Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5073 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 9 of 13
03 January 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Some of the frequent complaints directed at Pimsleur are that it "doesn't teach enough vocabulary". "The pauses are annoying". The dialogues are too "oriented toward the traveling businessman". The program uses "too much English". I agree that the dialogues are weighted heavily towards the business traveler. Perhaps Simon & Schuster think that is where their market is- business people. Yes, it doesn't teach a lot of vocabulary and the course does use more English than it should in the later part of the course. That being said, I think it is a great supplement to whatever else one is doing to learn a language.

The pauses are part of the "graduated interval recall" system and help to put pressure on you to recall and produce what you have learned. Pimsleur may only teach 900 or so words but you will know those 900 or so words well if you use the system as intended. One thing I like about it is that it is audio based.

I would never use Pimsleur alone to learn a language but would highly recommend it as a supplement within a multi-track approach to language learning. That is, provided that it can be had for a cheap price or free from the library. The program could be much better but it is what it is.

It is my opinion that no course will take you to proficiency, despite the advertising to the contrary. I think people should realize that first and foremost when choosing any course. If you do Pimsleur you are still going to have to learn grammar, speak, read, write and use the language in order to progress, but it can help you along the way.

Edited by iguanamon on 03 January 2012 at 3:31pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 10 of 13
03 January 2012 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
The pauses are part of the "graduated interval recall" system and help to put pressure on you to recall and produce what you have learned.

No they're not. The graduated intervals are the intervals between recurrence of tested language points. The pauses are simply part of the tradition of recorded language courses, a tradition that pre-dates the introduction of the cassette tape and its pause button.

My objection to the pauses is that they don't appear to be proportional to the difficulty of the language under test, only the length of the desired response, and some of the prompts are intrinsically more difficult than others. If you adhere to the "move on if you can do 80%" guideline, then you'll never manage the difficult bits. If you repeat until you can do the difficult bits, you're going to get bored...
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 11 of 13
04 January 2012 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
This notion that using other materials along side Pimsleur is damaging is essentially false. That is, unless these other
studies keep you from doing Pimsleur lessons daily, or if you pause Pimsleur to look up words, try to pre-learn all the
vocabulary, etc. There are certainly ways to mess up Pimsleur by using other materials illogically, but saying that there is
some sort of mysterious bad thing that happens to you if you use other materials at all is false.

There's nothing "mysterious" about the claim, and it actually makes a lot of sense. It is perhaps an exaggeration, but I wouldn't call it false.

The point (and several other courses are built on this principle) is that the more stuff you have half-learned in your head, the longer it takes you to recall the thing you're looking for. Problems of recall lead to frustration, and hamper learning.

If the other material you're trying to learn from overloads you with vocabulary, then it will in all probability interfere with your recall of the target words and phrases for the Pimsleur course (and you must have noticed that many courses give you a heck of a lot of words for each phrase or grammar point taught -- "I'd like a" will come with at least tea, coffee, orange juice, wine (white and red), beer, water).

Quote:
Most people here agree that using a transcript with Pimsleur is a good idea. There are going to be times when your ears
aren't good enough for you to nail down every consonant or vowel sound.

Agreed -- completely.

Pimsleur gives sounds, but it never categorises them -- ie. it doesn't teach phonemes. If I don't know that two sounds are the same phoneme, I won't learn them as one phoneme. If I don't know that two sounds are different phonemes, I will learn them as the same phoneme.

You can teach phonemes purely aurally, but Pimsleur doesn't do that, so a transcript is essential for many languages.
Quote:
That being said, it's possible to mess up a Pimsleur lesson by using a transcript, if you use it illogically. For example, pre-
learning anything on it, or trying to use it any time except after you have done the lesson is a bad idea.

I'm not so sure. If you're not aware of the phonemes at the time you encounter them, surely you're already starting to learn them wrong? I was having this problem with MT Polish, and what I ended up doing was looking up every newly-introduced word in a dictionary before continuing, in order to learn it correctly.
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6361 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 12 of 13
04 January 2012 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
If you adhere to the "move on if you can do 80%" guideline, then you'll never manage the difficult
bits. If you repeat until you can do the difficult bits, you're going to get bored...

That has not been my experience.
Cainntear wrote:
I'm not so sure. If you're not aware of the phonemes at the time you encounter them, surely
you're already starting to learn them wrong? I was having this problem with MT Polish, and what I ended up doing
was looking up every newly-introduced word in a dictionary before continuing, in order to learn it correctly.

There is a possibility of getting something wrong the first time you hear it, but there is enough repetition in the
program so that it is not an issue. There are more disadvantages than advantages from pre-learning imo.

Opensecret
Triglot
United States
Joined 4503 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 13 of 13
20 January 2012 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
I use other things with Pimsleur all the time, but when you first start any language, I think it's better to keep the book closed and focus entirely on the spoken language. Once you can hear and speak the sounds, then study the written language to learn how sound and script relate. The Mandarin word for study, 学, is spelled 'xué' in pinyin, but if you see it before you hear it, you're almost sure to form an incorrect idea about how it's pronounced, and you may not recognize it when you hear it because it won't sound like what you expect. Even native speakers of a language sometimes mispronounce a word because they're going by how it looks on a page rather than how people say it.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version