Groupie
Japan
Joined 4595 days ago

50 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English, German*, Japanese
Studies: Thai, Persian, Russian

Message 25 of 44
18 January 2012 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
Oh, it worked, it worked. My log is here!

Edited by jellyfish on 19 January 2012 at 4:52am

1 person has voted this message useful

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5419 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 26 of 44
19 January 2012 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
Hello, I might be interested to join in! My two obscure languages are Maori and Scots
Gaelic, while I'm also working on my French and Arabic. There also doesn't seem to be an
Arabic team (right?)

Ok I made a log. If you'll have me, my log is at the below address (embedding links
doesn't seem to be working for me sorry!)
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=30885&PN=1&TPN=1

Edited by Quabazaa on 19 January 2012 at 10:56am

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5419 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 27 of 44
25 January 2012 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
Very quiet in here! How are you guys doing? How do you face the challenges of studying
less popular languages?

In my case Maori's not too difficult to get resources for, as it's my home country and
I go there at least once a year and have visitors who could bring me language material.
There are also a lot of Maori speakers in Australia, so I hope I can befriend someone
who speaks the language, or at the very least, I'm in the right timezone to Skype back
home.

Gaelic on the other hand seems a bit trickier, I'm not sure I'll be able to find anyone
who speaks it even though I live in a big city. We'll see.

Do you also tell people about your languages? I'm not sure if most people can swallow
the idea that I'm studying Gàidhlig on top of Arabic, Korean etc. Why did you guys
choose to study the languages you're studying?

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4767 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 28 of 44
25 January 2012 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
Hey nice to hear from someone. I am very impressed with the languages you are learning.
Arabic, Korean, Japanese and Scottish Gaelic wow. I don't know too much about Maori but
I'd assume its not too easy either.
My Irish is going pretty well. I really like the language and I think there will be
enough opportunities to practice it with others, maybe not native speakers however. You
should how awesome of a language it is from Scottish, as both languages are very similar.
And as to answer why I started learning Irish, I like the idea of a country trying to
return to its traditional language, like Ireland is trying to do.

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5419 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 

Message 29 of 44
25 January 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
Hi Ellsworth :) Hehe it would be more impressive if I could speak them! One day! With
Maori it's not as difficult as it would be for someone who didn't grow up around it.
Where I lived I would at least hear it on the streets and such, we did learn a little
at school, I've been quite surprised at my passive knowledge considering I never took a
proper class. I have a long way to go though!

I can imagine that Irish is awesome. I just love the sound of Gaelic, and the music
too. It's cool that you're learning it! Tthe struggle to keep the languages has a lot
of parallel with New Zealand's struggle with Maori. I would say the majority of our
population is fairly indifferent to the language still (some of my friends have asked
me if it isn't going extinct, which is not true at all).

If anyone is interested in what Reo Maori sounds like and wants to learn a bit about
the revitalisation projects to get people speaking at home, check out
this short documentary on
youtube.

You guys should definitely share a bit about your languages, it's interesting to have a
group with such diversity in what we're studying

Edited by Quabazaa on 25 January 2012 at 1:37pm

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4715 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 30 of 44
25 January 2012 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Hi Quabazaa :-) You seem to know how to make me talk ;-)

Well, I picked French and Luxembourgish because I live here. Luxembourg, small country, 3 official languages (French, Luxembourgish, German) so I thought it's better to know them all. I love the way Luxembourgish sounds, it's a nice little language. As it belongs to the Central German dialect continuum I pretty much understand everything but speaking and writing it is another thing. French, well let it put me that way, I need it here. I was never in love with this language, but at least I start to like it now. There are parts of the French language and of the French culture that are charming. I think I might end up being friends with French.

As for Kurdish I'm going to quote myself and give you the answer I wrote in the "Criticism for Mid-Eastern Languages?" thread:
Mani wrote:
Well, pure coincidence I'd say. Studying at university (South Asian studies) most of my friends did a double major in Indology and Oriental Archaeology. So hanging out with the archaeology students I met one of the Ph. D. students who is a Kurd and we became friends. And then my best friend who was several times in Syria for excavations, met on the last of those excavations a Syrian Kurdish archaeologist who is now her husband. So she started learning Kurdish and he started learning German (and he's so good by now!). I visited them last year (edit: 2010) in August and he was watching Kurdish tv (a show on architecture if I remember correctly), first time I heard Kurdish spoken for more then a few words and I instantly fell in love with the sound. So I told my friend: "Okay, I'll join you learning Kurdish."

So far resources are no problem. I'm surrounded by Luxembourgish each day and with Kurdish I'm still a low beginner so I'm fine with my textbooks and the Dersa Kurdî series on youtube. And after that? Well there's the Kurdish Institute of Paris (another reason to learn French!), they publish a lot in Kurdish which might help. And as the last option I think I can always annoy my above mentioned friends... ;-)

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5183 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 31 of 44
26 January 2012 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been active this year yet. Only just getting back into the rhythm of studying foreign languages after the Christmas break and starting the second semester.

I've put in quite a lot of effort into Irish over the past few days or so - about 8 hours of going through Mícheál Ó Siadhail's book - and a lot of the constructions are very foreign to me, but it's very beautiful to learn and for some reason new words most of the time stick with me so easily.

From what I learned today, I was able to type this message to my girlfriend (just to test new sentence constructions; she doesn't speak Irish):

Ní fheicim anois thú! Níl mé cinnte, cá bhfuil tú. B'fhéidir go bhfuil tú ar an t-idirlíon, ach níl tú ar an bhFacebook.
which I think translates to: I don't see you now! I'm not sure where you are. Maybe you are on the internet, but you're not on Facebook.

A more certain sentence from an exercise today:
Deir sí go mbeidh an dream uilig ag an bhfarraige amáireach, ach ní chreidim ar chor ar bith í.
Amateur gloss: Say she that-positive will-be the crowd whole at the beach tomorrow, but not believe-I at-all her.
She says the whole crowd will be at the sea tomorrow, but I don't believe her at all.

I'll update anything new now, plus I'll post in more detail what I've done. I'll try and post once a week from now on into here with an update. Regarding my other languages, Hindi's not being studied right now, while I have Icelandic COURSES this semester which require some attention, plus I'm learning more and more Norwegian as the year goes on.

Glad to see posts, and sorry for being away again!

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4767 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 32 of 44
26 January 2012 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
Haha I love the "ar an bhFacebook." I love the eclipsing. Why doesn't English have that
:P?

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version