United States
Joined 4529 days ago

64 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 36
27 February 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for that Kerrie, I was starting to get confused. And I'll keep my eyes out b/c i think they would be great books to have in other languages as well. Can you tell I'm a bit of a HP geek? ;-)

ETA: How do you use them to learn? And at what point in your studies?

Edited by blackdahlia on 27 February 2012 at 6:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5195 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 26 of 36
27 February 2012 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
I'm a big HP geek, too. I think I have close to 100 of them, in various languages. I have a list somewhere on an old log, but it's not up-to-date with my collection. LOL

As far as when and how to use them for studying, I suppose it would vary a lot depending on who you ask. I have LR'd the first one in Spanish a few times, and "just" read it once. I could probably tell the story along with the narrator guy without the book. =)

I can follow the French with the audio and the book, and I can get most of it, but I think that's more because I'm familiar with the story from the Spanish version, because my French is not that good.

I'm going to start LRing it in Italian once I'm done with the Michel Thomas courses, hopefully in the next week or two. I'm going to make a quick run through the Living Language Ultimate Italian to catch any new grammar points, but with my background in Spanish and French, I think LRing that will be more effective than "studying" from textbook type materials, for me.

Of course, I look up any words I don't understand - at least the ones that are recurring, or if it impedes my understanding.

But this is a completely different approach than I'd take with German. Once I get a little more comfortable with German grammar, I will probably be looking up every other word. =)

blackdahlia
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4529 days ago

64 posts - 66 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 36
17 May 2012 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
It's been a while since I updated. Some other life issues came up so French had to take a backseat. I am kicking myself as I should be almost finished with French with Ease in a couple weeks. But oh well, I am adjusting my target dates.

After French with Ease, I'll go and do French without Toil, since I think it will really help to cement the lessons that I learned the first go round. And make myself Pimsleur II. I had to stop, i was getting PImselur burnout for a while there.

blackdahlia
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4529 days ago

64 posts - 66 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 36
21 May 2012 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
I had a good week language wise.

Spent 4.25 hours on Assimil and some uncounted time watching an episode of Bref and examining FSI Phonology.

I'm figuring out how to get the most out of the Assimil. I've added a few more repetitions to improve my pronunciation for the passive phase.

And for the active, I make 3 passes: 1) looking at the English and translating 2) playing the audio to check/correct/fill in words where possible 3) looking at the French text for a final comparison.

Then I read the notes again. It's making me think and giving me a good idea of what I need to work on.

I'm also looking at my copy of Le Petit Prince. I'll start that once I finish the passive wave. I'd really like to switch things up and do some more reading. I'm looking at old textbooks and easy readers and will probably try my hand at the first Harry Potter over the winter holidays.

blackdahlia
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4529 days ago

64 posts - 66 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 36
22 May 2012 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Woo hoo, I found some Harry Potter on ebay, so i got the first 4 coming and hopefully the I will get the last three as well.

Side note: I have to say I'm rather annoyed that it seems like they only did audiobooks for the first 4 books. Not happy about that

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5195 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 30 of 36
22 May 2012 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
By the time you get through the first four, you won't need the audiobooks anyways. =)

I have been watching the movies and reading the books in French for the past few weeks, because of the Super Challenge (and the 6WC). I watched the movie first with English audio and French subtitles, then a second time with French audio and English subtitles. (I get confused having French subs and dub, since they don't always match.)

Then I went back to the book, and it was amazing how much more I understood. So by the time you get through book four, you won't need the audio for them. =)

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4689 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 31 of 36
22 May 2012 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
I never thought about watching the movie in French, or with French subtitles, to help
with reading the book - that's a great idea.

blackdahlia
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4529 days ago

64 posts - 66 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 36
23 May 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the suggestion Kerrie! I'll give it a try.

I came across the pdfs a little while ago and scanned through them reading random passages and I was surprised how much I understood. Although, I think it's probably more due to the fact that I've read the English books so many times than any amazing French ability. :) Still its encouraging!

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version