Triglot
Canada
Joined 5231 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 25 of 38
11 December 2011 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
If you look at dialects of Spanish, you will notice all types of phonetic phenomena. And it's the same in English. Just today I was listening to an British accent on the radio and I found it a bit difficult to understand. As I said earlier, the fundamental problem is not so much the actual phonetics but the fact that we are not used to a manner of speaking. I'm sure that certain Britons must find forms of North American English difficult to understand.

Edited by s_allard on 12 December 2011 at 6:02pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5667 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 26 of 38
11 December 2011 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
In German, the most common simplifications are -en becoming 'n
basically everywhere.

In Dutch, the n in -en is almost always silent. That is especially challenging for
English speakers who "really want" to pronounce those n's to complete the word. And
almost every Dutch verb ends with -en in the infinitive, and most nouns form the plural
with -en. So it is very common. I am told that Dutch students are taught to pronounce the
n. But the only time I seem to hear the n is when Queen Beatrix reads the Throne Speech
in the Dutch Parliament. In other words, it is pronounced in very formal and deliberate
speech, but rarely in conversation. So I have, with a great deal of difficulty, taught
myself to drop the n, but it still sneaks in all too often.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jarvis1000
Diglot
Groupie
United States
want2speakthai.com
Joined 4689 days ago

74 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*, Thai
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 38
12 December 2011 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Am I the only one who finds conversation much, much easier to understand than radio announcers? At least with
Mandarin and Cantonese, I have little trouble in conversation, and listening to a "talk show" is pretty alright, but as
soon as you get to announcements, ads, news and such, I'm lost. This might have something to do with different
registers, though.

I find this in Thai...I feel part of the issue with Thai at least is that they have 3 levels of vocabulary and conversational vocabulary is a completely different set of words than Formal vocabulary vs the royal. For example, you = Khun(common), Thaan(formal), Pra ong(royal). And its not just a few words. Almost the entire vocabulary changes at each register and does not have a relation to the common register. I don't know if Mandarin or cantonese is the same or not though

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5231 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 28 of 38
12 December 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
It remains to be seen what the long term results will be like, but I signed up to be a beta tester for Brazilian Portuguese. I know that here at HTLAL we see our fair share of kooky ideas. Some people may recall some time ago that young fellow who tried to go without sleep for 72 hours (I think) while listening to Michel Thomas Russian tapes. That experiment quickly crashed and burned.

This Rhythmic Repetition Method seems much more serious and not just some newfangled flash in the pan. There are credible theoretical foundations. The founder is trained in linguistics and in music. And since he actually teaches English, he has the opportunity to actually experiment in the classroom. The initial results seem very encouraging.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5812 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 29 of 38
12 December 2011 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
This Rhythmic Repetition Method seems much more serious and not just some newfangled flash in the pan. There are credible theoretical foundations. The founder is trained in linguistics and in music. And since he actually teaches English, he has the opportunity to actually experiment in the classroom. The initial results seem very encouraging.

However, it still exhibits one of the core properties of fads as identified by Wilfried Decoo, in that it "draws its originality and its force from a concept that is stressed above all others."

However, with most methods:
Decoo wrote:
Typical is that such a single idea, which only represents a component, becomes the focal point as if being the total method. This publicity-rhetoric gives the impression of total reform, while often all that happens is a shift in accentuation, or the viewing from a different angle, because many common components remain included in each method.

However, Ness is throwing out absolutely everything but his core concept. He's throwing out not only the things that don't work in mainstream teaching, but also the things that do. I find this kind of dangerous.
3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5231 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 30 of 38
12 December 2011 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
I will withhold judgment about whether RPT is a fad until I have more evidence. In the meantime I think it's interesting to to see the convergence of this method with the work of Dr Olle Kjellin who is very well known here. I should point out that whereas much of Dr Kjellin's work seems oriented towards correcting improper pronunciation (accent addition not reduction, as he terms it), the RPT method is aimed at beginners. And, of course, RPT places particular emphasis on the use of rhythm. One sees why this approach is somewhat targeted towards musicians and music fans.

Both methods do emphasize the importance of neurological processes in the development of good pronunciation. I will admit to not being able to follow all the technical discussion about the neural pathways, but there is no doubt that Dr Kjillin knows what he is talking about.

There is certainly a lot of anecdotal evidence that these methods do work. To wit, here is something I saw on the net about using nursery rhymes to teach American English pronunciation:

"Using Nursery Rhymes to Teach American English Pronunciation Patterns
October 26, 2009
By susan

Nursery rhymes can be fun and effective way to teach American English pronunciation patterns.

That’s because nursery rhymes can be used to model the syllable stress, sentence stress and intonation patterns of spoken English. The repetitive nature of rhymes can help adults learn the rhythm of the language that is so important for a natural sounding accent. Rhymes also provide short phrases that can be used to demonstrate linking and reductions.

Dr. Olle Kjellin, a neurologist and language teacher from Sweden says that students must repeat a phrase 50-100 times in order to get a phonological “feel” for it. If that’s true, the repetitive nature of rhymes can be used to achieve this in a fun way.

Here is the popular nursery rhyme Jack & Jill marked with sentence stress. The CONTENT and FOCUS words are highlighted.

JACK and JILL went UP the HILL,
To FETCH a pail of WAter;
JACK fell DOWN and BROKE his CROWN,
And JILL came tumbling AFter.

Here it is again marked with sentence stress + the schwa vowel sound in reduced syllables.

JACK ən JILL went UP thə HILL

tə FETCH ə pail əf WAter

JACK fell DOWN ən BROKE his CROWN

ən JILL came tumbling AFter

American children learn the rhythmic aspects of English using rhymes, songs and poems. These should work for adult learners too." source

Edited by s_allard on 12 December 2011 at 6:02pm

fomalhaut
Groupie
United States
Joined 4704 days ago

80 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 31 of 38
12 December 2011 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
yeah the science behind it is solid; do we not do the same thing? Shadowing is a repetition of native speaking to pick up speech patterns and melody, is it not?

this is the same thing, but with music. My German has gotten much better since i've started to listen to rap, and rapping along with it was at first actually physically impossible for my muscles to do, but after practice, it's possible.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5231 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 32 of 38
13 December 2011 at 5:03am | IP Logged 
I have just returned from a two-hour workshop in advanced Spanish (C1/C2) level at a local university. It was one of the worst learning experiences in my life. I don't know if that qualifies as mainstream, but it certainly was terrible. There were 7 students including myself. One person hogged the floor for most of the class. The teacher was this very young recent graduate from a Spanish university who was here as some teaching assistant paid by the Spanish government. This young woman had obviously no training in pedagogy and knew nothing about managing a group of adults. After a short examination of verbs SER and ESTAR where most of us learned nothing new, we spent the rest of the time taking turns reading and commenting a newspaper article downloaded from the Net. I kept asking myself: "Why am I here?" What am I learning? The whole thing was such a waste of time, especially since I had to listen to that person next to me go on and on. It was like sitting in on a private class between the teacher and this student. In two hours, I think a spoke a total of 5 minutes. A total waste of my time.

All this made me think that Idahosa's idea of incorporating rhythm and rap into the language learning process can't be worse than what I have just lived through. It would be certainly more fun and probably more useful

Edited by s_allard on 13 December 2011 at 3:48pm

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version