Diglot
United States
Joined 4821 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 1 of 13
26 December 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Question here for everyone - is there anything better than Pimsleur for learning
Japanese? What I really need is an audio course the drills you on vocabulary (and at
least some grammar), similar to Pimsleur, but preferably one that is less horrible. I'm
halfway through Pimsleur II and the only thing that they've said so far is formal
Japanese. My understanding from what my girlfriend's father says is that you basically
always use the casual form, so basically everything I'm learning here is nearly
useless. Even many of the nouns seem to be polite nouns.

Frankly, I'm sick of this attitude of only teaching the "highest" and "most polite"
forms of language. For example, as soon as I started speaking French to people who
actually speak French, I was admonished for using ne, and I didn't even
bother using vous, since no one I ever met really use it. And yet,
Pimsleur ONLY teaches you these things. It seems even worse in Japanese, because with
French, the tu form is usually the same as the je form, and it's not much
to drop "ne" and switch from "n'est-ce pas" to "non", but in Japanese it's a whole
separate set of verb forms I'm going to have to learn, and these verb stems seem very
malleable. Is there any audio course available that takes this sort of attitude?

As an aside, what is up with language learning courses and the insistence on this rigid
formality? You're a non-native speaker, you're very unlikely to sound like a hoighty-
toighty aristocrat in the language, much better to learn the casual stuff and at least
sound like a normal person and not a weird formality robot.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6469 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 2 of 13
26 December 2011 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
The simple forms are very easily deducted from those taught, the simple past is morphologically the same as the -
te form except that it uses an -a instead of an e. If I recall correctly you cannot staple the -masu forms in the same
way as the -u/-ru forms, so someway along they have to be taught no matter what, so you’ll eventually see them…
Just not as frequent as they’re used among people in daily conversation.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5345 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 3 of 13
26 December 2011 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
I can't speak for the Japanese version, but in Pimsleur Korean much of the dialog seemed to be aimed at someone working in a business environment there. In that scenario you would use quite a bit of more formal / more polite language.

Most of Pimsleur Korean used what was known as the "informal polite" level of speech. It wasn't casual, but wasn't completely at the formal polite end either. Converting most informal polite speech back to the casual form in Korean (and it sounds like Japanese is similar based on Hampie's post) is not really difficult (for most verbs you simply drop the "-yo" from the end).

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4844 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 4 of 13
26 December 2011 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
I finished the Japanese 3 phases, and it is very useful for grammar (structures, adjectives, particles).

From the different languages I have learned, the default is to teach polite language first no matter what language that is. There are classes and books for informal and even vulgar (rude) language, but that is not what you will find in Pimsleur or indeed most basic language instruction.

Pimsleur can't teach you everything, and that isn't one of its goals. Warp3 was correct, too, that a lot of the content in the Japanese is for a business traveler. It isn't claiming to be a business course, but several of the scenarios are for such.

fivesquare, I am surprised that you are sick of polite language. It's just the considerate thing to do, especially when embarking in someone else's language and culture. Yes, it will be obvious that one is a foreigner, but is the first impression you want to give that you are ignorant and rude? I'm not saying you are that way, but it could certainly happen with a speaker who automatically prefers to speak the plain form of the language and doesn't even know social manners.
4 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4940 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 5 of 13
26 December 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
I don't know of a single language course that doesn't teach the formal before the informal. Is there one?

That said, I'd much rather start off with formal, then progress to informal, because that's generally how our interactions with people go.

If you're looking for another drill-type program, I would suggest FSI, but it looks like they only offer the FAST text.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

fivesquare
Diglot
United States
Joined 4821 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes

Message 6 of 13
26 December 2011 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
jdmoncada wrote:

fivesquare, I am surprised that you are sick of polite language. It's just the
considerate thing to do, especially when embarking in someone else's language and
culture. Yes, it will be obvious that one is a foreigner, but is the first impression
you want to give that you are ignorant and rude? I'm not saying you are that
way, but it could certainly happen with a speaker who automatically prefers to speak
the plain form of the language and doesn't even know social manners.

Well, here's the thing. I personally do want to be as polite as is necessary in the new
language, but I know that for myself and for at least one other person I know, when you
run around using really formal language in French but then make a bunch of grammar
mistakes, they yell at you. They are like, "No, it sounds too weird, talk like a normal
person." To some extent, using polite forms all the time is also not polite, it's
inappropriate. The rule of thumb is generally that you can't be too polite, but you
still have to read the situation. If someone runs around calling everyone Sir and Ma'am
in America, some people are going to be offended because you're basically calling them
old.

When someone is learning your language, you are much more accommodating, because they
are making an effort. Like, for example, if some Turkish guy comes over here and buys
something from me and struggles over every word, then at the end of our interaction he
says, "Thanks... mother... f**ker?", I'm going to assume that some jerk taught him that
"Thanks, motherf**ker" is the way that people say goodbye or something. I'll probably
tell him that he really shouldn't be saying goodbye like that, but he at least gets a
pass to start with. In general, when you are first learning a language, you're
going to butcher it so much that if the speaker thinks it's cool that you are learning
their language, it doesn't matter what forms you use, and if the speaker thinks they'd
rather not talk to someone who butchers their language so much, you're on the outs no
matter what you do also. However, if you speak like a casual, normal person during your
early interactions with them, they are much more likely to think that you are doing
well with their language. Then, as you progress to the point where you would normally
learn the informal stuff, you'll instead learn the formal.

Oh, and the final thing I would say about this is that for some people it is the
business interactions and such where you first use this, but honestly, if you are doing
business interactions with someone based only on what you've learned in Pimsleur,
you're not going to get very far and you'll switch to English/use a translator if you
want to get anything done soon enough. However, for me and I imagine for many of you,
the first live interactions in your target language are going to be language exchange
buddies on the internet or locally. They are going to skew towards being your age and
being the sort of people that you have casual, friend-level conversations with, which
is why I'd much prefer to learn basic, casual conversation first (even if you
personally always use the polite form, the other person is almost certainly going to
use casual forms, and you'll be caught off-guard trying to understand them).

The one advantage I can see of drilling so hard on the formal at the beginning is that
it seems to me in French and Japanese, when you actually go and use the language, you
will almost never use the formal, so you likely won't pick it up as readily as you
would pick up the informal from talking to other normal people.

Edited by fivesquare on 26 December 2011 at 8:04pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

fivesquare
Diglot
United States
Joined 4821 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes

Message 7 of 13
26 December 2011 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
Oh, and besides the discussion of the merits of formality and Pimsleur - which I
definitely see the merits of, my French learning program (which I think worked quite
well) was based around a combination of Pimsleur and Anki for core vocabulary building
- the question at hand is is there anything (audio-wise) that is better in this
dimension? I would also like to know if there's anything to expand my vocab beyond
Pimsleur. I think Pimsleur generally serves as a nice head-start in a language, but it
really won't take you all the way. My problem is that my best time to study would be on
my commute to various places or if I'm at work, doing chores, exercising, that sort of
thing. I tend to do much better at keeping up my study if it's something I can listen
to and practice that way. The only even mildly decent thing I've found for this sort of
study is Pimsleur, but that only gives you a pretty small vocabulary, I would estimate
150-300 words or so. If there were phases 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 of Pimsleur I'd jump on them
in a heartbeat. Do you guys have anything that serves that role?

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4844 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 8 of 13
26 December 2011 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
fivesquare wrote:
If someone runs around calling everyone Sir and Ma'am
in America, some people are going to be offended because you're basically calling them
old.

That's an imperfect comparison. I live in Louisiana, and people DO talk like that all the time. ;-) It's seen as strange if you don't. That's actually one reason why I immediately understood honorific speech in Japanese.

I was just being pedantic there, though. I understand your main point. In fact, on a different board I was chatting with a man who said the Hindi course by Pimsleur is full of antiquated language that makes someone sound very old-fashioned. I don't know if we have that much to worry about for Japanese as that politeness is essential.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version