Oyster2004
United States
Joined 4537 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dari, French

Message 9 of 22
17 December 2011 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
I want to learn Dari but the resources are very limited. If I study Persian Farsi, would I be able to communicate with Dari speakers?
1 person has voted this message useful

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5215 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 10 of 22
17 December 2011 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
All languages have their arbitrary quirks, and all aspects of languages serve a utilitarian purpose, with it essentially being a matter of precision vs simplicity.

I find it telling that the threadstarter complained about English with respect to Spanish and Russian, and then the next poster complained about first/second/third-person verb conjugation in English, a "problem" which is profoundly amplified in the very languages the threadstarter spoke favorably of. Of course, this person is studying Mandarin, which orthographically amplifies all the "problems" the threadstarter associates with English.

Y'all may as well be discussing music taste. :)

Oyster2004 wrote:
I want to learn Dari but the resources are very limited. If I study Persian Farsi, would I be able to communicate with Dari speakers?

Not sure what that has to do with this thread, but yes, the Iranian and Afghan dialects of Persian are highly mutually intelligible, with differences found primarily in the vocabulary and phonology.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Oyster2004
United States
Joined 4537 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Studies: Dari, French

Message 11 of 22
17 December 2011 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
"Not sure what that has to do with this thread, but yes, the Iranian and Afghan dialects of Persian are highly mutually intelligible, with differences found primarily in the vocabulary and phonology."

Sorry about that, for some reason when I try to post my own thread it sends it to a thread that has already started, it posted it here in this thread and another thread about Turkish adjectives...it won't let me delete my post in this thread, sorry!

Thank You for your response though!!

yaboycon
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4535 days ago

40 posts - 50 votes
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 12 of 22
17 December 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Oyster2004 wrote:
"Not sure what that has to do with this thread, but yes, the Iranian and Afghan dialects of Persian are highly mutually intelligible, with differences found primarily in the vocabulary and phonology."

Sorry about that, for some reason when I try to post my own thread it sends it to a thread that has already started, it posted it here in this thread and another thread about Turkish adjectives...it won't let me delete my post in this thread, sorry!

Thank You for your response though!!

As the starter of this thread I forgive you :)

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4665 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 22
18 December 2011 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
yaboycon wrote:
Does anyone else find that when studying another language sometimes you will look at the grammar or some of the rules of the language and realise that it makes more sense than your own?

I'm finding the split at about 50-50. There are things about Spanish that make more sense than in English, and things about English that make more sense than in Spanish.

The "perfect" language is probably a blend of the two. I know, we could call it Spanglish. ;-)

Example: Adjective should come before nouns, as in English. How do you say, conveniently, in Spanish: "the big, fuzzy, old, ugly, red and blue striped rubber ball"?

There needs to be a clitic possessive, as in English. How do you say, conveniently, in Spanish: "My father's brother's second cousin's nephew's dog's thick curly brown hair"?

Verbs should be fully conjugated for person, as in Spanish. It's nice to be able to drop the pronoun for brevity when the subject is understood.

Spanish object pronouns are nifty. English needs to do it that way.

Spanish reflexive verb constructions are interesting, and you can do all sorts of nifty things with them. English needs those too. And those clitic reflexive pronouns too.

What's with that formal/informal distinction? That's so 12th century. English got rid of that centuries ago.

Spanish has aquí, allí, and allá while English only has here and there. We used to have yon (allá) but we lost it along the way. We need to get it back.

The list goes on and on. :)

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4930 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 14 of 22
18 December 2011 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:

Spanish has aquí, allí, and allá while English only has here and there. We used to have yon (allá) but we lost it along the way. We need to get it back.

Those are expressed fine in English. Just because we use two words to do it where Spanish uses one, doesn't mean it's less effective.

R.
==

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6239 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 15 of 22
18 December 2011 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
yaboycon wrote:
Does anyone else find that when studying another language sometimes you will look at the grammar or some of the rules of the language and realise that it makes more sense than your own?

I'm finding the split at about 50-50. There are things about Spanish that make more sense than in English, and things about English that make more sense than in Spanish.

The "perfect" language is probably a blend of the two. I know, we could call it Spanglish. ;-)

Example: Adjective should come before nouns, as in English. How do you say, conveniently, in Spanish: "the big, fuzzy, old, ugly, red and blue striped rubber ball"?

There needs to be a clitic possessive, as in English. How do you say, conveniently, in Spanish: "My father's brother's second cousin's nephew's dog's thick curly brown hair"?

Verbs should be fully conjugated for person, as in Spanish. It's nice to be able to drop the pronoun for brevity when the subject is understood.

Spanish object pronouns are nifty. English needs to do it that way.

Spanish reflexive verb constructions are interesting, and you can do all sorts of nifty things with them. English needs those too. And those clitic reflexive pronouns too.

What's with that formal/informal distinction? That's so 12th century. English got rid of that centuries ago.

The list goes on and on. :)

And if you seriously study another handful of languages, you'll probably find your list changing quite a bit, too.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4809 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 16 of 22
18 December 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
"What's with that formal/informal distinction? That's so 12th century. English got rid of that centuries ago."

It's not only in Spanish but as well in French, German, Czech, Slovak and other languages (I think Polish, Russian, Italian as well but I am not sure, and I have surely not mentioned all). And I think it is very useful. It reflects the slightly different mentality between nations who use it and those who don't. I think it allows a lot of options in communication. And there is the great moment of change between formal and informal adressing when people symbolize they not only respect each other but they feel some kind of friendship.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version