United States
Joined 4518 days ago

64 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 36
24 May 2012 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
So I finally started paying attention to this Super Challenge that everyone was going on about and decided to sign up. I doubt that I will complete (I signed up for a half term), especially with time constraints, but I know I need to add in reading on a regular basis so this will help me stick to it.

Plus I have a lot of French movies in my DVR that I've been meaning to watch, so this will force me to move through the queue.

So now the only question is which book first? Le Petit Prince or Harry Potter? Decisions, decisions!
2 persons have voted this message useful

blackdahlia
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4518 days ago

64 posts - 66 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 34 of 36
28 May 2012 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
So this week was a little bit low on time. I logged about 3 hours, mostly with Assimil. Although I did reformat the pdf for HP1 and spend some time reading it. Thius was rather slow since I had to look up a lot of words and I need to figure out how much time to spend just reading and how much studying the text (structure grammar, etc). Of course, maybe for the first book at least, I need to just focus on using this to increase my vocab and just focus on the story.

I also decided that I hate the tiny font they use in dictionaries. Really? Do they know how grating that is on the eyes?

I also logged a few minutes in German. I was looking at Deutch Welle and I couldn't resist playing a few exercises. I'm excited to get started, but holding off. I realized I'm kinda having a materials overload for French

Edited by blackdahlia on 28 May 2012 at 6:01am

1 person has voted this message useful

blackdahlia
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4518 days ago

64 posts - 66 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 36
20 August 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Wow it's been a long time since I last logged. I had some working time and some down time (sigh). I think I got really sick of Assimil for a while.

Right now I'm working through French In Action. I found the audio and the first workbook, so I did lesson 2 Saturday and Sunday. I'm unsure if I'm going to focus all of my attention on FIA for a while or include Assimil. I probably will have to go back over some of the Assimil lessons.

blackdahlia
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4518 days ago

64 posts - 66 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 36
28 December 2013 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
Continuing the log for 2014. Focus on French. Adding in some German activities when I can, mainly to get the feel of the language before I delve into serious study.

ETA my plan

French

I won't have access to my materials until after the start of the year. So I figure I'll use this time for some online activities & review. I've been working my way through BBC's Talk French videos. Basic, but nice and good to get my ear tuned back in to the language.

So this year I have/plan to use

- FIA. The complete series. This will be my primary method.
- Assimil French with Ease. I really do like the series and would like to use it, but it might be too much right now. We'll see if I can fit it in.
- BBC Ma France. I was going to do this one before I started FIA, but I'm thinking might be better to listen to here and there. Maybe watch a video on the days when I have class.
- Native materials. Books & readers (I'm finding a lot on Kindle) and podcasts & videos (I'm considering a subscription to yabla) to do this.

My biggest goal is finding a method that will allow me to progress and be consistent. I've already decided that I'm only doing lessons on the days I don't have late classes, so there will be two days a week without formal language studies

German

My plan for German is simple. I will use introductory materials that I can mostly listen to, maybe a lesson a day at work or on breaks. I think I will be using DW for this since they have great resources. Also the BBC Talk German

Edited by blackdahlia on 28 December 2013 at 10:14am

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version