96 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 89 of 96
05 December 2012 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Tarvos, do you really want somebody to respond? ;)))

Actually, yeah, I would like to know why you are randomly denigrating people for no
reason? If they want to be vintage and buy Apple products and be elitist, if that is
their idea of life, let them be. As if that is an automatic disqualifier for being a
human...

Like Solfrid said, my idea of learning Swedish is listening to Sofia Karlsson on repeat,
nice and mellow folk music. That's fun and useful.

Edited by tarvos on 05 December 2012 at 2:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5035 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 90 of 96
05 December 2012 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
@tarvos: you start the name calling, and we are denigrating people?
Anyway, I'm not sure what a hipster really is, I guess definitions are too mainstream ;))

About fun, well, of course everyone does different things for fun, but I don't think the concept is so different for everyone... To be more precise about what I mean, I immensely enjoy watching documentaries, and I'm re-reading for the umpteenth time a series of novels that played a very important role in shaping my view of the world. I actually find myself on the verge of tears way more times than I laugh whenever I read them. No matter how enjoyable these things are (for me, a whole lot), I would hardly call them 'fun'.

What I'm talking about is the increasingly popular view (even among teachers, how sad is that?) that if it's educational it can't be fun, that 'learning' and 'fun' are somehow opposites -- and thus there's this need to add 'fun' to learning, too often drowning any learning in such quests for fun... when it should have been there all along.

While of course incompetent teachers can take the fun out of learning (and I've had plenty of those, especially at the Uni where I was most vulnerable to them), whenever I hear talk about 'fun and learning' I can't help but make that connection and ask myself if anyone should embark in studying something when they actually dislike learning or making any effort for starters (I've had plenty of horrible students as well -- slackness often defeats student and teacher as easily as it defeats the student alone, and then there's two victims of it).

OK, summing it up... the way I see it, 'fun' won't help your learning a bit if you don't find learning a bit fun in the first place.

@Cristina: I'm really sorry you had this Frau Kräuterhexe. As my Linear algebra teacher (the best I've ever had) often quoted, 'don't confuse Math for those who show it to you; she'll never disappoint you'. I was puzzled for a year until I met the types he was referring to, in spades. Let's better forget about them all... :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 91 of 96
05 December 2012 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Ok, Tecktight , Mrwarper has convinced me. Do not try to have fun, go for the boring stuff in stead. :-)

And can anyone tell me the definition of a hipster? For an old lady like me it sounds like someone with a hip
replacement :-)

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6965 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 92 of 96
05 December 2012 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
The lede of the article on Wikipedia seems fairly accurate.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5035 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 93 of 96
05 December 2012 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Oh, Cristina, you just like being silly, don't you? ;)

OMG I just can't believe how right I was about our friends -- See hipster@UrbanDictionary.com, 'definition' #2. XD

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 94 of 96
05 December 2012 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
@mrwarper: You know I do :-)

Well, at least I now know I am not a hipster - not that I ever thought I was.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 95 of 96
29 December 2012 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
@Tecktight: Will you just write a new introduction here, and rename your log, or do you want to make a brand new thread for 2013?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4653 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 96 of 96
10 March 2013 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Hey tecktight,

are you still participating in the TAC? We're together on Team MIR, but it seems you haven't even created a log yet. Would be nice to hear from you, if you're studying Russian right now.

Привет!

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version