Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 273 of 276
31 December 2012 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
I think you are a harsh critic Brun Ugle. It took me three years of Japanese "study" to get around to reading just the first Harry Potter book, and even then I expect you did a better job at understanding the details than me.

In one year, you have completed RTK, learned a few thousand words and actually read some books written for adults in a language that is notoriously difficult to read. That really is impressive.

Intermediate Japanese often feels like one long plateau and it can be difficult to get some perspective on where you really are and how far you have really come.

If anything, I think this would be a good opportunity to reflect on what you really want to do with Japanese. As you have noted, your skills are quite imbalanced right now. However, if Japanese is most important to you as a reading language, I don't think that is a problem!
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 274 of 276
31 December 2012 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Thank you. You're very sweet.

According to my therapist, people with Asperger syndrome are always harsh self-critics. She says that where a normal person would say they are very good at something, we will barely admit to knowing a little bit.

However, I still think my progress this year wasn't all that great. And I'm sure it took me more than three years of study before I got to Harry Potter. I've had an on-again-off-again relationship with Japanese for about 15 years! I'm not sure how many actual years of study that adds up to, but I'm sure it's more than three. I had to keep starting over, or almost.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4679 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 275 of 276
05 January 2013 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle, do know reverse psychology? I just had to read your year-end review after you told us not to ;) From what I read on your blog about the books you read it seems like you're pretty good at Japanese! I don't know what your level was at the beginning of the year, but you probably got quite a bit better. Whenever I read your blog and see your Super Challenge book count I'm inspired by your dedication to language study! And to think that you did all that while going through depression? That makes it an almost impossible feat in my eyes.

Edited by druckfehler on 05 January 2013 at 6:45pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 276 of 276
05 January 2013 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Thanks guys. I still feel like I haven't gotten very far, but I guess it's partly a matter of forgetting where I started this year and partly the interminable intermediate plateau.

And technically speaking, I was only clinically depressed about four months of 2012. However I was depressed almost the entire 2011, so it did last a while. I also a lot of stress last year what with losing my job and everything and it was nice to have such supportive teammates and others who dropped by now and then. Thank you so much, everyone!

As for the Super Challenge, I'm not doing so badly book-wise, but writing is probably almost a lost cause. I can still hardly write anything, so I hope I get faster soon or I'm going to have to write a novel at the end of the year. My movies aren't going too well either, though except for the first few movies, I haven't been counting rewatching things or listening to audiobooks, so I can count that if I get desperate.

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version