Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
30 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 30
19 December 2011 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
I do my text copying by hand because I remember the linguistic quirks better like that. And no, it is not a traumatic experience like the copying scene in Potter IV - I find it relaxing to have a fixed routine and a fixed format, but everchanging languages and themes.

On the other hand I like to write my HTLAL messages and longer texts in particular on a computer because I then can rewrite, correct and reorganize to my heart's delight without having to bother with rubber erasers or - in the worst case - having to to rewrite something from scratch because I had decided to change the order of the elements.

1 person has voted this message useful

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4846 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 26 of 30
20 December 2011 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
hmm. maybe it's also that to us, writing by hand still feels special.
i
always did my best to write everything correctly, even before it came naturally to me.
my
cousin, on the other hand, makes horrible mistakes for example when making notes during
history or geography classes, because he can't be bothered to think of the rules when
his
knowledge of them is not being tested. i'm not old enough to have written more than a
dozen of letters by hand but it was always a special for me and i always watched my
spelling.

Iversen wrote:
I do my text copying by hand because I remember the linguistic quirks
better like that. And no, it is not a traumatic experience like the copying scene in
Potter IV - I find it relaxing to have a fixed routine and a fixed format, but
everchanging languages and themes.
On the other hand I like to write my HTLAL messages and longer texts in particular on a
computer because I then can rewrite, correct and reorganize to my heart's delight
without
having to bother with rubber erasers or - in the worst case - having to to rewrite
something from scratch because I had decided to change the order of the elements.

This reminded me about a blog post
vas">
Do you still handwrite and why is that important to you (in Russian)

that I read just the other day from
one of my favorite Russian bloggers ,
it was describing some feedback obtained during some advertising campaign (by Moleskine
I believe). I won't go through the entire article but a lot of people still write, like
to write, or prefer to write by hand citing lots of reasons from feelings of
individuality, to the physical connection, to becoming a better person and a better
learner through handwriting.

I wish the article provided more concrete data about ages, hobbies and occupations of
those in attendance (obviously it's very skewed since these were comments from people
attending a specific 'notebook'-centric event).

While I hold no particular malice towards handwriting, I can't say I myself would
choose
to handwrite anything anymore. But it's interesting how many people still do.

Edit: tried to make the links work, hopefully that did it.

Edited by s0fist on 20 December 2011 at 6:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4930 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 27 of 30
20 December 2011 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
s0fist wrote:

While I hold no particular malice towards handwriting, I can't say I myself would choose
to handwrite anything anymore. But it's interesting how many people still do.

There's something to be said for writing out your thoughts. But you can use technology effectively too.

I use an app called "Genial Writing" on my Android tablet all the time. It's as quick and as accurate as pen & paper. And I can have as many "notebooks" as I want. It stays as my own handwriting though - no OCR to translate it to searchable text. That would make it about as perfect as I could want.

R.
==

leosmith
United States
Joined 6350 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 28 of 30
20 December 2011 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
s0fist wrote:
While I hold no particular malice towards handwriting, I can't say I myself would
choose to handwrite anything anymore. But it's interesting how many people still do.

I find it interesting that people on the internet talk about handwriting as if it's something practiced by a small
minority of people.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5026 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 29 of 30
21 December 2011 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
There's a very interesting device called 'electronic pen', I just purchased one called ZPen from Dane-elec for about $50. There are huge variations to the theme, price, and capabilities, but after some research this seemed the best for me.

You write on normal paper using a normal pen fill, only it is inserted on a special emitter pen, and you have a receiver clipped to one side of a letter size paper sheet, or smaller. The emitter-receiver pair store a very accurate vector record of your scribbling on an USB memory. Once you're finished writing, you have the usual paper with your stuff on it, plus an electronic copy of every page.

This electronic copy can be left as is and exported to PDF for printing etc., but even the cheap-o version of the bundled software can also recognize your writing (within some limits I guess) and store it as text. I haven't tested it heavily yet, but allegedly it has support for (maybe) 20 different languages (Russian script is listed), and if your handwriting isn't all that good you must train it to be really effective, so it's apparently such a nifty piece of work that you probably don't need to purchase the 'advanced' versions of the companion programs to make it any more useful.

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4846 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 30 of 30
22 December 2011 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
I find it interesting that people on the internet talk about handwriting
as if it's something practiced by a small minority of people.

I wasn't talking about minorities or majorities, I was talking about a choice.

A majority of people probably don't even have a choice to make about handwriting, not
everyone has or can afford a laptop or s tablet or something similar that is portable,
convenient, efficient, and meshes with their style.

Some types of jobs don't give you a choice no matter how strongly you feel about the
subject (and this can be either way either forcing handwritten forms or electronic
documents).

Some schools force students (or give them the opportunity, depends how you view it) to buy
a laptop, and a great many choose to take notes electronically while others use laptop as a
paperweight or a backboard to their favorite notebook. Majority of students still take math
notes by hand (mostly for conveniency), as did I, but I sometimes wonder if I still
wouldn't have preferred typed math notes if I knew for example Latex.

The point I was trying to make is you have to have the choice first (both the hardware and
software that match handwriting closely in convenience and efficiency).

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version