PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5183 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 33 of 44
26 January 2012 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
To Espejismo, Zecchino, Jellyfish and Quabazaa, welcome! Thanks very much Fasulye for editing the first post.

We have several Irish learners and a Scots Gaelic one now, so brilliant.

---

Haha Ellsworth, great you noticed that. Do you know if Irish speakers would eclipse or lenite foreign words or company names when they're mentioned? I really hope so. I've heard that in Finnish they call Facebook literally 'face', translated.

Edited by PaulLambeth on 26 January 2012 at 4:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4767 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 34 of 44
27 January 2012 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
I am almost positive they do! For instance, in America, where most of the Irish speakers
are is in Boston, and I have heard "Tá mé mo chonai i mBoston."

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5183 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 35 of 44
01 February 2012 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Good to hear that!

How's everyone been going with their challenges? I've done another while of Irish and have started some free Icelandic speaking classes by an Estonian lady who's been living here for 18 years. Very handy for getting hold of some essential phrases I always forget. Hindi's still not catching up much though.

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4767 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 36 of 44
12 February 2012 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Well Irish is going terribly for me! I feel like I am just wasting all my studying time
hunting for the pronunciation of what I am trying to write! May switch to something with
more resources like Farsi... :{

Edited by Ellsworth on 12 February 2012 at 10:44pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4940 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 37 of 44
12 February 2012 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
My studying is going OK, but my log entries are suffering.

Normally, January and February are slower months for me, work-wise. I've been solidly busy this year for whatever reason (not complaining!). I've managed to keep up my studying, but I'm not documenting it very well. I need to be better about it.

Oh well...

In the next day or two I'll update my own log with what's been going on.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 12 February 2012 at 10:54pm

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5419 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 38 of 44
13 February 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
Elsworth don't quit Irish!! I was just thinking that I wished Scottish Gaelic had as
many resources as Irish. I'm sure the pronunciation wil become more familiar to you
with time - it's like Scots Gaelic too that they are supposed to be phonetic, right? I
find it very difficult to get the sounds from the writing too but I am slowly
improving. With more listening practise we should be fine.

My learning is going well, I am a little weirded out by how easy it is for me to
remember vocabulary in Maori, apparently I've had a lot more passive listening than I
thought. The grammar of both Scottish Gaelic and Maori do seem rather foreign but I am
not getting discouraged, it's quite fun really. I am in that great stage where I feel
like I'm learning quickly. I also seem to forget some things quickly too, but I'm sure
it will stick eventually.

Hrhenry, hope you will find more time to study soon! Best of luck :)

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5366 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 39 of 44
13 February 2012 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
@Ellsworth
Stick with it Ellsworth...all this new Irish strangeness will eventually fall into place. What are you currently studying? I find the Buntús Cainte books/CDs much more fun and light-hearted, and each lesson is just a little bite at a time. I'd also recommend leaving any grammar and pronunciation worries behind you for the time being, and maybe just watch a bit of TG4 instead - they have loads of cool programmes and I find it always motivates me to learn Irish! :)

Edited by Teango on 13 February 2012 at 11:06am

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4715 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 40 of 44
13 February 2012 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
My Luxembourgish input is fantastic a the moment. Driving to work and back, I'm listening to RTL Luxembourg (radio) and they talk a lot, written input is great too, as I typewrite a friend's short stories that are on their way to be published. So I type and he proofreads and edits his texts and I learn many expressions...

Kurdish is going slowly but surely. Vocabulary is still the major problem (especially remembering both verb stems). No problems with grammar so far, but it's only chapter 3 so I'll see what comes next.
I'm definitely aiming for the basic Kurdish survival level ;-) I know how to say I'm thirsty/hungry (Ez tî me. / Ez birçî me.) and also know some food (nan - bread, penîr - cheese, sêv - apple, mûz - banana, hinar - pomegranate, porteqal - orange, goşt - meat) and beverage (av - water, çay - tea (obviously) and qehwe - coffee). So I only need to find out some more survival phrases like: I'm tired. / I'm sick. / Help me please. / Do you speak German/English/French? (I think I'll learn the last one in chapter 3).

hrhenry wrote:
My studying is going OK, but my log entries are suffering.

Yup, mine too.

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version