Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 29
28 January 2012 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Mmm. I'll join your procrastination club. Lots and lots of experience :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4556 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Russian, Latin, French

Message 18 of 29
29 January 2012 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
Week 4
Focus:

Well, now I decided to place English alongside German and Russian in this TAC. I'm always watching/reading something in English, so it should count as study time. My goals:
-Acquire a more comprehensive vocab, reach speaking fluency (after two years without any pratice, I completely butchered any good English I might have had. Cheers to me)
-Watch an episode of House and a movie without subtitle and just miss 3 or less words. (I’ve already done it with Supernatural and I understood more than 90%, but I found House to be the hardest to get it. Blame on the medical terms I'm still not used to)    
-Improve my writing, that’s what Lang-8 is for. I’ll write one or two reviews per week of an episode or movie I’ve watched. Or about a book I've read.

Enough said, let’s go to the weekly hours:

Russian
More MT, and review of previous Princeton lessons

Total: ~5,2h

German
MT, MT, MT… And a couple of Assimil lessons.

Total: ~2,46h

English
~40min listening to an awesome podcast of real English conversation. It will last till the end of the year, once I must spend one week listening to the lessons on each set.
~1,5h hours of concentration watching Prison Break with English subtitles. I won’t count in the other tv series since I wasn’t watching them with English subtitles.
~1h hour of concentration watching Out of Sight.
Total: ~3h

Weekly Total: ~10,83h

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4556 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 

Message 19 of 29
30 January 2012 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
I just watched Bug's Life in Russian. I picked this movie because I used to watch it almost everyday when I was little. Oh, good childhood memories <333

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4556 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 

Message 20 of 29
31 January 2012 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
News!

First one: I'll probably join a German course next semester (yay!), and the teachers are natives, that's the reason I'm actually excited about the idea of attending a regular course. The thing is, I want to be placed in the A2 class (I'll take a test to determinate my level). That means my study plans until then must be rearranged. Less Russian, more German. I believe I can reach A2 with intensive study...

Second one: I arranged my university schedule today and I'll have no classes on Fridays! <3 More time to devote on languages. I love when real life cooperate with me.

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4556 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 

Message 21 of 29
13 February 2012 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
Well, just passing by to say that I wasn't swollen by a scary black hole! Seriously, these past two weeks were a complete mess.
I like to study between 6-10pm, when I feel more active and the day is not so hot. But two weeks ago I had to take driving classes right at this time, and geez, I hated it. Ok, not all the classes... Well, now I have to take the practical ones, but they're just one hour a day, I'll get back to my routine.

Soooo, I have an annoucement to make, which is, I'm aborting the 6WC Finnish Mission =/
I'm so excited about improving my German and dealing with the urge to spend more time on Russian that no room was left to Finnish. (And it's not like its vocab is easy to stick on my head, though)
Anyway, I won't put it aside forever. I really liked the grammar and the 425632 cases are actually pretty interesting.

The suffix "ko" is a real wonder :D
"Puhutko Suomea?" -> "Do you speak Finnish?" Look how many words we save.
Well, just first impressions here. Lovely, eikö se ole? :)

That said, I'll keep studying German for the 6WC.

Edited by Isabliss_27 on 13 February 2012 at 7:50pm

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4556 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 

Message 22 of 29
30 March 2012 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
A quick update to say I'm still here.
Well, after a little break in my studies last month I'm trying to recover the time lost. I made a progress with English. I've been reading and writing down new vocab, and this month I've got ~250 new words. I'm still checking out the new vocab I got while reading the Hunger Games trilogy. Besides that, I'm watching some tv series episodes without subtitles. So far the easiest for me to understand was Charmed.
As for Russian, I'm doing a review of MT Advanced, and I'll continue with Princeton and master the first two lessons of Modern Russian.
For while, my plan for German is keep going with Assimil and review MT.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 23 of 29
20 April 2012 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
How are you doing, Isabliss. Any Russian going on?

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4556 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 

Message 24 of 29
18 June 2012 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
*weeping the dust*
Almost two months away.
I'll try not to vanish for so long again.
After my hiatus, I'm now reviewing some stuff to move on, for both Russian and German. The things is, I stopped keeping track of study hours and now I get to study when I feel like it, on completely random moments or not. It has been pretty nice.

German: Neglected, poor thing. But listening to Rammstein is a constant in my life so I don't feel that guilt.

Russian: Songs, songs, songs. Podcasts and texts. This week is just a warm-up. I'm increasing my vocab slowly.

English: I've been watching series and films with subs in English or no subs at all (I've found the series Ringer and The Walking Dead the easiest ones to understand without subtitle). I've been also reading, and doing some grammar exercises. They're not that boring, actually.

Well, that's it for now.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version