Joined 5899 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 73 of 108
29 August 2012 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 2952
Hours Studied = 30 (Total: 400)

Woohoo, I've reached the 400 hour mark! It would be more if I were to count bedtime reading and conversations. But it's looking highly unlikely I'll get to the wildly optimistic 1000 hours of study I had planned for this year.

I enjoyed Irena's pierogis, for some reason these particular ones were called Russian pierogis. They were filled with soft cheese, potato, onion and bacon (boczek). There was a massive amount to get through, and I'm still recovering.
Another student, Basia, has supplied me with dozens of packets of Budyń, a custard-like pudding made using hot milk. It reminds me of the quick-n-easy pudding 'Angel Delight' popular in Britain in my childhood.

Yesterday I went to see Grażyna and had a good converstion about food, health problems (my back in particular) and gardening. We focussed on accuracy and spent nearly 30 minutes on just 2 or 3 sentences. Grażyna then practised her English and we composed a letter to The Times newspaper concerning the obituary of Stanisław Lem pointing out that he was a Polish writer (not 'Soviet'). She will be visiting her mother in Wrocław next week and has promised to buy me one of Lem's books while she's there.

Words of the Week
Bagno = 'marsh', 'bog', 'swamp'.
Popiół = 'ash' (from burning something).
Hipoteka = 'mortgage'.
Pomachać Per. = 'to wave' (a hand etc.).
Golić się Imp. = 'to shave' (oneself).

1 person has voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4445 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 74 of 108
29 August 2012 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Was the cheese in the pierogi white? If yes, then it's commonly called 'biały ser' (=white cheese) in Polish, in contrast to the normal (eg. Swiss) cheese, which is called 'żółty ser' (=yellow cheese).

As to why these particular pierogi are called 'ruskie' (=Russian), I have no idea. Most probably, they were introduced by the Russians :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5899 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 75 of 108
29 August 2012 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Cześć Kasia,
Tak, był biały ser.

Theodisce
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5680 days ago

127 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Czech, French, English, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Greek, Portuguese

Message 76 of 108
30 August 2012 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
The word "ruskie" is more likely to mean "Ruthenian" than "Russian" when talking about pierogi. The word "ruski" is, at least in contemporary usage, an ethnic slur for a Russian person. My guess is that Polish cuisine adapted pierogi from East Slavs living in the Polish-Lithuanian state.   

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5899 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 77 of 108
07 September 2012 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 2979
Hours Studied = 15 (Total: 415)

I couldn't resist buying The Polish Way 'A Thousand-year History of the Poles and their Culture' by Adam Zamoyski. I only paid a couple of quid for it, so it was too-good a bargain to miss. Even just dipping into the book has revealed some fascinating insights (for example the evolution of Polish-Russian relations). I'm looking forward to reading it, and it will give me some good conversation starters with my language partners.

I'm still suffering a little Polish Burn-out and can't face anything heavily grammatical at the moment. So I've done a few more units on Busuu, Anki (of course, although I'm getting fed up with the backlogs I've made for myself) and listening to stuff on ipla.

I've had severe wanderlust cravings this week. The idea of soaking my brain in something new and fresh is so tempting! I know there's been a lot of discussion about whether to learn more than one language at a time, but there is an argument put forward by Steve Kaufman On this Video that learning 2 languages simultaneously is beneficial to each. That, depending which languages, there is a synergistic effect brought about through novelty.
If I could just decide what other language to pick I might introduce it at a low level now.

Words of the Week
Smażyć / Usmażyć - 'to fry' (eggs, onions etc. but also electrical equipment)
Smoczek - 'dummy' (for babies) / 'teat' (on bottles)
Trawienie - 'digestion'. Układ trawienny = the digestive system
Tytoń - 'tobacco'
Rozdawać / Rozdać - 'to distribute', 'hand out' (e.g leaflets) + 'deal' (cards)

Edited by Mooby on 07 September 2012 at 7:06pm

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5899 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 78 of 108
08 September 2012 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
My pronunciation is improving slowly. I always read my books outloud and repeat things when I get the chance. Long and difficult words don't freak me out these days, but if it's totally unfamiliar there's always a little hesitaion in my voice. Or I try too hard and the pronunciation just isn't smooth enough.

I still marvel, when listening to songs, at the smooth transition of the words. Here's an example in this song by the R&B singer Mrozu entitled

Korzenie ('Roots').

[Nice song too]

Edited by Mooby on 08 September 2012 at 11:09pm

Theodisce
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5680 days ago

127 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Czech, French, English, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Greek, Portuguese

Message 79 of 108
13 September 2012 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:
Anki = 2979

I'm still suffering a little Polish Burn-out and can't face anything heavily grammatical at the moment. So I've done a few more units on Busuu, Anki (of course, although I'm getting fed up with the backlogs I've made for myself) and listening to stuff on ipla.

I've had severe wanderlust cravings this week. The idea of soaking my brain in something new and fresh is so tempting! I know there's been a lot of discussion about whether to learn more than one language at a time, but there is an argument put forward by Steve Kaufman On this Video that learning 2 languages simultaneously is beneficial to each. That, depending which languages, there is a synergistic effect brought about through novelty.
If I could just decide what other language to pick I might introduce it at a low level now.

Starting another Slavic language could allow you to use in a different way the large amount of Polish you've absorbed. It is also worth noticing that German rules of word formation tend to resemble the rules used in Slavic languages a lot.

Are you considering any specific language/language family?

Edited by Theodisce on 13 September 2012 at 12:06pm

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5899 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 80 of 108
13 September 2012 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
Theodisce wrote:

Starting another Slavic language could allow you to use in a different way the large amount of Polish you've absorbed. It is also worth noticing that German rules of word formation tend to resemble the rules used in Slavic languages a lot.

Are you considering any specific language/language family?

Well, I'm attracted to quite a number of languages, principally:
   - Latvian
   - Lithuanian
   - French
   - Portuguese
   - Romanian
   - Albanian
   - Turkish
What attracts me to each of these varies, but includes an interest in the culture associated with the language, the way it sounds and the opportunity to speak with (and befriend) natives living in my country.

The first two have grammatical similarities with Polish, but much less vocabulary overlap than I was expecting.

I'm too indecisive to choose at the moment, and I'm not sure how another language would affect my Polish. Perhaps in a year's time when I feel that another language would not be a source of major confusion / distraction.
Sometimes I wrestle with choosing a similar language OR a contrasting language, either could be complementary.
I'm inclined to wait a wee while, and see what (and who) comes my way...let the language choose me.
As a matter of interest, which would you choose if you were in my shoes?

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version