Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC’13 Pax Team (ita+cat) / Assimil Exp.

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
261 messages over 33 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 32 33 Next >>
Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5677 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 33 of 261
27 January 2012 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
I haven't got much answers in the thread about der-ein-words and adjectives declensions.

So, I've decided to bring it here, maybe more people you comment and suggest modifications.

It must be emphasized that the main ideas for this table comes from the book "A Morpho-Syntactic Review of German" by F. Donahue, which I'm enjoying a lot.

On page 148 bottom, there is a nice paradigm-table with all declensions for the combination der-words/ein-words/adjectives.

der-words: der, all-, beid-, dies- etc.
ein-words: kein, mein etc.

However, I think that in order to keep things simpler, some confusion arises.

For instance, in the book, the superscript "n" in the masculine/genitive indicates that you must write "schwarzen Kaffees", and in the case of plural/nominative, you use the superscript "n" in "keine jungen Leute". However, when the adjective is alone you use "junge Leute", with the main letter "e".

So, I've decided to build a table that would be easier for me to understand. Of course, it is uncertain if someone will agree with my modifications. Anyway, here it is:

The order is der/das/die/die(plural). I prefer this way because of similar endings.
Colors:
*blue = nominative
*green = accusative
*gray = dative
*red = genitive
The letter after a plus sign "+" indicates ending addition in the noun.
Slash "/" indicates differences between der-words and ein-words.
Superscripts = adjective endings. When adjectives are alone, use the rightmost one.

Edited by Flarioca on 27 January 2012 at 2:35am

1 person has voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5677 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 34 of 261
29 January 2012 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
German Monthly Report

1 - Activities done

a) Every day:
* Anki. This is one of the great features of SRS systems. The material is there to be studied, you feel the slow but daily progress and its effects. At this moment, just two decks. One built from LwT, another with "German-English false friends". I've just got one with 500 idioms from Anki repository and I'm building another with rules for German genders and related examples.
* Reading news (from RSS feeds). Most often three complet reports.

b) Almost every day:
* Listening: Either the book I'm simultaneously reading with LwT (Effi Briest), or Alpha Centauri. Sometimes, both.
* Phrases translation in Tatoeba. Just a relaxing activity, but it seems to help vocabulary fixation.
* Etymology search. I'm enjoyng this a lot. It really helps me to improve the memorization of some previously hard words. Words of the month: ziehen and its offsprings.
* Random word search with Lexipedia. Actually, Lexipedia is my first dictionary in LwT, but I often do some other random searches there.
* Random read, though mostly from Wikipedia.

c) About three times a week.
* Grammar studies. Mostly with "A Morpho-Syntactic Review of German", by F.E Donahue, but during the last days also with "Hammer's Grammar and Usage", by M. Durrell. So far, IMO, the best feature of the first is how he teaches declensions, and the best feature of the second is how he deals with verb valency, though I'm just beginning to read that.
* General work (reading, listening, writing, grammar review) with Erkundungen B2.
* Listening to music. Many days, more than one hour long sessions. It may not be so much helpful for language learning, but, besides the per se pleasure, being able to do some "real life" activity in your target language, even if far from perfectly, is great.

d) Once a week, mostly.
* Writing in Lang-8. This is something that should be listed at a), but after some attempts, I realized that it wouldn't be nice just to repeat the same mistakes again and again. I need some time to improve from previous mistakes, learn some grammar and then make new mistakes (with a few repetitions).
* Random listening. It seems that listening is the least of my problems, and I'm already doing it regularly, so I've reduced random listening activities, though I'm quite sure that listening to radio should be done more often.

2 - Activities missing

a) First and above all, speaking. I've recorded one attempt to read stuff, but this is closer to nothing. My initial plan included the hiring a personal tutor in February and this is still on my list, but it seems that I need to do something earlier.
-> Decisions:
# Start tomorrow the passive "Assimil Perfectionnement Allemand" phase, but giving emphasis to the outloud repetition activity.
# Memorize some short stories from Johann Peter Hebels , record them and try to improve accent but mostly smoothness.
# I'm not yet confortable with the idea to talk to people through the internet in German and will not try to do it right now.

b) As already said, my initial plan included more frequent writing activities. I hope that next month I'll write in Lang-8 twice a week. Maybe, I'll do shorter texts. It seems a feasible goal.

3 - Progress so far

I was hoping to have more free time than I actually did have, but it seems that the progress during the last month has been satisfactory. I'm starting to read more and more confidently, guessing more from context and attempting to read more complex stuff.

The Alpha-Centauri series is something great, because Prof. Harald Lesch talks in a natural pace about a subject that I understand. Besides, I enjoy his approach to the subject.

The difficulties to improve on active skills were foreseeable but I hope to overcome some barriers next month.

Edited by Flarioca on 29 January 2012 at 6:29pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6347 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 35 of 261
29 January 2012 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
Great posts, I had not seen your other thread.

Is it worth adjusting this with the following:

s^(e)n+(e)s ?

for example for

der trockene Wein
des trockenen Weines

2 persons have voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5677 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 36 of 261
30 January 2012 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
zenmonkey wrote:
Great posts, I had not seen your other thread.

Is it worth adjusting this with the following:

s^(e)n+(e)s ?

for example for

der trockene Wein
des trockenen Weines

zenmonkey

Thanks!

I have already memorized that declension table, and it's been really helpful not only for writing but even more for reading. The original table has less letters but, as I said, it turned out to be slightly confuse, from my point of view.

At this point, adding extra information, exceptions etc., could make it slightly more clumsy for someone who sees it for the first time, but may help those who are already familiar with a simpler version.

I'll try to do that and put it here for further comments and critique.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5677 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 37 of 261
02 February 2012 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
Seit einige Tage sehe ich eine Sendung von Bayerischer Rundfunk, nämlich alpha-Centauri.

Ich weiß ein bisschen über Astrophysik, und das ist ein schöner Weg, um Deutsch zu lernen. Es sind keine Untertitel vorhanden, und Prof. Harald Lesch spricht etwas schnell, aber ich glaube, dass das ist sehr wichtig, wenn man seine Sprachkenntnisse verbessern will.

Vor einigen Tagen war es mir überraschend, noch einmal über Quasare denken. Ich glaube, dass es wunderbar ist, wenn man nicht nur eine Fremdsprache lernt, aber auch weitere Kenntnisse erwerben kann.

Corrected version (thanks to nomas and blutorange, from lang-8):

Seit einigen Tagen sehe ich eine Sendung des Bayerischen Rundfunks, nämlich alpha-Centauri.

Ich weiß ein bisschen über Astrophysik und das ist ein schöner Weg, um Deutsch zu lernen. Es sind keine Untertitel vorhanden und Prof. Harald Lesch spricht etwas schnell, aber ich glaube, dass das sehr wichtig ist, wenn man seine Sprachkenntnisse verbessern will.

Vor einigen Tagen hat es mich überrascht, noch einmal über Quasare nachzudenken. Ich glaube, dass es wunderbar ist, wenn man nicht nur eine Fremdsprache lernt, sondern dabei auch weitere Kenntnisse erwerben kann.

Edited by Flarioca on 02 February 2012 at 2:25pm

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5677 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 38 of 261
04 February 2012 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday, I received a new book: "Etymologisches Wörterbuch des Deutschen" which seems much more useful and easier than "Das Herkunfts-wörterbuch" for an intermediate learner.

As I said some posts ago, this etymological searches seem to me a nice and funny way to learn and memorize words.

For instance, this way I've learned how "ziehen" and "denken" are related do the latim "ducere" and so on.

For me, this makes it much easier to understand further developments and offsprings from German words.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5677 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 39 of 261
07 February 2012 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Ich habe ein neues Buch erhalten und möchte darüber etwas sagen, aber zuerst stelle ich eine Frage: Kann man sagen: "Ich habe ein neues Buch empfangen"? Und wenn man das nicht sagen darf, warum nicht?

Um mal wieder auf das Thema zurückzukommen, der Titel des Buch ist: "dtv-Atlas deutsche Sprache". Ich habe es noch nicht viel gelesen, aber es ist mir schon klarer geworden, wie die deutsche Sprache sich entwickelt.

Es ist auch ein sehr interessantes Kapitel über die Statistik von Teilbereichen der deutschen Sprache. Man sagt, dass die häufigsten 13215 Wörter bereits knapp 90% eines Film-Dialog ausmachen. Es muss aber trotzdem gesagt werden, dass es zwischen diese 13215 Wörter viele sind, die nicht so verschieden sind. Zum Beispiel, die Wörter "diese", "dieser", "dieses", "diesen" und "diesem" sind unter die 207 häufigsten Wörter in geschriebene Sprache um das Jahr 1900.

Correted version (Thanks to nomas, from lang-8):

Ich habe ein neues Buch erhalten und möchte darüber etwas sagen, aber zuerst stelle ich eine Frage: Kann man sagen: "Ich habe ein neues Buch empfangen"? Und wenn man das nicht sagen darf, warum nicht?

Um mal wieder auf das Thema zurückzukommen, der Titel des Buchs ist: "dtv-Atlas deutsche Sprache". Ich habe noch nicht viel darin gelesen, aber es ist mir schon klarer geworden, wie die deutsche Sprache sich entwickelt.

Es hat auch ein sehr interessantes Kapitel über die Statistik von Teilbereichen der deutschen Sprache. Man sagt, dass die häufigsten 13215 Wörter bereits knapp 90% eines Film-Dialogs ausmachen. Es muss aber trotzdem gesagt werden, dass es unter diesen 13215 Wörtern viele sind, die nicht sehr verschieden sind. Zum Beispiel zählen die Wörter "diese", "dieser", "dieses", "diesen" und "diesem" zu den 207 häufigsten Wörtern in geschriebener Sprache um das Jahr 1900.

Edited by Flarioca on 08 February 2012 at 1:17am

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5677 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 40 of 261
11 February 2012 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
I've just finished the 13th lesson from "Assimil - Perfectionnement Allemand". It's time to say something about that.

My earlier contact with Assimil (Hungarian) was very pleasent, but since I stopped after about 20 lessons, it was not enough to have a decent idea about this method. Of course, 13 lessons doesn't add much, but confirms how pleasant it is.

My main goal was to train speaking, and that's what I'm doing. It helps a lot that the vocabulary is well fitted to my present level.

After listening the first time (without reading), so far, I've always understood the main subject of the lessons, most often completely understood it. After a second listening (again, no reading) only a few words required further research.

Then, I listen it and read the German version. It mostly reinforces previous understanding. A further listening while french reading discloses the full meaning of a few remaining words. Then, I thoroughly read the grammatical/vocabulary explanations, sometimes consulting my grammars and dictionaries, to go deeper. After this, I listen it once more silently, before listening and repeating it aloud a number of times. All of that takes me about 30-40 minutes.

When i'm commuting to/from lunch, I listen it again some 5-10 times, trying to repeat each line aloud.

The main great feature of Assimil, in my opinion, besides the nice "grammatical pills", is the humour and how it makes every story worth reading by itself. I'm quite sure that this will be of great usage during the active phase, because it makes memorization of most of the text quite natural.

However, so far, it has been suggested that you fully memorize only one lesson, a poem, which I did and will record it after a few more rehearsal sessions.

I cannot say if this course alone would really bring anyone from B2 to C1, and I'll not test that, for I'm using many additional resources. Anyway, I'm quite sure that Assimil will help me a lot.

This discussion contains 261 messages over 33 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version