Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 25 of 292
18 January 2012 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
I'm working on the French tenses. I'm a really big fan "signal words"; I use them when I teach the English tenses to the school kids. I'm going to put a few of them here since I browse through posts at least once a week. Who knows it may turn out to be better than cracking open a book. It's worth a try:

For passé composé I have the following signal words:
tout à coup, alors, soudain, ce matin, à ce moment-là, une fois/x-fois, un jour, ensuit, enfin

exception: verbs after "pendant" or a specific duration of time in the past.

Imparfait:
chaque fois, toujours, pendant que, comme d'habitude, ne……jamais, tous les...,   

For next 5 days I'd like to do le subjonctif (-'๏_๏'-)   ..

bien que
quoique
malgré que
de crainte que
de peur que
pour que
afin que
supposé que
de sorte que
sans que
à moins que...ne
jusqu'à ce que
à condition que

il est naturel/necessaire/normal/rare/important/dommage...que

il veut que

je suis (adjectives of regret, satisfaction, need etc)

EDIT: oo, some of those are kind of hard, especially the word order with the "expletive ne". This will help:
Cache le cadeau avant qu'il ne le voie. Hide the gift before he sees it.
Je vais lui dire, à moins qu'il ne sache déjà. I'm going to tell him, unless he already knows.

EDIT2: I came in to check my posts and I feel like I've learned something! Let's do a few more sentences...
Veuillez me dire si vous avez besoin de quoi que ce soit d'autre
Quoi qu' il dise, ils ne le croiront pas.
Il ne voyage jamais de peur qu' il puisse lui arriver un accident.

More "expletive ne" senteces courtesy of About.com:

Elle a pleuré avant qu'elle ne se soit endormie.
Je crains qu'il ne soit mort.
Je ne doute pas qu'elle ne l'a fait.
Il est parti avant que nous n'ayons décidé.
C'est facile à moins que tu ne sois trop faible.

I'm giving myself too much to look at here, but these expletive ne sentences really bug me!

Travaillez avant qu'il ne soit trop tard. Je sortirai ce soir à moins qu'il ne pleuve.
L'hôtesse de l'air répète les consignes de sécurité pour éviter que les passagers ne les oublient.
Je crains que vous ne soyez fatiguée après ce long voyage.
Je ne doute pas que vous ne fassiez des progrès.
Exemple, avec une petite astuce pour éviter que votre chat ne rapporte des oiseaux indésirables. This last one is from "Yabla" and I like their explanation. The "ne" doesn't negate the sentence, it "highlights its negative connotations".
I think I get it...

Edited by Sunja on 22 January 2012 at 7:00pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 26 of 292
22 January 2012 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
I've found Quizlet which has some games for the subjonctif (De-Fr). I've been playing a bit this morning and it's fun, but I think I like my "word salad" sentences better. With the exception of the first one, these are my sentences -- and they aren't very good -- but they help me to remember how to use the subjonctif. Unscrambling the word helps me with the spelling. It's a lot of work to come up with sentences but I need to practice anyway.

Elle croit qu'il fitufs de s'inscrire au cours pour obtenir une attestation
She thinks it's enough to take the course to obtain the certificate.

Je crois qu'elle veiv en la ville.

Il faut que nous onuvsib 1.5 L d'eau par jour.

Elle trouve bon que je niesnocas les verbes irréguliers (know)

Je voudrais que tu nous gsojeiern. (join)

il propose que nous nepnrison contact avec notre agent de voyage. (take up)

Il faut que tu sasfse tes devoirs. (do)

Il est utile qu'elle seipus conduire une bicyclette (can)

Elle trouve bon que les élèves tashecn utilizer l'ordinateur et l'internet. (know)

Tu aimes mieux qu'ils noviet un medecin. (see)

il feut que vous uezify. (flee)

il vaut mieux que je redom x heures par nuit.

Je préfère que tu sielal à Frankfurt demain. (go)

il faut que tu sisnifes tes devoirs (finish)

il important que nous yonevnsio les messageries instantanées aujourd'hui (send)

vous détestez que nous naposiy beaucoup trop. (pay)

J'ai trouve bon que tu épricespa le cadeau de ta femme (appreciate)

je crois qu'il scére le premier film (create)

il détest que nous notjise à terre. (throw)

Edited by Sunja on 22 January 2012 at 1:31pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 27 of 292
29 January 2012 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
I've been really distracted this past week and I'm afraid I've lost sight of where I am in my languages. No big deal, 'happens all the time!

But that means I have to regroup. My main concern is French (as before) since I really want to test myself in June. A small drive to Frankfurt, three hours or four, then back home. Should be a piece of cake. The problem is I'm not to that point yet. It's important that I finish Using French. I'm almost ready to take on the third CD! Once I get comfortable with a routine this week I'll pick up Japanese and Turkish again. Goal: the usual 12 hours.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 28 of 292
04 February 2012 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
I didn't study much this past week either! I think I studied maybe... 3 hours since my last log-in? February is usually a bad month. Immune systems are down and everyone in the family is dealing with some sort of cold. Speaking of cold it was minus 16 degrees when I went to work this morning. Usually I see people walking their dogs or hear chirping birds when I go out, but everyone and everything is in hiding thanks to the cold weather. Sad that that's the only thing I have to report.

I've been concentrating on my health -- trying to get over this cold. I'm playing "catch up" with Anki and I'm studying the last few chapters on the second CD of Using French. My goal is to get to the third CD. Sometimes Assimil is so hard to get through. Kind of like eating vegetables. Tasteless and bland but good for me so I gotta do it.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5775 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 29 of 292
05 February 2012 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Vegetables don't have to be tasteless and bland, it's all about how you cook them. But I'm not sure how this will help you get through your Assimil!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 30 of 292
06 February 2012 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
Vegetables don't have to be tasteless and bland, it's all about how you cook them. But I'm not sure how this will help you get through your Assimil!

mmm.. true. I could throw vegetables into a tasty stir-fry but I'm afraid the pages of my Assimil would get all sticky. I guess I'll have to come up with another way to make it more appetizing...(^▽^)

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 31 of 292
16 February 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
My health has taken center stage the past 10 days, I haven't been able to concentrate on languages much. My blood pressure has been giving me trouble. In order to bring it down I've been doing a lot of low-salt cooking and I've switched from Japanese (which is high-salt) to Aruveydic. With spices like Kurkuma/tumeric, Kardamom, Nelken/cloves, it's really aromatic. Since I'm spending some hours in the kitchen, I've been listening to my Turkish CD every day.

Oh yeah, I have some bad news about my plan for Turkish! I was planning on getting Assimil but I've run into a financial snag -- the orthodontal work that I've been postponeing for years has suddenly become -really- important. My teeth are going to cost me 500 euros this semester so that means "no Assimil". Some slight good news is that I'm watching Assimil on Ebay as we speak and who knows, I might get lucky, but I'm not holding my breath. We'll see!

In the meantime I've made myself an old-fasioned box with index cards. I've been inspired by my daughter's study with a "Lernkartei"/flashcard box which she's using to learn for school. I'm using a box-o-cards for myself instead of Anki. I just can't seem to find the time to get back to Anki right now. My Turkish cards are simple. I'm able to recall stuff like "Ona kadar sayabiliyor musun?" Which doesn't help make me good at conversation but at least I was able to memorize something from my CD.

I've also made some French cards but they're much more lengthy and take a lot of time to make. It's B1/B2 conversation stuff like "Quelles émissions est-ce que tu préfères?" I should be able to articulate myself on a variety of things by now. I'll work on testing myself.

For Japanese, I'm lifting the Japanese sentences from my shadowing book. I'm still on Unit 2. My goal is to be able to write the kanji, not just recognize it.

Oh boy, and my -German- needs a quick revision! I was caught off-guard at work when a student asked me to check an assignment full of Konjunctiv 2 verbs. I stumbled so hard I had to ask one of the Germans to help me! That's Realschule, class 10 so I can't forget how to build those.

Something else language-related happened at work: I was able to tutor a student (class/year 8) with 1st/2nd year French last Monday! It was pretty exciting. She was supposed to be doing German but she needed help with French homework instead. I'm not sure if I'll continue helping with French but it makes me look forward to Mondays. It will make me want to study up on some of those rules for "c'est and il est" (Hmm, I think that's first-year French..) I'd better put the Tex's French Grammar here for me to review.

I have a sentence from a dialogue, M. Garnier regarde les chaussures de sa fille. C'est nouveau? I know that the spoken language doesn't always fit the rules, but just to make sure I understand the difference:

Elles sont nouveaux. (they are   new)    C'est nouveau. (that's new.)

Edited by Sunja on 16 February 2012 at 4:23pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6413 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 32 of 292
16 February 2012 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
You're right about Japanese cooking being high salt. It's supposed to be really healthy, but I'm not so sure about that. In my experience, there is a lot of salt and often too little fresh vegetables. Also, they eat a lot of white rice. Of course the seaweed and natto are good for you, as is fish.

I hope you manage to fix both your blood pressure and your teeth without too much trouble.

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version