Joined 4861 days ago

69 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 17 of 47
25 December 2011 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
Japanese
Daily Anki: 67.8min
Worked through today's 天声人語. Even if I have looked up every new word I still can't grasp some of the sentences, such as 「被災地には積もるべき屋根がない。」 and 「被災者を含む弱者にピンポイントで暖を届 ける時なのに、来年度予算案をめぐる迷走と 裏切り、小細工はどうだろう。」 A lot to learn!

German
Deutsch Interaktiv A1.2 L7 T4
Daily Anki: 9.3min
1 person has voted this message useful

Everplayer
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4861 days ago

69 posts - 85 votes 

Message 18 of 47
26 December 2011 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Japanese
Daily Anki: 64.2min
Old L3 listening exercises with transcript

German
Daily Anki: 7.1min

Everplayer
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4861 days ago

69 posts - 85 votes 

Message 19 of 47
27 December 2011 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Japanese
Daily Anki: 56.1min
While working on the old L3 listening exercises I find that the basic vocabulary and grammar may handle so many different situations which I have considered impossible to describe without some "advanced words". Subtlety in Japanese plays a big part. I definitely need to spend more time on these "basics" to "feel" it before I move on.

But vocabulary is still my priority at the moment. Anki will move on to N2 adjectives on Thursday and then to N2 verbs next week.

German
Daily Anki: 6.6min

Everplayer
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4861 days ago

69 posts - 85 votes 

Message 20 of 47
28 December 2011 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Japanese
Daily Anki: 61.8min

German
Daily Anki: 5.5min

Everplayer
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4861 days ago

69 posts - 85 votes 

Message 21 of 47
29 December 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Japanese
Daily Anki: 56.4min

German
Deutsch Interaktiv A1.2 L7 T5
Daily Anki: 8.1min

Everplayer
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4861 days ago

69 posts - 85 votes 

Message 22 of 47
30 December 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Japanese
Daily Anki: 75.0min
one hour of listening to old L3 material

German
Daily Anki: 5.5min

Everplayer
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4861 days ago

69 posts - 85 votes 

Message 23 of 47
31 December 2011 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
Summary for December 2011 (2011-12-31):
Japanese:
Vocabulary: Starting using Anki to memorize N2 vocabulary on 8th Dec, 2011, I have finished first round study of all nouns and adjectives in this word list, or 2058/3230 as of today. For the rest of this list, I will proceed slower on verbs, adverbs, and proverbs but faster on katakana words. Overall I would like to pace my study so as to finish the list by the end of January. I have also collected many new words from my recent readings and there will be more to come. Nonetheless I decide to study them only after I finish the word lists. The rationale is that it is reported that an average grade six Japanese kid already knows about 20000 words while JLPT N1 requires only the knowledge of about 12000 words to pass so the word lists for passing JLPT definitely contain the more common/useful ones for learners. Learning words in context helps retention a lot but there are too many words out there. Therefore I consider building foundation on compiled word lists a better choice for now.

Listening: I have been listening to a set of old level 3 listening materials (I have forgotten when and from where I got it), spending probably three hours a week. I will spend more time on listening and strive to understand all the 100+ exercises with ease in January.

Reading: I have read three pieces of writings in detail since I started the Log. It was enjoyable but disproportionately time-consuming. I will adjust my reading practice to browsing and allocate more time to listening.

Grammar: This is the least of my worries and not a learning objective until February or March.

Speaking: My major weaknesses are speaking and listening. I occasionally try to mimic what I hear but I desperately need to understand it first.

Writing: The written Japanese has a style pretty close to Chinese, not to say it uses more kanji which is handy for me. I will practise grammar by writing in future.

--------------
German:
I have only done one and half lessons of Deutsch Interaktiv A1.2 in December. As I am still reviving the memory of some beginner German I learnt before, I will gather a little speed next month. I am looking to finish the remaining three lessons of A1.2 in January.

--------------------
Japanese
Daily Anki: 61.1min

German
Daily Anki: 6.9min
----------------------------
P.S.
I was once torn between logging only meaningful stuff like most people on this forum do, and, logging daily activities in short posts which are most likely of little use to other viewers. I chose the latter and understood that someday perhaps no one would see my log at all. But this is the more meaningful way for me as I have been constantly frustrated by procrastination and straying away from my plans in the past. I hope I can keep logging my progresses over the next 366 days.

Edited by Everplayer on 31 December 2011 at 2:44pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 24 of 47
31 December 2011 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Everplayer wrote:
P.S.
I was once torn between logging only meaningful stuff like most people on this forum do, and, logging daily activities in short posts which are most likely of little use to other viewers. I chose the latter and understood that someday perhaps no one would see my log at all. But this is the more meaningful way for me as I have been constantly frustrated by procrastination and straying away from my plans in the past. I hope I can keep logging my progresses over the next 366 days.

I've started logging hours for the first time, as a way to keep myself from straying away from my goals. It looks like you have a good start to the New Year! 良いお年を!

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version