Groupie
Joined 4701 days ago

42 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 41 of 47
13 September 2012 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
I think in some ways, it's easier when you are taking a course where you are expected to keep up with the class. It's a lot harder to just skip it when you don't feel like doing anything. =)

Yeah, I know what you mean.

When you're studying on your own it's so easy just to be lazy and say "I don't feel like it at the moment...I'll do it later". The problem with this is that 'later' can become much later, and less/nothing gets done.

At least classes mean; you do this now or you fall behind.

I am getting better at sticking to things on my own, but for now at least I feel more comfortable with classes. Aside from the structure they add, there's always the fear (for me anyway) of getting it wrong if you're only studying on your own, and have no feedback.
1 person has voted this message useful

Rob Tickner
New Zealand
Joined 4300 days ago

126 posts - 158 votes 
Studies: GermanB1, French, Swedish

Message 42 of 47
13 September 2012 at 6:35am | IP Logged 
Congrats on the G.C.S.E results!

I know what you mean with classes keeping you honest, it's nice to have something
keeping you accountable every now and again.

In the future, you might be interested in sitting exams at the Goethe Institut for the
same reason. Having done so several times myself, I can only recommend it.

The first chapter or two of "Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen" are fairly light on
conservational content, which can make it a pretty tricky read to get into if you have
raised yourself up in conversational German so far. If you can find the audiobook for
purchase somewhere in your area, I would recommend getting it. Then you can listen to
the audio whilst reading the book (either in English, or in German, depending on your
comprehension skills and the size of your vocabulary). The benefit of this is that the
audio book sets the pace, so you won't get bogged down too soon.

Hidden
Groupie
Joined 4701 days ago

42 posts - 48 votes

Message 43 of 47
23 September 2012 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Rob Tickner wrote:
Congrats on the G.C.S.E results!

Thanks. :)

Rob Tickner wrote:

I know what you mean with classes keeping you honest, it's nice to have something
keeping you accountable every now and again.

In the future, you might be interested in sitting exams at the Goethe Institut for the
same reason. Having done so several times myself, I can only recommend it.

I doubt I'll be doing any more German exams for a while, but when I do, the Goethe Institut looks like a good possibility.

Hidden
Groupie
Joined 4701 days ago

42 posts - 48 votes

Message 44 of 47
23 September 2012 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
German
Still working my way (slowly) through Der Kleine Prinz.
I decided to hold off on getting another book, but I have been listening to story CD's in German (classic fairytales).

Mandarin
I started my course last week. It was actually quite a relief just to get going, because for a while it looked as though it was going to be cancelled due to lack of sign ups.

The first lesson was a lot of fun, and it looks as though we'll be learning a little bit of writing as well as speaking. Which I think is great. :)

Spanish
I started this course last week as well.

There was a slight problem in that the entry level was cancelled, but after speaking to the tutor, I've been given a chance at the higher level course. This is on a trial basis. I have a few weeks to do a lot of work to catch up, but if I can do it, I can stay.

I just hope that I haven't bitten off too much with this one. I can already tell that the pronunciation is going to kick my a**.

Oh well...I guess life would be a boring thing without these 'little' challenges.

Hidden
Groupie
Joined 4701 days ago

42 posts - 48 votes

Message 45 of 47
28 September 2012 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Spanish

Ah!!!...Verb tables = my new nemesis.

So many verbs and conjugations to learn, not to mention the vocab as well. O.O

However; I'm determined to get a place on this course, in spite of the fact that the tutor doesn't think that it's possible to catch up in the time that I have...ok...probably because the tutor doesn't think it's possible. I guess I've never been very good at being told what I can't do.

On the plus side; I'm really enjoying Spanish so far. I can't believe I almost dropped it, but then I suppose I never really started it until I had the course to motivate me.

I've decided that, even if I can't do enough to stay on this course, I'll be continuing with it anyway. I'm having way too much fun with it...verb tables included. :)

Mandarin

I'm into the second week of my beginners course, and enjoying it immensely. :)

I'm still a bit worried about the tonal aspect, but the tutor told me that I have a good ear, so there may be hope for me yet.

Counting the days 'til my next lesson. :)

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5163 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 46 of 47
16 November 2012 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Hey! How is your Spanish course going? Did you manage to catch up in the end? I can be
the same way, when someone says I can't do something I have to do it just to prove them
wrong :P That's a really good motivation! Keep it up! :)

Hidden
Groupie
Joined 4701 days ago

42 posts - 48 votes

Message 47 of 47
11 December 2012 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
WingSuet wrote:
Hey! How is your Spanish course going? Did you manage to catch up in the end? I can be
the same way, when someone says I can't do something I have to do it just to prove them
wrong :P That's a really good motivation! Keep it up! :)

Hey. Yes, I did manage to catch up eough for them to offer me a permanent place on the course. Unfortunately circumstances have changed for me, and I wasn't able to continue. :(

I agree with you though. I find that nothing motivates me more than someone saying, "you can't do ....". I find that I just have to prove them wrong. :)

I'm focusing mainly on Mandarin at the moment, which I'm still really enjoying. I'm already starting to look in to the course for the next level up, and I'm actually considering doing Mandarin at University.

As far as German goes, I've been slacking a bit. :(

I'm almost obsessed with Mandarin at the moment (I can't help it, I just love the language), and I'm afraid that I've been letting my German studies slip.
On the plus side; I still watch programmes in German, and I'm hoping to join a German conversation group which is starting up near me after Christmas. :)

Edited by Hidden on 11 December 2012 at 7:41pm

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version