Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Do we love non-idle activities, or what?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
17 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
vikavictoria
Pentaglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4849 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Persian, English*, German, Spanish, Tajik
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 17
19 December 2011 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
Hey All,
I was thinking, you know how there are people whose idea of indulgence and relaxation is to go to the gym for hours (me!!!)? Well, language learning is kinda the same, right? Like, instead of letting your butt rot on the couch, some go to the gym. Instead of letting your brain rot in front of the television, we learn languages, and that is our very idea of relaxation or fun, huh? Why do you think that is? Is it some extra mental energy we have, or just the way we have been raised, or something else?

Best,

v
5 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5062 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 17
19 December 2011 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
Intellectual curiosity- either you have it or you don't. I don't want to go through life in a world as exciting as this one only speaking/knowing one language. Learning Spanish opened a whole new world of literature, music, people and culture to me. learning Portuguese brings me another world. There are many more worlds of peoples and cultures available to speak to me in a way I've never been spoken to before. Who knows what adventures and new perspectives await! Maybe I'll be able to speak to that hot Danish girl who swam out to my boat today to say hello in English. Maybe by also learning Norwegian, I'll understand the mysteries of lutefisk.
13 persons have voted this message useful

vikavictoria
Pentaglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4849 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Persian, English*, German, Spanish, Tajik
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 17
19 December 2011 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
Lutefisk, yeah, I think Solfried Cristin introduced that in another forum thread! :) Definitely, I dislike when people say, "you've learned enough languages," or "I don't like to learn languages, it's useless and boring". These two statements are absolutely untrue, and ignorant.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6382 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 4 of 17
19 December 2011 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
vikavictoria wrote:
Definitely, I dislike when people say, "you've learned enough languages," or "I don't like to learn languages, it's useless and boring". These two statements are absolutely untrue, and ignorant.

Well, whether something is boring or not is of course a personal opinion, and you can hardly say it's untrue if someone says "I don't like to learn languages". So what remains is whether or not it's useful. And I suspect that to a lot of people, it is. We can't expect other people to share our passions.

EDIT: Oops, I meant to say "what remains is whether or not it's useless. And I suspect that to a lot of people, it is".

Edited by Ari on 19 December 2011 at 12:48pm

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5366 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 5 of 17
19 December 2011 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Intellectual curiosity- either you have it or you don't. I don't want to go through life in a
world as exciting as this one only speaking/knowing one language. Learning Spanish opened a whole new world
of literature, music, people and culture to me. learning Portuguese brings me another world. There are many
more worlds of peoples and cultures available to speak to me in a way I've never been spoken to before. Who
knows what adventures and new perspectives await! Maybe I'll be able to speak to that hot Danish girl who swam
out to my boat today to say hello in English. Maybe by also learning Norwegian, I'll understand the mysteries of
lutefisk.

Amen brother! Languages are keys to different worlds without which one would never truly be able to experience
nor appreciate entirely. They give you access (well-earnt) to history, thoughts and minds of a people and expand
one's world both mentally, physically and spiritually. Like immense living libraries of knowledge, ideas and
creativity only open to those who have made the effort to learn that peoples tongue. To think that there exists
books and essays written by Kapuściński which still haven't been translated into English!

In regards to the original post. Why do I do it? For the love of diversity and the unknown. Each new language is a
different bag of grammatical workings which when learnt and combined allow one to express themselves in a
different way and also sheds new light on the understanding of language and its history as a whole. And one of
the best things, to take Spanish for example, after learning this particular language to a sufficiently useable level
one is able to now communicate with an extra half a billion people plus which beforehand he or she may not have
been able to do so. The world becomes both simultaneously a much smaller and bigger place with each language
acquired.

yaboycon
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4535 days ago

40 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 6 of 17
19 December 2011 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
vikavictoria wrote:
Hey All,
I was thinking, you know how there are people whose idea of indulgence and relaxation is to go to the gym for hours (me!!!)? Well, language learning is kinda the same, right? Like, instead of letting your butt rot on the couch, some go to the gym. Instead of letting your brain rot in front of the television, we learn languages, and that is our very idea of relaxation or fun, huh? Why do you think that is? Is it some extra mental energy we have, or just the way we have been raised, or something else?

Best,

v

I go to the gym/exercise a lot and learn languages. It is mainly because I made the effort to conciously stop watching TV and stop playing computer games. Science, languages, weightlifting, exercise filled up that time. I feel a lot happier now because I feel like I am doing something productive and enjoying it.

I think there can be a lot of things which could lead you to spend your time language learning. It is just another hobby.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 17
19 December 2011 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
One relevant factor is that if you are really really interested in the goal (which could be speaking or writing a language or being able to read all the Great Books in that language) then you may even find the preparations fun - even though others may not understand how wordlists or grammar studies or text copying can be fun.

The sports comparison is a good one. I doubt that you can find a top sportsperson who doesn't do fitness training and spend endless hours on minor details within their own sport. For somebody like me it sounds like a mixture between the Spanish inquisition and Chinese water torture, but if you don't like the training sessions you won't get far with your chosen sport - no matter how much you like the sport itself.

Edited by Iversen on 19 December 2011 at 12:37pm

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6382 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 8 of 17
19 December 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
One relevant factor is that if you are really really interested in the goal (which could be speaking or writing a language or being able to read all the Great Books in that language) then you may even find the preparations fun - even though others may not understand how wordlists or grammar studies or text copying can be fun.

I'm not really that interested in the goal (speaking or reading a language), but I find the preparations fun. I lost interest in French after I learned it, because studying it was a lot more interesting than knowing it. I'm on the verge of reaching a similar level in Mandarin and I'll have to go to more obscure texts or get into classical language to keep up my interest. To me, knowing a language is mostly a side effect of studying it, rather than the goal.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version