correctly is something which is considered obsolete."

People made spelling mistakes before technology to correct mistakes ever existed.
Spelling mistakes tend to correlate to how much people read (visual memory of words)
and time invested in writing, not so much technology. Although technology can in rare
cases introduce small problems like incorrect spellchecking or overcorrecting the
correct usages, something likely to vanish with tech improvements.

1 person has voted this message useful

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4847 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 

Message 18 of 30
17 December 2011 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 

Icaria909 wrote:
"there has been a fundamental change in how students approach
education"

Very true, but all too often this is taken to the extreme: technology is ruining
everything or technology will solve everything. Will it do either? Probably not. Can it
do either? Maybe.

Icaria909 wrote:
"too many people have lost the ability to think critically now that
so much information is right at people's fingertips"

It takes hard work to learn to think critically, and education is highly correlated
with the ability to think critically. Having information available for you to learn
from is a crucial step of education. Thinking critically is a skill that requires
practice and a choice that requires making. To think critically about something also
requires you to have all the pertinent information, so it's back to that.
Also, the level of education has never been higher: more people are educated and those
who are educated know more than ever before. All too often people tend to compare
professors of 50 years ago to soccer moms or factory workers of today, why? Compare
professors of 50 years ago to today's professors, and ditto for the soccer moms or
factory workers.
I also realize you might've been referring to information overload, which is a
completely different phenomena and would warrant a separate discussion.

Icaria909 wrote:
"at least 40% of people write their essays by looking up other's
essays on the same topic online and then go to wikipedia and copy/paste a few sources"

People did that 100 years ago, just took longer. So if it took you 2 hours before to do
by hand, what it takes 10 minutes to do now (including reading and changing your name
on an encyclopedia article): how's that not better.
Anyway, cheating is a kind of educational tool -- it's incredibly valuable ex.: K-12 at
least, with decreasing efficiency with increasing knowledge. And it tends to go away as
you go higher and higher in your level of learning anyway.

Ari wrote:
"I wonder how long it will take until Google launches a plagiarism
algorithm. It shouldn't be too complex. Search through articles and essays written on
the topic and make some comparisons, wind up with an estimation of the likelihood the
essay has been plagiarised."

It's already possible and in place in many institutions. It's also in place in Google
actually, moreover even on massive scale that ranks pages that are "copies" of other
pages as lower in rank, for all the billions and billions of pages that Google indexes.
This is why (well a small part of the reason why) all the blog copy pastes are not
ranked as high as your honest-to-Flying-Spaghetti news articles.

mrwarper wrote:
"If you bothered to learn the proper use of those tools you could it
as well"

Very true and very false. Very false because one could argue then that you could just
as well learn the proper knowledge if you were bothered. The problem is "could". Not
could, should. Everyone should be bothered and should learn both the knowledge and the
tools. If you are an old timer that has the knowledge, it's on you to learn and use the
new tools for all they're worth, ask your kids to help. And if you're a kid who's
already in the know on the tools, you should seek advice of parents and teachers and
peers and get the knowledge to go with it.
So, very true and very false. Very true, because it's just as simple as that: be
bothered, just do it.

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4847 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 

Message 19 of 30
17 December 2011 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
I thought I'd bring up another interesting notion to consider about culture and technology.

This is an interesting article about
Third Culture
written by Kevin Kelly who writes a lot about technology, culture,
books, education and a variety of other topics and well, I might add.

To sum it up, there used to be two widely recognized cultures, first the "high" culture of
literature, cinematography, arts, etc,
the second culture -- culture of science and knowledge, the two somewhat at odds with each
other.
It seems there's an emergent third culture brought about in the recent decades and it's a
culture of technology -- in many ways it's bridging the sciences with arts, but in many ways
it's an entirely new culture of note in and of itself.

Most people on this forum are probably already ardent members of this third culture,
and people who come from older generations, even if they don't plan to jump the bandwagon,
should definitely be at least aware of the phenomenon.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 20 of 30
18 December 2011 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
s0fist wrote:
People made spelling mistakes before technology to correct mistakes ever existed.
Spelling mistakes tend to correlate to how much people read (visual memory of words)
and time invested in writing, not so much technology. Although technology can in rare
cases introduce small problems like incorrect spellchecking or overcorrecting the
correct usages, something likely to vanish with tech improvements.
The visual memory doesn't discriminate between correct and incorrect texts, unless you already know the correct one. My cousin (a native speaker of Russian) loves reading, but he also talks online a lot. So half the time he sees the correct spelling and half the time the incorrect, and he unfortunately needs to think of the rules in order to write correctly:( I, on the other hand, never read much apart from what was required for school, but I think it gave me a huge advantage that I only got an internet access at home at the age of 11, almost 12.

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4852 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 21 of 30
18 December 2011 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
hypersport wrote:
This is already off topic so why not....

As long as schools nowadays want the highest grades turned in so they can get more money steered towards them during annual budget allotment, they're going to continue to allow the students to re-take tests that have been failed and they'll continue to give high marks to papers that have obviously been plagiarised. Google is the students best tool in this world.

The students understand how the game works, the teachers don't teach and there's no incentive to actually learn the stuff. Do what you need to do to get the grade and move on.

I understand that there's a small minority of teachers that really want to teach and of course there's students that really want to learn, but they're in the minority.

The fact that classes in high-schools can now be taken online is amazing to me. My daughter graduated high-school this year and I was continually amazed at how much the teachers don't actually teach...it's amazing.

Find it on google, mod it a bit and turn it in. Next.

In my high school, we had to submit almost all of our assignments on turnitin.com. The system would look for matches between your work and the submissions of all other students. It would also check if any part of it came from the internet.

Edited by espejismo on 18 December 2011 at 6:12am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5027 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 22 of 30
18 December 2011 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
espejismo wrote:
In my high school, we had to submit almost all of our assignments on turnitin.com. The system would look for matches between your work and the submissions of all other students. It would also check if any part of it came from the internet.

Forgot to mention this. In addition, in 'introduction to programming' we had to hand in assignments such and such day in person because in that moment we had to explain the code to the lecturer (why you choose to do this or that way, what every variable was for, etc.). I don't know if someone ever tried to copy, but you'd need luck trying to explain somebody else's code and get away with it...

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4847 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 

Message 23 of 30
18 December 2011 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
The visual memory doesn't discriminate between correct and incorrect
texts, unless you already know the correct one. My cousin (a native speaker of Russian)
loves reading, but he also talks online a lot. So half the time he sees the correct
spelling and half the time the incorrect, and he unfortunately needs to think of the rules
in order to write correctly:( I, on the other hand, never read much apart from what was
required for school, but I think it gave me a huge advantage that I only got an internet
access at home at the age of 11, almost 12.

That's very much true, visual memory does not discriminate, so by extension all those
essays you and I wrote by hand in school helped us develop writing abilities, but also
helped "memorize" the mistakes we made more in much the same way as sms or online speak.
Of course it goes without saying that online speak would have a bigger impact due to much
greater popularity and the consistency of those mistakes, but mostly the impact of
technology here, I think, is not as a primary cause of illiteracy rather than just a
faster way, and again it depends especially on what you read online NYT or chatrooms. In
fact I was very surprise first time around at how much more "proofread" this forum feels
compared to a lot of other ones even ones dedicated to languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 24 of 30
18 December 2011 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
s0fist wrote:

That's very much true, visual memory does not discriminate, so by extension all those
essays you and I wrote by hand in school helped us develop writing abilities, but also
helped "memorize" the mistakes we made more in much the same way as sms or online speak.
Of course it goes without saying that online speak would have a bigger impact due to much
greater popularity and the consistency of those mistakes, but mostly the impact of
technology here, I think, is not as a primary cause of illiteracy rather than just a
faster way, and again it depends especially on what you read online NYT or chatrooms. In
fact I was very surprise first time around at how much more "proofread" this forum feels
compared to a lot of other ones even ones dedicated to languages.
hmm. maybe it's also that to us, writing by hand still feels special. i always did my best to write everything correctly, even before it came naturally to me. my cousin, on the other hand, makes horrible mistakes for example when making notes during history or geography classes, because he can't be bothered to think of the rules when his knowledge of them is not being tested. i'm not old enough to have written more than a dozen of letters by hand but it was always a special for me and i always watched my spelling.

as for this forum, i think that's partly due to the language profiles system. when you claim advanced fluency in English you just can't afford to mix up "your" and "you're" :) (sadly, when you're a native speaker with native fluency, you suddenly can ;_; but i love how this forum promotes respect to those who've learned English as a second language, along the lines of "even non-natives can write well, shame on you if you don't do your best")

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version