Scotland
Joined 5899 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 105 of 108
21 December 2012 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Homogenik wrote:
I will join, I think I just need to think about my goals before I commit :)

Right, I'll add your name to the Team thread (before Mandarin lures you away).
Even a basic committment is enough for us...so welcome back!

Edited by Mooby on 21 December 2012 at 6:33pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5899 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 106 of 108
30 December 2012 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 

FINAL ENTRY + REVIEW

Anki = 3214
Hours Studied = 16 (Total: 546)

Here endeth the 2012 Log.
I re-read my first entry with a wry smile. Such expectations!
    1. I said I'd reach 3500 words. Not quite, but I'm pleased with the total I achieved.
    2. I said I'd put in 1000 hours of study. Nowhere near! But if I include the hours of conversations I've had plus all the bedtime reading I can add at least 74 more hours. Making my Grand Total = 620 hours. Not bad, but I can't help feeling a little disappointed.
    3. I said I'd hope to have reached B2 level. Somewhat delusional to say the least! I doubt I'm at B1 either, because my focus has been on vocabulary at the expense of everything else. Next year I must restore the balance.

Most Progress
- Vocabulary. I took my time to learn words well, especially verbs, by looking for examples of use, and consulting various dictionaries. Admittedly, not all the words I learned were particularly common or important. But I'd have to have learned the majority of them sooner or later if I want to get to basic fluency.
- Reading. My reading speed and reading comprehension have improved a lot. I can read most words, whether I know them or not, much more quickly and I can get the gist of most articles without too much bother.
- Pronunciation. My conversations with native Poles has been a real help here, plus listening to TV, radio and podcasts. Long words or sibilant-heavy words can trip me up, but overall it's been a good improvement.

Least Progress
- Grammar. I still haven't systematically studied enough grammar, or committed things like the declensions to memory. There has been progress, but not enough. Conseqently my output isn't great and I have to check declension tables all the time when writing, which really slows it down. I've just not done enough drills.
- Listening. This has improved, but too slowly. Simply because I haven't listened to enough material or not listened intensively enough. Although I can better distinguish words and sounds, I still suffer from PWSTS Syndrome ('Polish Words Sounds The Same' syndrome).
- Syntax. Part of the grammar again, but it's a big challenge for me to change from an English way of phrasing things into a Polish way(s). At the moment of saying or writing something, I'm still painfully uncertain of how to construct a well-rounded sentence.

WORD OF THE YEAR
My favourite word of 2012 is śrubokręt = 'screwdriver'.
I just like saying it!
shrew-bo-krent

This year has taught me that learning Polish takes longer than I had at first thought. It has shown me my weak points and things I tend to avoid doing, and thus has shown me where my focus needs to be in 2013.
I've made new Polish friends and had some great conversations. At times I've felt the wonderful sense of flying in Polish. When speaking becomes more and more effortless, when correct declensions and conjugations flow without interuption, when a turn-of-phrase or idiom is used in perfect timing. When I see my English feet leave the ground and find myself ascending into something called Polishness.
It's a great feeling. Almost as if I'm a little drunk.
I can't wait for more!

Dziękuję, do zobaczenia.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4965 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 107 of 108
30 December 2012 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
The thing that makes Polish so hard (and also so much fun) is that it is so different from English. There is
always something new and confusing! But you have made good progress this year and I look forward to
reading about your studies in 2013!

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4163 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 108 of 108
30 December 2012 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
I think sometimes when there is a lot to do/learn it ends up that we have to choose one thing and focus on it, even if it means other aspects fall behind. Although we like to think of levels in terms of one clear improvement to the next, one thing I've learned is that there are a lot of smaller steps in between. It sounds like you made good progress, so congratulations on a job well done. I'm looking forward to reading about your progress in 2013!

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version