Oyster2004
United States
Joined 4548 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dari, French

Message 1 of 13
19 December 2011 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
With Pimsleur language courses, it mentions not to refer to any other means of learning the target language because it will disrupt the learning process.

Has anyone ignored this and used other courses, books, dictionaries along with Pimsleur? Would you recommend doing this or not and how did it effect your learning, memory, and/or pronunciation of the language?

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4941 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 13
19 December 2011 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
Oyster2004 wrote:
With Pimsleur language courses, it mentions not to refer to any other means of learning the target language because it will disrupt the learning process.

Has anyone ignored this and used other courses, books, dictionaries along with Pimsleur? Would you recommend doing this or not and how did it effect your learning, memory, and/or pronunciation of the language?

Thanks

I can really only speak for Pimsleur Turkish. It was the first thing I used to get into Turkish and it helped a lot. BUT... I had absolutely no exposure to Turkish before, and it was a decent introduction to the language. It got me used to hearing short Turkish sentences.

I then went on to use Teach Yourself Turkish (which I found sort of mind-boggling mid-way through the course), then FSI Turkish. After I'd completed those two courses, after some time had passed I went back and re-listened to Pimsleur. I had a lot of "Aha! THAT'S why they taught X the way they did" moments. And it served as more reinforcement for everything else I'd learned after.

I see you're currently studying French and Dari, so I don't know which language you're using Pimsleur for. I would think that there would be better options for French out there, though. I have no idea what else would be available for Dari. In any case, when I was using Pimsleur Turkish, that's all I was using. I don't feel like it slowed me down, rather it was just the first step of many to be taken.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5376 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 3 of 13
19 December 2011 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
All the time - I look up grammar books and dictionaries to get a better grip on the points being 'taught' in the
Pimsleur lesson.

Jarvis1000
Diglot
Groupie
United States
want2speakthai.com
Joined 4699 days ago

74 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*, Thai
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 13
19 December 2011 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
I don't use pimsleur, but one that was done in the same style which is Learning Spanish like crazy. I am actually using it plus many others. Why because they emphasize different things. Its like doing sit ups every day. Yes it will work your abs, but why not do other exercises as well.

Does it mean I don't complete the course in the same "time period" they advertise? Yes, but my goal isn't to be able to complete a course. My goal is to speak fluently. So yes, even though I can't speak from personal experience with pimsleur, I never depend on just one source of language study.

srh9592
United States
Joined 5515 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 5 of 13
02 January 2012 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Like you, I'm currently learning French. I used Pimsleur for German and I'm now using Pimsleur for French. I like Pimsleur a lot... it's very basic but it get's you speaking right away. I'm using Pimsleur in combination with Fluenz. I do Pimsleur in the car during my daily commute and spend an hour every night on my laptop doing Fluenz. The programs are very different from each other (all audio with no grammar explanation (Pimsleur) vs. computer based/grammar explanations/typing answers/etc. (Fluenz)). Fluenz is expensive, but if you can afford it, I like this approach. I'd also like to start using French in Action, but I currently don't have the free time for a third program and FIA is more advanced (imo). I'll start using FIA once I get through Fluenz.

Bottom line: If you have the time, I recommend another program in conjunction. I'd suggest you block off different parts of the day for each program (like taking two different classes in college) and decide which program is your top priority. For the first 90 days, I'd have the Pimsleur lesson as your top priority.

joesoefkalla
Indonesia
Joined 4523 days ago

22 posts - 22 votes
Studies: English

Message 6 of 13
02 January 2012 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
srh9592 wrote:
Like you, I'm currently learning French. I used Pimsleur for German and I'm now using Pimsleur for French. I like Pimsleur a lot... it's very basic but it get's you speaking right away. I'm using Pimsleur in combination with Fluenz. I do Pimsleur in the car during my daily commute and spend an hour every night on my laptop doing Fluenz. The programs are very different from each other (all audio with no grammar explanation (Pimsleur) vs. computer based/grammar explanations/typing answers/etc. (Fluenz)). Fluenz is expensive, but if you can afford it, I like this approach. I'd also like to start using French in Action, but I currently don't have the free time for a third program and FIA is more advanced (imo). I'll start using FIA once I get through Fluenz.

Bottom line: If you have the time, I recommend another program in conjunction. I'd suggest you block off different parts of the day for each program (like taking two different classes in college) and decide which program is your top priority. For the first 90 days, I'd have the Pimsleur lesson as your top priority.

Yup, I agree, FLUENZ French is quite good.

Anyway, have you tried Rosetta Stone French as well?

Edited by joesoefkalla on 02 January 2012 at 11:14pm

LpMagilicutty
United States
Joined 5998 days ago

24 posts - 26 votes
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog, German, Italian, French

Message 7 of 13
02 January 2012 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
I have a new respect for Pimsleur. I finally learned how to use it without making myself crazy. In my
opinion, with Pimsleur the idea is to focus on the spoken language. If the words are looked up it may
influence the pronounciation. I am using Pimsleur Chinese and I found that because i don't see the words,
even in my mind, I am able to hear the subtle differences between the pronunciation of the pinyin and the
same-looking English letters.
Not that one couldn't use another method in conjunction with Pimsleur. Just be aware that the written form
will have an influence.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6361 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 8 of 13
03 January 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Oyster2004 wrote:
With Pimsleur language courses, it mentions not to refer to any other means of learning the target
language because it will disrupt the learning process.

LpMagilicutty wrote:
If the words are looked up it may
influence the pronounciation. I am using Pimsleur Chinese and I found that because i don't see the words,
even in my mind, I am able to hear the subtle differences between the pronunciation of the pinyin and the
same-looking English letters.
Not that one couldn't use another method in conjunction with Pimsleur. Just be aware that the written form
will have an influence.

This notion that using other materials along side Pimsleur is damaging is essentially false. That is, unless these other
studies keep you from doing Pimsleur lessons daily, or if you pause Pimsleur to look up words, try to pre-learn all the
vocabulary, etc. There are certainly ways to mess up Pimsleur by using other materials illogically, but saying that there is
some sort of mysterious bad thing that happens to you if you use other materials at all is false.

Most people here agree that using a transcript with Pimsleur is a good idea. There are going to be times when your ears
aren't good enough for you to nail down every consonant or vowel sound. I especially recommend learning the basics of
pinyin and using a transcript to know exactly what you're listening to with Pimsleur Mandarin. Rule of thumb - the more
unlike your native language the pronunciation is, the more you will need a transcript. Working through Mandarin and
trying to pronounce everything correctly without getting a handle on pinyin is very difficult and inefficient.

That being said, it's possible to mess up a Pimsleur lesson by using a transcript, if you use it illogically. For example, pre-
learning anything on it, or trying to use it any time except after you have done the lesson is a bad idea.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version