sundance
United States
Joined 4526 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 17 of 20
08 January 2012 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
I've only watched a few episodes so far, but I find Darker than Black addicting. It's very atmospheric and plots don't seem to be completely tied up like typical U.S. series, but I like that about it.

Strangely I have been able to recognize a few words here and there, which I didn't think I would considering the series is about government conspiracies and assassins. Not your typical vocabulary in beginning Japanese courses!

When I'm done I will check out Naruto.
1 person has voted this message useful

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 18 of 20
12 January 2012 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
Any scripts available anywhere? I could pick out words better if I could see the kanji!

Here you are.

sundance wrote:
Are you writing down any vocabulary or sentence patterns that stand out from Naruto Shippuden? I'm trying to find ways to make my anime watching more scholarly!

Well, I split out any sentence that stands out from Death Note, so you might be interested, even if it's not Naruto Shippuuden. This way, I guess my anime watching became more scholarly (at least I hope so). Here's a sample. Any opinion would be appreciated about it.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 19 of 20
13 January 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with Japanese. It sounds like you're off to a great start and you're hitting the Kanji up right away
with RTK which I couldn't recommend more. I wish I had the intelligence to start with it when I started
Japanese. Since you're using Anki I would suggest getting someone's Heisig deck that includes stories.
Heisig's stories are ok although some are a bit scholarly and abstract which I found odd since he says to
avoid the abstract but whatever. The big reason I would suggest getting a deck with stories filled in is that
later Heisig doesn't give you any stories, and even if you're making your own it's nice to look at someone
else's story to give you ideas for your own.

I'm a big fan of Naruto. I started with the 1st series and now I'm watching Shippoden. I haven't found any
Japanese shows that actually have Japanese subs - at least available in the States. I suppose if you were to
import DVD's from Japan then you could probably get them but that sounds expensive so I haven't tried it.
But you can read Japanese Manga online for free. I'm not sure how legal it is but there's plenty of websites
with it and it's not hard to find. The anime adaptions follow the manga originals very closely and a lot of the
dialogue is exactly the same.

btw your English was so natural I did a double take when someone talked about Heisig with French stories.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 20 of 20
03 March 2012 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
Sunja wrote:
Any scripts available anywhere? I could pick out words
better if I could see the kanji!

Here you are.

sundance wrote:
Are you writing down any vocabulary or sentence patterns that stand
out from Naruto Shippuden? I'm trying to find ways to make my anime watching more
scholarly!

Well, I split out any sentence that stands out from Death Note, so you might be
interested, even if it's not Naruto Shippuuden. This way, I guess my anime watching
became more scholarly (at least I hope so). 8e9n4wjhd6jwa">Here's a sample. Any opinion would be appreciated about it.

Death Note is awesome. Really awesome. I watched it all in one sitting. Yeah, I cried
at the end, but it's a great series. You should definitely check it out.

Thanks for the link, Takato.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version