linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5812 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 33 of 38
13 December 2011 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
This young woman had obviously no training in pedagogy and knew nothing about managing a group of adults.

I think that says it all. Why use an example of bad class to support a complete change in methodology? It's a massive non-sequitur.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5231 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 34 of 38
13 December 2011 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
Actually, after that terrible Spanish workshop the other day, I gave some thought to how I would have run it. In fact, at our language meetup group from time to time I do workshops on subjects in advanced French grammar. The workshop lasts about an hour and what I try to do is to engage everybody actively. I do a lot of choral repetition along the lines of what Dr Olle Killijn suggests and I use minidialogs between participants. It's nothing like Idahosa's RPT of course, but people seem to like it very much. The feedback has been totally positive. I am thinking about incorporating some of Idahosa's ideas in future workshops.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6504 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 38
13 December 2011 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
There's no way an English beginner is going to recognize four distinct words "I am going to" in the single spoken word "amana", the words "what are you" in "wucha", or the words "did you eat" in "jeet". But once you learn "amana", "wucha", and "jeet" (plus shorter phrase-words like "goda", "gunna" and "wanna") you can recognize them and use them yourself.

There are written dictionaries for written sources, but a dictionary for spoken sources would either be based on invented spellings or it would be a speech recognition system with a liberal attitude. But I do see the need for books or - better - homepages in different languages where very standardized 'spoken abbreviations' were listed. Of course you can eventually learn them if you listen enough, but only if the situation or other clues tell what they mean - not just by listening to endless meaningless babble.

Less standardized 'simplified' spoken forms are in my opinion best learnt when you already know what the full versions would be. The keyword here is "less standardized" - if nobody would ever say the full form it is better to acknowledge that there a special spoken expression, but then we need a place to look it up, on papir or in digital form.   

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5812 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 36 of 38
13 December 2011 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
fiziwig wrote:
There's no way an English beginner is going to recognize four distinct words "I am going to" in the single spoken word "amana", the words "what are you" in "wucha", or the words "did you eat" in "jeet". But once you learn "amana", "wucha", and "jeet" (plus shorter phrase-words like "goda", "gunna" and "wanna") you can recognize them and use them yourself.

There are written dictionaries for written sources, but a dictionary for spoken sources would either be based on invented spellings or it would be a speech recognition system with a liberal attitude. But I do see the need for books or - better - homepages in different languages where very standardized 'spoken abbreviations' were listed. Of course you can eventually learn them if you listen enough, but only if the situation or other clues tell what they mean - not just by listening to endless meaningless babble.

"Abbreviation" is a misleading term here, and also a good reason why any attempt to write a "phonetically correct" rendering of slang versions.

The terminology I'm used to is "reduced forms", because you can't always identify specific missing phonemes -- they're often all reduced. In English, for example, all the vowels end up as schwa. In glottal accents, the Ts are normally present as a very slight glottalised form, particularly if there's a lot of vowels about, and "I would have" reduces to I'd-a or I'd'v depending on the next letter.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6271 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 37 of 38
13 December 2011 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
For anyone wishing to use this method for Chinese, may I recommend the song "中国话" by
S.H.E.? It's not just fast as hell, it also contains tongue twisters. If you can sing
along to this, you can do ANYTHING in Chinese.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5231 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 38 of 38
14 December 2011 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
If you want a relatively accurate representation of speech, you have to use a system of phonetic transcription. That is what it is for. And this is why many teaching materials use the IPA system. Interestingly, most American materials do not use IPA, preferring some home-made system that is not very accurate but is supposedly easier to learn.

What we are discussing here is more transliteration than transcription, i.e. trying to represent certain pronunciations by ordinary letters. We write things like "gonna" or "whassup" (what's up), etc. In French, "chu" is often used to represent a pronunciation of "je suis." All of this is inaccurate at best and not always standardized. Written English has a few standardized forms such as "I'm, I'd, he's, don't", but the representation of dialectal forms is a different story. In this regard, it should be pointed out that the great 1884 novel "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain was written in various southern American dialects.

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version