United States
Joined 6492 days ago

115 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 9 of 36
14 December 2011 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
French is more widely spoken than English there, but I ran into lots of both, some years back. And there were a huge number of vendors who spoke at least a smattering of quite a lot of languages; Spanish was common, but basic trade words in even Japanese weren't rare.

Yes, I found that Moroccan touts and salespeople can pull off lots of languages in their attempts to get money out of you. Rest assured, people who speak English will find you if you look "western" enough (anything vaguely European or North American, basically).

Istanbul, Belgrade and Bangkok seemed to be the least Anglophone cities you mentioned. Of course, you can certainly find English speakers, but I found that those three cities have many people who don't speak much (plus, if you learn Turkish, BCS/Serbian or Thai to a reasonable extent, I imagine most people there would be extremely happy to help you out with those languages, since foreigners rarely learn them).
1 person has voted this message useful

July
Diglot
Spain
Joined 5073 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishB2
Studies: French

Message 10 of 36
14 December 2011 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
If you're going to learn Spanish and speak it in Madrid, go in the next ten years. At the
moment, outside of hotels and tourist hospitality, most people will do anything to avoid
having to speak English in public and will be happy to speak Spanish with you. But the
language education policy has changed, and the little kids are getting more and more
bilingual.

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5203 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 11 of 36
14 December 2011 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
In Belgrade you'll find loads of English speakers. As well as in most northern cities in
Serbia. In my town which is near Novi Sad almost all teenagers and young adults speak
English to varying degrees, but very few adults do. I had the same observation about
people from Belgrade and Novi Sad. I'd say about two thirds of people between 15 and 25
speak English.

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5073 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 12 of 36
14 December 2011 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
Delodephius wrote:
In Belgrade you'll find loads of English speakers. As well as in most northern cities in
Serbia. In my town which is near Novi Sad almost all teenagers and young adults speak
English to varying degrees, but very few adults do. I had the same observation about
people from Belgrade and Novi Sad. I'd say about two thirds of people between 15 and 25
speak English.

I'd be interested in seeing how many people in Pirot and Raska speak English well. I wonder if it's a geographical
thing (proximity to the EU, although actually Bulgaria now is technically that just as much as Hungary) or it has more
to do with the Internet/media.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4856 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 13 of 36
14 December 2011 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
Wellcome to Russia! Most adults do not speak English. Young people are not very good at
it either. The same is true for all the former Soviet Union.
4 persons have voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5951 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 14 of 36
14 December 2011 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
My primary aim for learning languages is to converse with locals when I'm travelling. As others have mentioned, most of the places you've mentioned are high profile tourist destinations, and the locals will have varying degrees of English. The main places I found English lacking were in South America, mainly Cuba and also Argentina.

If I was to advise learning another language for travelling it would be Spanish, as it's possible to develop a proficiency in a reasonable time frame. China also lacks English speakers, but the language requires a serious degree of commitment to get to a very basic level. As Mapk mentions, Russian is a widely spoken language. While St.Petersburg is English friendly, I've heard Moscow can be challenging for non Russian speakers.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5203 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 15 of 36
14 December 2011 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
Merv wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing how many people in Pirot and Raska
speak English well. I wonder if it's a geographical
thing (proximity to the EU, although actually Bulgaria now is technically that just as
much as Hungary) or it has more
to do with the Internet/media.

I'd say they speak less English than people in the north, but it has less to do with
the proximity to the EU. For instance, Slovakia is in the EU and very few Slovaks can
speak English (as a Lowland Slovak coming from a non-EU, war-devastated country, I was
almost shocked when I went to Slovakia for a month at how little and how few of Slovaks
can speak or just understand English, compared to my "primitive" countrymen).
Bulgarians and Romanians too speak English poorly. Hungarians are somewhere between
them and the Serbs, well northern Serbs. It has more to do with culture and lifestyle
rather than education. We here in the north watch a lot of English TV, from Cartoon
Network to the History Channel and Fox. In the south they stick more to traditional
Serbian TV. We are also much more modern (north votes liberal, south votes
conservative), and we always make fun of southerners being backwards and primitive, the
same we say of Bulgarians, who are in the EU as I said. Plus the general
multilingualism of the north. Vojvodina has six official languages so people are more
open to learning new ones and value the usefulness and new experience of knowing more
languages.

EDIT: Oh, and the internet. We use a lot more of that. I wonder if they even have any
cable internet down south.

Edited by Delodephius on 14 December 2011 at 1:29pm

Mad Max
Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 4851 days ago

79 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Russian
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 16 of 36
14 December 2011 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Well, Spanish is useful in South America, The USA, Caribbean, Mexico, Spain, etc. But
it's also useful in Morocco, Portugal and Italy.

Last year I was in Rome and I spoke in Spanish, and Italians spoke in Italian or even a
Spanish-Italian mixture. We could understand each other perfectly. The same in Portugal
and Morocco.

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version