Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Comparison of books for Mandarin Chinese?

Tags: Book | Mandarin
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Olen
United Kingdom
Joined 4535 days ago

4 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, Latin

Message 1 of 12
24 December 2011 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Among the several languages that I am interested in taking up, Mandarin has been a recurring theme with me, since I first saw Guilin in the BBC's excellent 'Wild China' series. Although I take it that I would eventually need to work on the Guilin dialect of Mandarin Chinese, the best starting place has to be the standard version.

Would any of you who have experience with the popular courses be able to comment on their relative worth, in comparison to one another?

In particular, I am interested in learning more about the following:

Chinese with Ease (V1 & V2)
Writing Chinese Characters
Colloquial Chinese
Teach Yourself Mandarin
FSI Chinese
New Practical Chinese Reader

Feel free to rank them, or to give your reviews of any not mentioned here. As a sidenote, people often mention a particular course's failure to deliver on written hanzí script. Which of these do include work on the script, and are there any other books which could supplement the courses mentioned above?

Thank you for your time, and have a nice Christmas.

Edited by Olen on 25 December 2011 at 5:24am

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6706 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 12
24 December 2011 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Chinese with ease" vol 1+2 all have characters, so does my edition of Teach Yourself Chinese (it's "Chinese" not "Mandarin). If you by "Writing Chinese characters" mean Assimil's "Writing Chinese with ease", then that one also has characters (and teaches each one stroke by stroke).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Olen
United Kingdom
Joined 4535 days ago

4 posts - 6 votes
Studies: Portuguese, Latin

Message 3 of 12
24 December 2011 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Chinese with ease" vol 1+2 all have characters, so does my edition of Teach Yourself Chinese (it's "Chinese" not "Mandarin). If you by "Writing Chinese characters" mean Assimil's "Writing Chinese with ease", then that one also has characters (and teaches each one stroke by stroke).

Thank you for correcting me.

It would be interesting to know whether "Writing Chinese with Ease" is worth the cost to work with alongside the regular Assimil. As it stands, "Chinese with Ease" is already in two volumes, and adding a third would only make the set triple the price of a regular Assimil (not to mention that there are very few used copies).

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6706 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 12
24 December 2011 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
I don't know what the price is today, but I got vol 1+2 for about €35 each (including the 4 CDs per volume), and after seeing that "Writing Chinese with ease" cost ~€9 (it's only a book) I got that one as well. The regular Assimil course doesn't teach characters per se, that's only an added feature to the pinyin and the translation.

Now, you won't become an expert calligrapher after copying the characters stroke by stroke. I got it because I wanted to practice handwriting just for the fun of it (and surprisingly, the characters tend to stick a bit better if I produce them myself rather than just see them on paper).

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 21 January 2012 at 10:30am

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4621 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 5 of 12
26 December 2011 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Maybe you can find these (with cds) at your library (check the university/colleges libraries too) or have them
order it (and then put the mp3s on your computer of course). I haven't used the Assimil character work book but
I've looked at it and it seemed very well done, very simple. As for the actual learning book, the beginning felt
weird because the speaking is in-cr-e-di...bl--y slow going and emphasized, but I'm sure that's the
beginning only. So I was kind of put off the Assimil book and recording by the first lessons and the starting tone
exercises which are very boring. It didn't feel concrete enough for me so I took the Pimsleur Mandarin at the
library and started with that and felt like I was moving forward. I wanted to come back to Assimil after a Pimsleur
introduction of a few lessons but I haven't gotten that far yet or I just want to go on with Pimsleur for now. As for
FSI, I started it too but after a few lessons strictly concerned with tones, I got very bored and couldn't assimilate
the material. So my personal tip would be to start with Pimsleur or something similar (maybe Book2 can be a kind
of alternative) just to get the language and its music in your mouth and in your brain, and then move on to tone
exercises and the following lessons of Assimil or FSI.
Book2 mandarin : http://www.goethe-
verlag.com/book2/EN/index.htm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Opensecret
Triglot
United States
Joined 4489 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 6 of 12
21 January 2012 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
If you want to speak and understand spoken Chinese, start with an audio course. I like the Pimsleur course, though it's not cheap. (I agree with Homogenik that starting with Pimsleur and then going to a text works well.)

For learning to read Chinese, my two favorite books for beginners are the Assimil series (I did them in the French version), and Conversational Chinese 301 (Kang and Lai, Beijing Language and Culture Press). Both include the pinyin along with the characters, which not all texts do; that saves a lot of time trying to track down characters you're not sure how to pronounce.

Before I found the books above, I also used A Key to Chinese Speech and Writing (Bellassen and Penpeng, Sinolingua), which also worked well for me. It provides helpful introductory material on basics of the language and the beginning lessons are easy to follow if you already have some basic spoken vocabulary.

I've bought more than one text for learning to write Chinese characters, but I haven't stuck with them. I've pretty much decided that reading characters, and typing them via the pinyin input method, is enough for my purposes.

3 persons have voted this message useful

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4497 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 7 of 12
21 January 2012 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Hi, What program did you choose then and how are you getting on?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6267 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 8 of 12
21 January 2012 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
None of the regular textbooks are good at teaching you the characters systematically
(New Practical Chinese Reader tries to), because that would require introducing them in
a different order than they are needed in the dialogs. Therefore, I recommend getting a
second book that is only about characters to go with your main textbook. Check out my
reviews of various great Chinese character books at
http://www.learnlangs.com/blog/?p=228

You might want to add "Boya Chinese" to your list of potential textbooks; it's one of
the most popular textbooks used in China and it comes in many volumes leading up to a
very high level. Initially I chose "New Practical Chinese Reader" for this reason (it
has 5 volumes), but then my Chinese tutor showed me Boya Chinese and I was impressed
with their selection of texts. At the intermediate level, one of their texts moved me
to tears. The texts in "New Practical Chinese Reader" are all typical textbook dialogs,
even at the later levels.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 21 January 2012 at 6:38pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version