5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 40
26 December 2011 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
WELCOME TO MY NEW TAC - LOG!

My project is that I will study 10 years of Danish with 2 years of study already behind me as I started learning Danish in October 2009.

I will continue with my Danish course in the city of D. plus self-study of Danish plus trying out my Danish on Skype.

The textbooks I use are listed on my blogwebsite. They are all German-based.

The two bilingual dictionaries I use are Danish - Dutch and Dutch - Danish of Gyldendal and Prisma-Gyldendal.

Even if my introduction is in English I will write in Danish regularly as well as in other of my foreign languages.

I will take part in the inidviudal challenge of the TAC 2012.

Kind regards,

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 26 December 2011 at 2:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5648 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 40
26 December 2011 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Monday, 26 December 2011

SELF-STUDY Danish: Unit 11 of the textbook + workbook "Vi snakkes ved"

OK, I am now in the process of studying this unit which deals with the Royal Family and family relationships in general.

I will continue tomorrow with this work!

Fasulye

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5648 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 40
28 December 2011 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
Wednesday, 28 January 2011

SKYPE CONVERSATION AND SELF-STUDY DANISH

Yesterday I had a Skype-conversation partly in Danish and my Skypy told me that in her opinion my Danish isn't on a beginner level any more. I will see how the next learning year will develop because this will also depend on my job situation as it might happen to me that I have to take a job which has shift work in the early evenings so that I can't continue my Danish course. So far I still feel more comfortable with calling my Danish "beginner level".

I am busy with INTENSIVE READING of our political novel. I decided that I will read the whole book inclusive the beginning which the other participants read with the teacher, when I wasn't in their course.

Yesterday I read two pages with looking up the unknown words.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 28 December 2011 at 1:17pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5648 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 40
29 December 2011 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
Thursday, 29 December 2011

The new year is approaching quickly... Next week I will have a job application procedure about a specific job which would be in collision with my Danish course, if I get it.

If they offer it to me, I have to take it anyway. The job includes shift work until 20:00 h in the evenings and my Danish course is always from 18:30 h until 20:00 h once a week.

So I have to see next week what comes out of it.

Fasulye

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5648 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 40
29 December 2011 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Thursday, 29 December 2011

MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY in Latin and - maybe - Ancient Greek

Today I ordered a book about medical terminology at my local bookshop with the nice title "Verstehen Sie Arzt?" and I had a discussion yesterday whether it is an advantage to have a general knowledge of Latin, if you want or have to learn the medical terminology. My personal opinion is that a general knowledge of Latin should be of an advantage for this. I don't know to what extent the medical terminology is derived from Ancient Greek, though. My knowledge of Ancient Greek vocabulary is almost on level zero, I have to admit. The last time that I used Ancient Greek was in 1979 when I had to prepare my school exam of Ancient Greek, so this is already 32 years(!) ago.

Tomorrow I will buy this new book and, if it's insightful, I will give a comment on it here in my log.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 29 December 2011 at 3:40pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5648 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 40
29 December 2011 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
HYPERLITERAL TRANSLATIONS?

Iversen discusses hyperlitaral translations in another thread, so this makes me think of whether they may be useful for my current stage of language learning.

When I was studying Turkish and wrote some very basic little essys I wanted to accomodate my log readers by adding hyperliteral translations. Because with Turkish if you aren't a speaker of Uzbek, Kazakh or any other Altaic language you don't understand Turkish sentences when you haven't studied the language.

When I write in Danish it's a different situation. People with a knowledge in other Germanic languages are able to guess the gist of it and Scandinavians like Solfrid Cristina from Norway can read Danish fluently anyway. So I don't see a necessity to add hyperliteral translations to my own writings about my activities with Danish.

And with my INTENSIVE READING of my political novel I have so much work with looking up all the vocabulary that it wouldn't be an improvement for me to copy native level Danish texts and make hyperliteral translations of them. This would only take away my time which I need to do all this vocabulary work. The book has 400 pages - and I want to read the WHOLE book by doing INTENSIVE READING.

So therefore making hyperliteral translations is a method which I don't applicate for the time being.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 30 December 2011 at 6:54am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5648 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 40
01 January 2012 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
HAPPY NEW YEAR to the readers of my TAC - log!

Due to sleeping - problems I couldn't do any language studies. I hope that this will be over soon.

The BABEL NO MORE book written by Michael Erard

I pre-orderd the book about hyperpolyglots "Babel No More" by Michael Erard at Amazon.de and they will ship it to me mid January. So I will certainly read this book in January 2012! I can't really wait because it is topic which has to do with my own person even if I am not - and will never be - a hyperpolyglot. Perhaps I should explain that Michael Erard originally defined "hyperpolyglot" as a person who speaks 6 or more languages (which I do!). But during his scientific he changed his own definition of "hyperpolyglot" into a person who speaks 11 or more languages. Our forum member Torbyrne for example calls himself on You Tube a "hyperpolyglot" and he is according Michael Erards newest definition a hyperpolyglot because he speaks more than 11 languages.

So the hyperpolyglot-research is for normal polyglots as relevant because also they are normally lifelong language learners.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 01 January 2012 at 4:57pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5648 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 40
05 January 2012 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Thursday, 05 January 2012

JOB APPLICATION

I am in the middle of a job application procedure, which includes two job interviews. The first job interview I had yesterday. The second will be tomorrow. It will be a language-related job in a internationally working company. Therefore my language abilities will also be tested.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 05 January 2012 at 3:43pm

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version