Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 33 of 47
03 July 2012 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
Thank you Flarioca. :)

Yes, the German team will live. :)

Milestones

In a few days I will have been learning German for a whole year. :D

Shortly after that, I will have been a member of this forum for a year. :)

Personal Acheivements

I've started to get over my fear of tests. I know I keep mentioning it, but I have always had an irrational fear of exams, so it feels great to know that I'm starting to overcome it.

I have also spoken German in front of a group of people, another thing that scares me to death. lol

Language Acheivements

I managed to complete my German course, though there were some hiccups, and a few tears along the way. A couple of times I almost quit, but I managed to get through it eventually.

My tutor was very understanding, which helped.

I am still very much a beginner, and nowhere near close to being confident in my use of the little German that I know, but I can see a point in the future where I will be able to say that I am, and I can't wait to reach it.

A year in and still enjoying the journey...every single step. :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Hidden
Groupie
Joined 4701 days ago

42 posts - 48 votes

Message 34 of 47
03 July 2012 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
German

Currently reviewing Michel Thomas (Total)

I have decided that I will get out my copy of 'Der Kleine Prinz', that I haven't yet had the courage to even attempt, and celebrate my first year of German by starting to read it (with plenty of assistance from my dictionary I'm sure).

Mandarin

Continuing to use the BBC materials, and working on tones.

I've started learning the writing as well...so many characters! O.O

Spanish

Still nothing for Spanish yet, but I will be starting tomorrow...technically today (Yay for posting @ 1am) lol.

I will be using the BBC materials for Spanish, as well as Mandarin, as I can't afford to buy anything else language wise for a while, but the BBC stuff should at least get me started.

1 person has voted this message useful

Hidden
Groupie
Joined 4701 days ago

42 posts - 48 votes

Message 35 of 47
18 August 2012 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
I've afraid I've been slacking on the language front lately.

In fact I haven't done any language study at all for the last few weeks.

I've been trying to sort out some 'stuff' in my life, and getting nowhere. :(

Time for me to get back at it. :)

German

German is still my main focus, but I'm going to ease myself back into it. No 'study' today, just a bit of fun watching some Star Trek with the dub on. :)

Mandarin

I'm still looking around for self-teaching materials, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

I've found a beginners course for Mandarin, but at the moment it's not looking good, as I've been told that it 'might, or might not run' depending on the level of interest.

*fingers crossed that it will run*

Spanish

I'm thinking about putting this one on hold for a while. Considering that I'm having a hard time motivating myself with any language at the moment, it makes sense to drop back to 2 languages (if not 1), for a while.

As I've hardly managed anything with Spanish, other than skimming a couple of chapters from the BBC materials, Spanish is the obvious one to put on the back burner for now.

Hidden
Groupie
Joined 4701 days ago

42 posts - 48 votes

Message 36 of 47
23 August 2012 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 

Bragging post alert!

I just got the results for my German course that I completed in June, and I am now the proud owner of a G.C.S.E Grade 'A' in German.

Woot! :D

I'm so glad I stuck with it now. :)

*very happy*

Edited by Hidden on 23 August 2012 at 5:08pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4640 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 37 of 47
23 August 2012 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations Hidden!

But I hope you will continue with your German.
Not to undervalue what you have achieved (quicker than I managed it), but in a way,
that's just the start, like when you pass your driving test.

Now you have to get some "German miles" under your belt. I don't mean actually
travelling (you said you didn't), but exposing yourself to as much native German as
possible, e.g. via internet radio, podcasts, and some would say TV, though I'm less
keen on TV myself, although I do watch it selectively.

And reading books. You have made a start, so keep it up. And don't be afraid (as I used
to be) of using translations, i.e. read both the translation and the German original.
You should also consider getting German audiobooks. You don't have to do the full-on
"L-R" thing if you don't want to (but check it out in case it does appeal), but even
without that, I would say that listening to a German audio version of the book, reading
the English version, and reading the German version are all useful activities in
themselves, and in whatever order appeals to you. Obviously with books that appeal to
you.

And newspapers and magazines, either physical or online. Check out Der Spiegel for
example, or Die Zeit.

Deutsche Welle is good of course, but I'm also quite a fan of WDR (podcasts).
Oh yes, nicht zu vergessen: Schlaflos in München".

Hidden
Groupie
Joined 4701 days ago

42 posts - 48 votes

Message 38 of 47
23 August 2012 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 

montmorency wrote:
Congratulations Hidden!

Thank you. :)

montmorency wrote:
But I hope you will continue with your German.
Not to undervalue what you have achieved (quicker than I managed it), but in a way,
that's just the start, like when you pass your driving test.

Oh don't worry, I certainly don't see the G.C.S.E as the end to my German studies (I'm just really happy that I was able to achieve it), there's still so much for me to learn, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

There's no chance of me stopping any time soon. :)

I'm still working my way through 'Der Kleine Prinz', but I've been thinking about treating myself to a German copy of 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone'. I've never actually read any of the Harry Potter series (though I have seen a couple of the films), so it would be an interesting challenge.

Edited by Hidden on 23 August 2012 at 11:42pm

Hidden
Groupie
Joined 4701 days ago

42 posts - 48 votes

Message 39 of 47
08 September 2012 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
It looks as though the beginners Mandarin course that I found will be running after all. It wasn't looking very hopeful at one point, but now there are enough people signed up for the course for it to go ahead.

So I'm very happy, and looking forward to that. :)

Also, despite saying that I was going to drop back to 2 languages, I may have 'accidentally' signed up for a Spanish course as well, so it looks as though Spanish is back on my 'study' list. O.O

Oh well...it's going to be hard work to keep all 3 going, but fun as well I think.

I love a challenge. :)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5207 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 40 of 47
08 September 2012 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Hidden wrote:
Also, despite saying that I was going to drop back to 2 languages, I may have 'accidentally' signed up for a Spanish course as well, so it looks as though Spanish is back on my 'study' list. O.O

I love a challenge. :)

Haha! Good for you. =)

I think in some ways, it's easier when you are taking a course where you are expected to keep up with the class. It's a lot harder to just skip it when you don't feel like doing anything. =)

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version