Groupie
United States
Joined 4731 days ago

78 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Sámi

Message 9 of 40
01 January 2012 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Graeme! So far I have lacked discipline. But laoshu50500 and Huliganov on YouTube language learning both recommend self-discipline. Rather than grammars, I think discipline is my obstacle.

Hribecek, I would say our mindset is a bit different than a typical, average American mindset. (just asked and my kids agree) Many friends mention similarities in worldview with Native American culture but I can say my extended family strongly identify with Inupiat art, food, culture and way of thinking. I also see similarities with the way we look at life in the Asian (Filipino or Korean) families we know.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Kafea
Groupie
United States
Joined 4731 days ago

78 posts - 98 votes 

Message 10 of 40
02 January 2012 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
I dug out the Gulahalan notebook, located where I am and dug in again. Found a lot of words to add to my dictionary.
Worked on Russian last night and found my books and put them in one place. I intended to read some phrases while falling asleep but accidentally stayed up for 2 hours. However, the words are beginning to stick. And I found my Russian notebook when I found my Sámigiella notebook and Gulahalan notebook.
Also today I worked on Swedish. It is necessary as Gulahalan uses Swedish as an intermediary language. This computer will not add keyboards but Google Translate gives you a keyboard, which is a lot faster than the old way of using Alt + numbers. Sometimes the printer will not recognize extra letters and prints boxes...arg!

Everything must be printed out or hand copied so review will be possible, or helping others will be possible, later. I found practice exercises and after finishing Gulahalan 1 will go back and look at a packet of practice that was given to me before. And I will try Oahpas! games again which were too hard last time I tried.

Lack of discipline in the past has cost me progress.

1 person has voted this message useful

Kafea
Groupie
United States
Joined 4731 days ago

78 posts - 98 votes 

Message 11 of 40
02 January 2012 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
There is an orange word "Microtag" in each message. I'm not sure what that is for?

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5055 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 12 of 40
02 January 2012 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
As far as I understood it is for marking the language(s) which the post is in.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5924 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 13 of 40
02 January 2012 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Kafea wrote:

Lack of discipline in the past has cost me progress.

Hey, well this year, just don't stop. Don't stop no matter what!

I think I sympathize with what you're doing here, because I'm also trying to learn languages that my parents knew but didn't pass down, Finnish and Japanese.   I think this experience is maybe a little bit different than the typical poster on this BBS, who studies language because they like the culture or wants to become a polyglot.

Kafea
Groupie
United States
Joined 4731 days ago

78 posts - 98 votes 

Message 14 of 40
04 January 2012 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
I've spent at least 2 hours each day on languages. First I am working on my Gulahalan 1 notebook, and contacted them about getting a book mailed to me with again no reply. It was perhaps an old webpage or an old email, or they are on vacation.

There are many new words so I am going to get to Gulahalan 1, Boddu 10. I shall then have it in English, Saami, Swedish and Norwegian as I am copying all text in all 4 languages. Then I shall put all words into my dictionary. After that, I shall concentrate on learning Boddu 1-10, and will go to the website and test myself before moving on to Gulahalan 2. And of course I will do whatever Chung has come up with. A friend just challenged me to quit dabbling and work on achieving something. If she can learn 3 languages, certainly I could work harder at it.

With lesser intensity, less time commitment but equal fervor I will do Teach Yourself Swedish and the Russian alphabet and grammar. My children are doing German so of course I am joining them, and they are working on Korean alphabet so they can read the cans on the international aisle of the grocery store. We have been eating kimchi soup, canned fruits, and watching Korean dramas with the subtitles on.

Family is still giving me grief over the false belief that one can only learn one language at a time, and upon reaching fluency may start another. My husband spoke Dutch, Tagalog, and strange English by age 5 so he should know that people are capable of more. Also I read aloud a short story about a blacksmith who self-taught (during lunch and supper) more than 10 languages and became a corporate ambassador of sorts. Learning one at a time is more focused, but one only needs passion and discipline to do more, isn't that correct? Besides, I am doing this for myself. Does a painter limit himself to one canvas at a time? Is a quilter working on more than one quilt at a time? Can't one have more than one friend at a time, or more than one child? I think of learning multiple languages as having 2 children and 2 pets. The children get more attention and resources and the pets get only a small amount, yet none are neglected. The trick is not to neglect anything.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6955 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 15 of 40
04 January 2012 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Kafea wrote:
I've spent at least 2 hours each day on languages. First I am working on my Gulahalan 1 notebook, and contacted them about getting a book mailed to me with again no reply. It was perhaps an old webpage or an old email, or they are on vacation.

If you're still having problems getting the textbooks for Gulahalan (although it seems that you already have Gulahalan 1's book), try ordering it from Sami Duodji in Finland. It sells the Finnish versions of Volumes 1 and 2 for 8 and 12 Euros respectively. I have no idea how much the shipping costs are, though.

Kafea wrote:
There are many new words so I am going to get to Gulahalan 1, Boddu 10. I shall then have it in English, Saami, Swedish and Norwegian as I am copying all text in all 4 languages. Then I shall put all words into my dictionary. After that, I shall concentrate on learning Boddu 1-10, and will go to the website and test myself before moving on to Gulahalan 2. And of course I will do whatever Chung has come up with. A friend just challenged me to quit dabbling and work on achieving something. If she can learn 3 languages, certainly I could work harder at it.

With lesser intensity, less time commitment but equal fervor I will do Teach Yourself Swedish and the Russian alphabet and grammar. My children are doing German so of course I am joining them, and they are working on Korean alphabet so they can read the cans on the international aisle of the grocery store. We have been eating kimchi soup, canned fruits, and watching Korean dramas with the subtitles on.

Family is still giving me grief over the false belief that one can only learn one language at a time, and upon reaching fluency may start another. My husband spoke Dutch, Tagalog, and strange English by age 5 so he should know that people are capable of more. Also I read aloud a short story about a blacksmith who self-taught (during lunch and supper) more than 10 languages and became a corporate ambassador of sorts. Learning one at a time is more focused, but one only needs passion and discipline to do more, isn't that correct? Besides, I am doing this for myself. Does a painter limit himself to one canvas at a time? Is a quilter working on more than one quilt at a time? Can't one have more than one friend at a time, or more than one child? I think of learning multiple languages as having 2 children and 2 pets. The children get more attention and resources and the pets get only a small amount, yet none are neglected. The trick is not to neglect anything.

I've been thinking about this lately as some days I would prefer to focus on one language indefinitely rather than alternate between Finnish and Northern Saami. As I get deeper in Davvin 2, I'm having a tougher time recognizing words in Northern Saami these days even though it turns out that they had already been introduced only one or two chapters before. On the other hand, I like alternating since I don't get bored doing stuff for the same language day after day.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Kafea
Groupie
United States
Joined 4731 days ago

78 posts - 98 votes 

Message 16 of 40
05 January 2012 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
It is a good idea to buy Gulahalan 1, but I can't read Finnish and don't need to add any more languages yet. I could use a Norwegian one but would prefer it in Swedish since I want to concentrate on Swedish rather than switch to Norwegian. I dabbled in Norwegian one winter, and it came in handy during tourist season where I actually eavesdropped on people I could understand, but it would be better to be conversant in Swedish.

After another family discussion about too many languages, I guess we should finish the semester to get a grade in Korean and then just stick with German so they can make some progress. My Swiss friend comes to converse, and has loaned us some games. Now my husband wants to learn with them/us, so it will be easier I guess for them to stick with one.

Back to Gulahalan. I am doing the online version
http://www4.ur.se/gulahalan/
Plus Talk Now! Saami
and Talk Now! Vocabulary Builder Saami
and using a word list Davvisámigiella to English, to which I am adding every word I come across and have made a companion list transferring all words English - to- Davvisámigiella. This has been a labor of love, and my goal is to have the print shop publish both for me when I have finished. Or maybe I'll never finished and have to keep printing new versions as I keep adding.
I also have a huge pile of websites.

To hear Saami radio
http://www.nrk.no/sapmi/   

Edited by Kafea on 05 January 2012 at 1:28am

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version