Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 64
13 December 2011 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
We have a thread going now, about attitudes towards Russian, which is getting more and more heated. I have suggested that they give us some good reason to study Russian, but perhaps they feel that this would derail the thread, so I am opening up a new one.

What are your reasons to study Russian, or what do you think are the best reasons to study Russian, whether you study it yourself or not?

My personal reasons for studying Russian is that it is useful for my work, since the organisation that we are working with is filling up with Russian speakers who do not speak Western languages well. I also have friends in Ukraine that I need to keep in touch with.

And I must say that I have fallen head over heels in love with the language. It is more difficult than anything else I have ever done, but I love the sound of it, and I even love the grammar - complicated as it is.

On a side note, I was offered a job in the Armenian railways on Thursday, because I was able to greet the high official who only spoke Russian, in his mother tongue. As I suspected the job offer entailed tasks not normally covered by Norwegian work contracts, I politely declined :-)

1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4866 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 2 of 64
13 December 2011 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
The obvious reason is to be able to communicate with people from the former Soviet Union.
"It is more difficult than anything else I have ever done, but I love the sound of it,
and I even love the grammar - complicated as it is."
You know many languages, but Swedish and Danish are very close to your mothertongue.
German and English are not very far too. French you learnt in France, Spanish and Italian
are similar to French. Is it regular morphology that makes Turkish easier than Russian?

Edited by Марк on 13 December 2011 at 3:01pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 3 of 64
13 December 2011 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
The obvious reason is to be able to communicate with people from the former Soviet Union.

Oh, no, Mark, I am counting on you to be a LOT more creative than that. :-) There must be a lot of reasons why you think people should learn Russian, as I can see that this is a topic you are passionate about.

Tolstoy, Pushkin, music, ballet, food - the tundra, the humour, the ability of surviving in hard times. What do you think would be the best reasons why people should learn Russian?

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4866 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 4 of 64
13 December 2011 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
As with any language you can be attracted by the language itself or by the culture which
is behind it. Russian culture is similar to the Western European culture, but has many
unique features.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 5 of 64
13 December 2011 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Russian culture is similar to the Western European culture, but has many
unique features.

Such as :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5072 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 6 of 64
13 December 2011 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Russian literature, Dr. Zhivago, Dostoyevsky, Gogol. Who wouldn't want to be able to read Chekov in the original! Another reason would be to know the Russian people who have survived so many hardships in their history and have created such artistic beauty despite those hardships, not only literature but music, dance and poetry as well.

Besides, some day, I want to travel across Russia from Moscow to Vladivostok on the Siberian Express, to meet the people who were once considered "the enemy". It would be nice to be able to communicate with the Russian people, the majority of whom do not speak English.

Edited by iguanamon on 13 December 2011 at 3:16pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4866 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 7 of 64
13 December 2011 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Russian is a typical Slavic language and probably Indo-European language. I was thinking
of opening a thread about interesting points of Russian as a language. But we can discuss
it here. That's how my interest to Irish arose.

Oleg
Triglot
Groupie
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5639 days ago

57 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Polish, English
Studies: Spanish, French, Italian

Message 8 of 64
13 December 2011 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Mark, I'm sure you're going to think I'm not only trolling but also following you thread after thread, but I can't help it: Russian isn't a typical Slavic language. Actually, it's not even a typical East Slavic one. =)

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version