Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Do we love non-idle activities, or what?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
17 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5008 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 17
19 December 2011 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
I'm another one who'd rather spend his free time doing productive things and whose idea of having fun is learning languages, lifting weights, making music, and generally putting himself in challenging situations. I just feel like there's so much to learn and experience and so little time to do it that the idea of spending my time watching TV and playing games just doesn't appeal. Especially considering how much of my teenage life I wasted doing these things. I guess I'm just ambitious; nothing against people who aren't, they certainly have an easier life than me...
6 persons have voted this message useful

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4782 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 10 of 17
19 December 2011 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
Well I do both (exercise and learn languages) :p Except I don't go to the gym because they are souless places, why
would you purposefully put yourself in a boxed room when you could go out into the countryside?
5 persons have voted this message useful

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5216 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 11 of 17
19 December 2011 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Alexander86 wrote:
Well I do both (exercise and learn languages) :p Except I don't go to the gym because they are souless places, why
would you purposefully put yourself in a boxed room when you could go out into the countryside?

Gyms tend to have more weightlifting equipment than wheat fields...
10 persons have voted this message useful

yaboycon
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4536 days ago

40 posts - 50 votes
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 12 of 17
19 December 2011 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Alexander86 wrote:

Doing cardio like running, biking, skipping, swimming is always better to be done outside in my opinion on a raod in a field (or in a lake or river for swimming). A gym has a weights section though, something not easy to do outside. Also gyms can be nice places, just depends which one you go to.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Humdereel
Octoglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4779 days ago

90 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written), Turkish, Persian, Urdu
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 17
19 December 2011 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
My view is much like those of some who've already replied. Learning languages opens you to an entire new world.

I can't imagine not having had Spanish as my native language and English as my "secondary" native language. Growing up, I was open to the variety of cultures involved with them.

When I pursued Arabic, it was such an enriching experience, in every sense of the word. I was able to see into the minds of the people, the history of the places where it's spoken at, access the incredible body of literature, and so on. Quite frankly, I could not have gotten the same experiences without learning the language. My experiences in Egypt, Syria, and some of the other Arab countries would've also been minimal had I not been studying the language.

The same goes for Persian. It has allowed me to explore yet another culture and read the beautiful poetry that the language is known for. Turkish, although sometimes considered a less popular language, was no less enriching.

Icaria909
United States
Joined 5392 days ago

201 posts - 346 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 14 of 17
21 December 2011 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
I view language learning to be kind of like going to the gym. I love going to the gym
because when I'm working out I am competing against my own old weight limits and I know I
can always improve by a few pounds every time I go. It's such an incredible feeling to be
able to see that I am always a little more in shape than the day before. In the same way,
the small incremental gains I can get every day by studying a language and the knowledge
I am that much closer to my goals are a bit addicting...

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4777 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 15 of 17
21 December 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
I, too, love learning languages for the same reasons people have already mentioned. I find it very difficult to sit
idle--in fact, I simply can't do it. Guilt gnaws at me until I get up and do something 'productive.'

In regards to language-learning, well, it, as already stated, opens up new worlds! In my opinion, a language
creates an instant bond between people. On my personal end, as silly as it is, I might find a person fascinating
simply because they come from somewhere else, and speak another language. Even better if it's a language I
happen to be learning. Therefore, it becomes a pleasure for me to simply talk to them and hear their live stories,
and I have yet to meet a person who objects to being fawned over in this way. Besides the people, the literature,
art, and the like, of different cultures enchant me.

I'm a wanderer at heart, and language-learning is just a physical manifestation of my inner traveler. It's
interesting to me how recent this new-found love is--it's been less than half a year since I started seriously
pursuing this hobby, and frequenting this forum. Now, however, I can't imagine living with anything else. I've
managed, in the space of a few months, to acquire a passion of such proportions that it will carry through
decades of my life, leading me to already sanction off many hours of my future time just for this. So when I turn
down a date or a request from a friend five years from now because I simply must attend some conference
being conducted in Mongolian, or what have you, I'm blaming all of you on this forum.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5135 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 16 of 17
22 December 2011 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
They say that you know you are a writer when you feel the need to write. Not for fame or fortune, but just
for the writing itself.

I feel the need to learn languages. I do not usually sit around thinking: "Hm. I wonder which language I
should study now." They come more as a need, a sudden inspiration, an urge.

And I love every moment of it.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 22 December 2011 at 7:59am

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version