Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 9 of 20
03 January 2012 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
There is also a Tae Kim grammar app, in case you don't already know about it. I think it is free. I have it on my iphone. It's easier than carrying around a bunch of books when I need grammar help on the go. It's fairly elementary, but still very good for a free app, and it will give you most of the stuff that is needed for beginner - low intermediate in a very simple form. I don't think it has sound files, just grammar.

1 person has voted this message useful

sundance
United States
Joined 4526 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 10 of 20
03 January 2012 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
I have the Tae Kim grammar app for the iPad and also recommend it. The same developers created an app for learning the kana and some kanji, which I also downloaded. The kana has audio, too.

Congrats on the 100 kanji! Your new year is off to a good start.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 11 of 20
05 January 2012 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
Welcome, ErwinHiggs! Your log sounds promising and very passionate, and I'll definitely be following it
enthusiastically! I'm also working my way through Heisig, so let's cheer each other on! Even though some of
his stories aren't all that good, I still think his book's the holy grail of kanji learning :)

Best of luck!

ErwinHiggs
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4525 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: French*, English

Message 12 of 20
05 January 2012 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
Thanks sundance!
I remember downloading it a few months back, I should look up for it again.

Anyway, I've slowed things down a bit in the last few days, averaging about 30 kanji a
day to get to 200 today. I feel like this is the right pace, as it really gives time to
let every story and possible hooks sink in. For the first 160 kanji, I've had a
retention rate of 95% for first-time card which seems fairly reasonnable. Even if I
found a card easy, I tend to rate it as hard just to be sure that it wasn't just my
short-term memory working and that the story really sank in. This way, I get a review
the next day and then can rate it as easy.

Maybe this can help some people with RtK but I found that the best way to get through
the book is to have a notepad where you actually write the kanji, the meaning, the
stroke order, and your personnal story. Moreover, at the end of a lesson, do a review
by writing the keywords and then trying to remember all your stories. This way, you can
be sure you can move on to the next.

At this pace, I expect to finish RtK 1 in the first week or two or March. From this
point on, I'll probably start to learn vocabulary more extensively and will look at a
few kanji from RtK 3 once in a while.

I've also found Naruto Shippuden which is a good help to get used to the Japanese
sound. Not only that, but you also start to pick up pattern in the sentences which will
probably help later on when I'll be studying the structure of sentence.

sundance
United States
Joined 4526 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 13 of 20
06 January 2012 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
That's great that you're using Naruto Shippuden to help with learning the sounds! I just got Darker than Black for the same purposes. I don't know if I'll find any useful vocabulary, but it's a fun way to add more Japanese to my schedule.

Are you writing down any vocabulary or sentence patterns that stand out from Naruto Shippuden? I'm trying to find ways to make my anime watching more scholarly!

I like your tip about using RtK. I can see where it helps to actually handwrite out everything.Somehow things stick in the brain better.

Edited by sundance on 08 January 2012 at 12:39am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 14 of 20
07 January 2012 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
Merci pour le lien!! C'est possible de voir les episodes avec sous-titres japonais? Any scripts available anywhere? I could pick out words better if I could see the kanji!

edit: typos

Edited by Sunja on 07 January 2012 at 6:02pm

ErwinHiggs
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4525 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: French*, English

Message 15 of 20
08 January 2012 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
I'll look up Darker than Black! Is it a good serie? As for Naruto, I haven't found any
website or torrents offering both the Japanese dubs and sub. However, you can still
pick up some words now and then. I'll probably look again in the near future, and if I
find a Japanese sub, I'll link it in your log. Even without any sub, you still get some
important speech elements (it seems like the sound for 'u' is often pronounced so fast
that you barely know it's there)

I still haven't really started to write out sentence patterns, as I'm still learning
the Kana, but I'll probably be done with it in the next week or so, and I should start
trying to write common words (Too lazy to switch my keyboard to jap, but basic words
like sensei, arigatou) and some particles like -mas -desu. Also, I'm still focusing
most of my time on Heisig's RtK and will be able to do even more so with college
starting monday. I've already laid ahead the foundation of my study plan in order to
incorporate Japanese as much as I could.

And btw, that was quite some nice french there Sunja! Il est temps d'aller lire ton
journal!

Edited by ErwinHiggs on 08 January 2012 at 8:24am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 16 of 20
08 January 2012 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
I found out how to easily switch between languages when typing (assuming you've already installed them).

To switch languages, use alt + shift.

To switch within Japanese (ie between hiragana, katakana, romaji), use alt + the key under the escape key (it has different symbols depending which keyboard you use, but the location should be the same).

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version