Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC’13 Pax Team (ita+cat) / Assimil Exp.

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
261 messages over 33 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 ... 32 33 Next >>
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 161 of 261
30 October 2012 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
@montmorency: This is what I've been talking about. In Standard German, post-vocalic /r/ isn't realized as an [ʁ], [ʀ], or [r], but as an [ɐ̯] (Don't know if you can see the IPA symbols in Chrome, so I'll explain the sounds), i.e. not as an 'r'-sound but rather as a dull, non-syllabic 'a'. The ending -er as in 'Bruder' or 'Wasser' is always pronounced [ɐ], i.e. as a dull, syllabic 'a'.

You will hear the 'r' only in South Germany and Switzerland -- and in stage pronunciation (Bühnenaussprache), which is probably the reason why Gert Westphal pronounces it. Stage pronunciation is an idealized, overly enunciate kind of pronunciation used by classical actors and opera singers to better convey the sounds on stage.

The lady on www.soundcomparisons.com however speaks absolutely normal Standard German. The only thing I noticed while having a quick glance at the site is that they translate tear with 'Zähre', which is a word used by J. S. Bach in the St Matthew Passion, but not by any living German. Actually, they write 'Träne', but underneath is the IPA transcription for 'Zähre' and the lady says 'Zähre', too. No idea how they came to use that word...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 162 of 261
30 October 2012 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
To go back to the previous subject, I dug out my too long neglected "A Guide to Old English" (Mitchell and Robinson, 7th Edition).

Excellent book! I'm using it myself at the moment.

montmorency wrote:
The letter "v" does not seem to have existed at this time, so there are no "vor" or "ver" prefixes, and don't seem to be any "wer" or "wor" prefixes either.

There are plenty of words with "for" though.

No, Old English didn't use the letter v, and w wasn't invented yet. But as Modern German employs the v in 'vor-' and 'ver-' to represent an [f] sound, it's quite logical that Old English would use a real f. You can also find this in e.g. Swedish, which has the prefix 'för-'.

montmorency wrote:
(Interestingly, the prefix "ymh" means "around", e.g. ymhgang "circuit" "cirmumference", umlædan - "lead around".)

'Ymh-' corresponds with German 'um-'.

montmorency wrote:
Old English seems to have been surprisingly complex. I wonder if it was more or less complex than say, modern Icelandic?

Nope, Icelandic is morphologically much more complicated than Old English. But OE is a bit more complex than Modern German, although not that much. One could compare it to Faroese, I think.

Edited by Josquin on 30 October 2012 at 9:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5677 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 163 of 261
31 October 2012 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
As we were talking about some aspects of pronunciation here, I hope you don't mind if I use this space to ask Josquin what he thinks of the "Standard" German pronunciations given here:

Sound Comparisons

Thanks, montmorency. There are more details than I could foresee, from [ʁɛ̝çt], with a raised /e/ and "normal" /t/ to [mäʊs], with a centralized /a/. Nice! :))
1 person has voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5677 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 164 of 261
02 November 2012 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
German Monthly Report

Activities done
* "The Big Bang Theory", German audio with German subtitles, once more some episodes from first season.
* "Game of Thrones", German audio, all second season.
* "Ostseefluch" by Eva Almstädt, finished. Good, but not enough to make me buy other books from this writer.
* "Lernen" by Manfred Spitzer, very interesting book, but I'm reading it it very slowly.
* "Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse. Quite interesting. Besides, the language is simple. Edit: I've read just 1/4 of this book so far.
* "Geist und Gehirn". Have seen more from this interesting series.
* Flashcards in my Langenscheidt German-Portuguese iPhone app. Just to intensively train some important not yet memorized words.
* Every day, many times a day, I read something on Wikipedia and some news from "Die Zeit".
* Other activities reported here on this log. Thanks again to Josquin for his great support!

Progress
This has been a month of no visible progress, but just been able to read and listen more and more is enough.

Edited by Flarioca on 02 November 2012 at 4:45pm

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5677 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 165 of 261
02 November 2012 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
The best IPA typing site I've found so far.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5677 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 166 of 261
07 November 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
I'll use this log to report my progress in the Assimil Experiment, along with our Group Log.

I'll put some useful links for Catalan also in the first message of this log.

The first one is the site Els sons del Català.

Edit: I'll start only at November 15th, but couldn't resist to find some resources. Besides, I'm aware that for this experiment we are not supposed to use much beyond Assimil.

Edited by Flarioca on 07 November 2012 at 1:39pm

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5677 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 167 of 261
08 November 2012 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Learning languages can be, I would say, often is, a life-changing experience. It gives you access to stuff you would hardly find otherwise and, no, automatic translation isn't the same thing, it will never be, I guess.

Reading this article on Zeit Online I've decided to search for the mentioned scientific works on juggling. Indeed there seems to be a very unexpected positive effect out of this activity, which is great for me, since I'm learning it, after my child's request :-))

It is also worth remarking that the Wikipedia article in German about juggling is way much better than the English one, not only containing the scientific reference cited in the forementioned Zeit Online article, but some other and more recent ones.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5677 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 168 of 261
11 November 2012 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Another useful online grammar.

This discussion contains 261 messages over 33 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version