3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 46
27 March 2005 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
ujoe wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
I like to think of polyglots as speaking five or more languages. However, if the languages are difficult and unrelated, I would lower this standard to four languages. For example, an American who speaks English, Arabic, Russian, and Japanese (without any family background) would be more of a polyglot to me than someone who speaks English, French, Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese.

In Malaysia it is quite common for people to speak three unrelated languages. The languages here are totally different in all aspects - writing system, cultural background, grammatical structure, vocabulary and language family. It is tough to be able to speak all fluently, more so to be able to write them.

Common combinations are:
Malay + English + one Chinese dialect
Malay + English + one Indian language

This being the case, I'd consider someone who speaks four difficult unrelated languages to be a polyglot.

Examples of some real-life Malaysians:
Malay + English + Mandarin + Tamil (a Tamil who went to a Chinese school)
Malay + English + Punjabi + Cantonese + Tamil (a Punjabi Sikh who grew up surrounded by people of different ethnic backgrounds)
Malay + English + Thai + Mandarin + Hokkien (a Chinese living near the Thai border)
Malay + English + Arabic + Urdu (a Malay Muslim religious teacher who studied theology in India)
Malay + English + Cantonese + Japanese (a Chinese from Kuala Lumpur)

I wonder whether there are other instances of such 'natural polyglots'. In Switzerland it is not so common for people to be fluent in more than their native language (French, Swiss-German or Italian) and English.

I have always been impressed by the Dutch sense for languages, they seem to speak Dutch, English and often either German or French.

These are not actual 'polyglots' but it seems to me that certain locations foster polyglottery.
1 person has voted this message useful

Eric
Australia
Joined 7030 days ago

102 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 2 of 46
27 March 2005 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
What's Belgium like as a fostering ground Francois?

I assume that Belgians speak two languages fluently (be it French + English or German + English), yet I'd like to think there are many Beligians who know all 3 rather well, and perhaps some Dutch too?

Malcolm
Triglot
Retired Moderator
Korea, South
Joined 7117 days ago

500 posts - 515 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 3 of 46
27 March 2005 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Jean-Claude Van Damme, a Belgian, speaks English, French, Italian, and Flemmish.

manna
Groupie
Kyrgyzstan
Joined 7060 days ago

94 posts - 112 votes 

Message 4 of 46
30 March 2005 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
To my limited knowledge, there are not many places in Europe where there is natural bilingualism or even multilingualism. As François (do you really spell your name with c rather than ç?) mentioned, in Switzerland, despite all the talk of having multiple languages, people usually speak their own language, plus learn one at school (often not to great depths).

As for the Dutch, both English and German are very closely related languages, so the effort is not as large as elsewhere.

In many places in Africa and South Asia, as far as I know, multilingualism is normal, yet it's in Eruope/the States that speaking (merely) three languages fluently is enough to impress many people.

Edited by manna on 30 March 2005 at 4:47am

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7120 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 46
30 March 2005 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Francois is spelled with ç (cédille) - as is the name written on the bottom of this page. It's just not as convenient to type c cedille all the time - and the accents.

palito
Diglot
United States
Joined 7009 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: French, English

Message 6 of 46
02 April 2005 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
I have noticed that all my kazakh friends speak fluently russian, kazakh and turkish. I think it's a very common thing in that country to have at least two languages plus russian.

Edited by palito on 02 April 2005 at 3:15am

Giordano
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6976 days ago

213 posts - 218 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Cantonese, Greek

Message 7 of 46
05 April 2005 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
I find it interesting that in English schools in Montreal, children generally have "french immersion" (half of their day/courses in french) from kindergarten through high school, and sometimes into college, plus most english schools also teach a third language, usually that of the minority group the school serves (italian, greek, and portuguese are most common), while in French schools, the French language laws prohibit the teaching of any secondary language untill grade three, and there is no such thing as "English immersion".

Recently a francophone family (along with others- it's complicated) took up Bill 101 (the french language law) in court. The issue went all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada, which ruled that since Bill 101 was "protecting" the language of the majority, they could not send their children to "minority" schools.

It seems that, when forced to adapt, we do. Whether you need French to buy milk or to conduct business, you'll learn it if you have to.

thinkbluecollar
Joined 7000 days ago

13 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 8 of 46
01 May 2005 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
If I remember correctly, pollyglottery was (is?) common in Slavic nations, as most tend to speak at least a language aside from their native tongue. For example, my French teacher speaks three "nativley"- Ukranian, Russian, and Polish, and apparently also spoke Belorusian as a girl, but has forgotten all of it.

I don't know if she's really the example or the exception, but, for the most part, but either way, a lot of Slavs have at least a passive understanding of other Slavic languages, as a lot are similar to others.

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version