Joined 5464 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 69
05 January 2012 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Splog wrote:
Yet I often hear many others on this forum saying that it is important to set realistic goals.

It's important to set realistic goals only if doing otherwise may lead to disillusionment and discouragement. If you know what you're doing and are a seasoned learner, who cares.

If your goals are not realistic, and hence not achievable, then they are not goals. They are false promises, to yourself (and more importantly) to others. This sets false expectations of what is achievable, so that followers themselves become disillusioned and discouraged in their own more honest achievements.
10 persons have voted this message useful

mikonai
Diglot
United States
weirdnamewriting.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4724 days ago

178 posts - 281 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Swahili, German

Message 10 of 69
05 January 2012 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
He appears to be one of the sort of people who can shoot for a virtually impossible
goal and be satisfied if he doesn't quite make it. You have to be difficult to
discourage.

Sometimes a person needs a realistic, if even on the high side of that, goal ("Try to
get to B2 in a year," maybe is one), but some people can -- and should -- shoot as high
as they can. For me, it would take the kind of mentality that if I don't actually
manage to hit my ultimate goal, well, gosh darnit I'm going to get as close as I can!

If you can pull off that sort of attitude you can make remarkable progress, even if you
don't get to C1 level with a language, B1 or B2 is a great start. I'll admit that I
have a hard time with something like that, so I wind up setting up a specific and
reachable target for myself and making up a fairly specific plan as I go, adjusting it
as circumstances change. But that's just what's more comfortable for me, and who knows
whether that's the best way to do it? It's possible I need to challenge myself and set
a ridiculous goal in a very short time period and push until it's over, and then take
stock of where I am and what I've gotten done.

I think it's a fine way to go about learning languages, but it takes the right
attitude. If you can't ward of discouragement any other way, a more realistic goal may
be what you need.
4 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6345 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 11 of 69
05 January 2012 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
He may end up revising his goals mid-way through his "mission", as he's done with other
missions.

Like he did with Thai. What a joke. I personally haven't gotten anything useful from the guy, although I think it's a
good site for beginners to check out, especially those who need encouragement to speak.
3 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 12 of 69
05 January 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

Like he did with Thai. What a joke. I personally haven't gotten anything useful from the guy, although I think it's a
good site for beginners to check out, especially those who need encouragement to speak.

I'm not going to discourage the guy.

But there comes a point where you really have to look at past claims and performances, then weigh them accordingly with current claims. He's been at these missions for a while now.

R.
==
5 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 69
05 January 2012 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
mikonai wrote:
(...)but some people can -- and should -- shoot as high
as they can. For me, it would take the kind of mentality that if I don't actually
manage to hit my ultimate goal, well, gosh darnit I'm going to get as close as I can!

This Mandarin project aside, I think it's a bit like fanatic's "quickly but poorly" idea mentioned on the forum a couple of years ago. If I aim for 1000 new words in a week (or month) I'll probably fail (but still learn a few hundreds), while the one who aims for 100 will only learn 100.
8 persons have voted this message useful

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4968 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese, Swahili
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 14 of 69
05 January 2012 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
mikonai wrote:
(...)but some people can -- and should -- shoot
as high

This Mandarin project aside, I think it's a bit like fanatic's "quickly but poorly"
idea mentioned on the forum a couple of years ago. If I aim for 1000 new words in a
week (or month) I'll probably fail (but still learn a few hundreds), while the one who
aims for 100 will only learn 100.

Yes, but you're only committing these words to short term memory. It won't last. If you
learn only a hundred words. You have more time for stuff like grammar.

Anyways, I don't know what his definition of Mandarin fluency entails but mine includes
writing.

Edited by strikingstar on 05 January 2012 at 10:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 69
06 January 2012 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
It's not a question of short term memory (who are you to say that I will forget everything?), or how much time I could have spent on other language related activities. I'm not saying that fluent Mandarin in three months is achievable, but if you aim high, you'll probably work hard, while a student who aims low probably won't work as hard (that's my experience from other disciplines, especially music - the "lazy" musician aims low, and it'll take forever to learn even just a dozen of tunes in the same time the avid musician learns ten times more).

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 06 January 2012 at 12:12pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6024 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 16 of 69
06 January 2012 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
I do like Benny's methods . The fact that he goes in gangbusters and speaks nothing but his target language
is clearly very effective. I disagree with his disdain for didactic courses, I believe in the right context these
can be a very useful aid as well.

I think he has a reasonable shot at "spoken Mandarin".   I am curious to see how he does with the written
characters. 1500 in 3 months is a pretty lofty goal indeed!

I just began my own 6 month Mandarin challenge... Although I am trying to do it from the US, with a full time
job and family responsibilities. Benny has raised the bar for me. Game on Benny! You can see what I am
trying from my mainlymagyar blog. Which is essentially the same stuff I put on my mainly mandarin? log on
this site. After sprinting out of the gate I hit some major speed bumps with the holidays but Benny has
reinspired me to get cracking!,

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version