Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 33 of 36
14 December 2011 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
blackverve wrote:
Марк wrote:
Wellcome to Russia! Most adults do not speak English. Young people are not
very good at
it either. The same is true for all the former Soviet Union.

YES, Russian here I come! Although, it's not on my list. How hard is Russian? Are they anti-English? Is that why it
seems like it's the only place English hasn't conquered?

No one in my experience is "anti-English" unless you choose to be obnoxious about it. Usually attempting just a few
words in Russian, or whatever other language is native to the area, is enough to break the ice. Most likely what will
end up happening is that you and whomever you are conversing with will end up using a unique combination of
English, the local language, hand gestures, and whatever other mutual language(s) you might share. In the end,
you'll be able to communicate.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4809 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 34 of 36
14 December 2011 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
In all of those cities you can find such locals. From my experience it may be hard in Paris (the more that most of the Paris has become the tourist area, or at least I got the impression last time I was there) but Spain or Italy seems to be more friendly in this.

Perhaps add other cities to your list. I don't mean villages, just other cities than capitals. Southern cities in France are said to be less English-speaking. Barcelona is awesome. Crete is perfect. Whole Japan is wonderful (English you hear there is usually not good. but the people might want to speak it anyway). I know it's not on your list but still.

And remember that compulsory English at school means nothing. Most people leave the school with nearly no practical knowledge or skills in the language. And that applies to most countries in my opinion.

"Je ne parle pas anglais" is always an option, even though in your case, as a native, it might be too much of a lie. I can always make them believe by chatting in Czech with someone traveling with me. I dislike to lie but sometimes there is no other choice. Not because of my practice only, but as well because of the level of the speaker or because of some complicated situations requiring me to think in three languages at once- target language I try to speak, English the person replies, and Czech for my family asking "What does he say?".

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6382 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 35 of 36
15 December 2011 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
blackverve wrote:
I always wonder how all the people in these countries remember English even though they don't use it daily. I learnt French in school but I wouldn't be able to speak to a French tourist.

They (we) do use it daily. English is the international language. Look at how many people on this website, which is in English, are non-native speakers. Also, you must understand that when a German meets a Pole, a Swede a Chinese or an Indian a Venezuelan, they're much more likely to speak in English than in any of their mother tongues. Outside of English-speaking countries, most conversations in English are between two non-native speakers. For most Swedes, Swedish is the language used to talk to other Swedes, and English is the language used to talk to everyone else (often including Norwegians and Danes, whose languages are more or less mutually intelligible with Swedish). And while people on the countryside might not often come into contact with people from other countries, people in larger cities do.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4856 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 36 of 36
15 December 2011 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
Before I came to this and some other forums, I hadn't used English for years. I live in a
very large city, Moscow, and often meet foreigners (they work in shops and in many other
places) but we speak Russian and it is usually the only foreign language they know.
There were two or three times when I had to use English beyond the classroom, becides the
week I spent in Denmark.

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version