United States
languageloft-ashley.
Joined 5054 days ago

66 posts - 76 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Russian

Message 1 of 20
17 December 2011 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
      TAC 2012(Go Team Žá)! I'm a super excited to begin a new year of language learning, so I have set some really ambitious goals. I plan on updating this weekly, maybe bi-weekly during the Marching Band season (July-November). Anyway, the following are my goals, study plans, and reasons for learning each language:

French

French culture has a certain charm that has always appealed to me. So, while I am a newbie at this language, I have no doubt that I will be able to stay motivated. I am going to use Michel Thomas, followed by Assimil. After that I will rely on the internet, mostly. I hope to get to a B2 level by the end of the year.

Russian

This is another new language for me. But, again, motivation shouldn't be a problem, with Russia's rich history and fascinating culture. Michel Thomas and Teach Yourself are going to be my main resources, along with some great websites I have found. B2 is my goal for this language as well.

Japanese

I'm an intermediate learner of Japanese, but I really want to step it up this year. I am going to continue my current activities (listening to podcasts and watching J Dramas) and add some more practical ones(reading books and articles, using Anki, writing at Lang-8) BY the end of the year, I would really like to be at C1 level in this language.

Perhaps these aren't the most realistic goals, but I am extremely motivated to study. We'll just have to see how it turns out. Thanks for reading!

Edited by pineappleboom on 02 January 2012 at 7:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

pineappleboom
Groupie
United States
languageloft-ashley.
Joined 5054 days ago

66 posts - 76 votes 

Message 2 of 20
17 December 2011 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention, if anyone knows of good sites for French, please
let me know!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 20
17 December 2011 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
Good luck!
added the link to the first post of our team thread, there are also some resources links there!
btw please copy Team Žá in the title of your log (by editing the first post of it) :))))

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4810 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 20
17 December 2011 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your languages. Your plans are ambitious, sure, but you look really dedicated so I believe you will get at least most of your goals. I'm looking forward to reading you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

pineappleboom
Groupie
United States
languageloft-ashley.
Joined 5054 days ago

66 posts - 76 votes 

Message 5 of 20
18 December 2011 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Serpent! I've fixed the title.

Hi, Cavesa! Thanks for reading. I'll make sure to update.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5196 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 20
28 December 2011 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
Hello, pineappleboom. Welcome to Team Žá! I'm looking forward to watching your progress in 2012 and being part of your team!

Japanese and Russian are both on my hit list, but I am trying to refrain for the time being, as I'm already studying too many! Once I have a solid foundation in Bosnian/Croatian, I will probably start work on Russian. But one thing at a time, right? (Or six or seven, in my case!)

Good luck this year with all your language endeavors!

pineappleboom
Groupie
United States
languageloft-ashley.
Joined 5054 days ago

66 posts - 76 votes 

Message 7 of 20
29 December 2011 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
Well, I haven't technically started my Russian and French studies yet(I'm waiting til January 1) but I have been learning Cyrillic. I'm feeling as giddy about Russian as I did with Japanese when I started learning Hiragana!

Also wanted to update that instead of Teach Yourself Russian, I'm going to use Russian without Toil from 1951. It may be pretty dated, but overall I think it will give me a better start on the language.

pineappleboom
Groupie
United States
languageloft-ashley.
Joined 5054 days ago

66 posts - 76 votes 

Message 8 of 20
02 January 2012 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
So I had computer trouble yesterday, which set me back one day already! No worries, though. I just have to do some overtime today. So my strategy is to complete 2 lessons of Russian without Toil, and 2 lessons of New French with Ease daily. I also have a book called Introduction to Intermediate Japanese which is full of texts/dialogues. They are a bit longer than the Assimil lessons so I think one per day should suffice. Although my computer wasn't working, I still had my Ipod, so I listened to the audio for all three of these courses.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version