Language Learning Forum : Polyglots (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
69 messages over 9 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 9
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 65 of 69
08 January 2012 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
... why keep up with all these "No one can do it", "Your C1 is less than mine", etc, while we could be supportive, ask him about his methods and wish him "good luck"?

I would LOVE to see him explain his methods while he's going through them, whatever his language mission is. If he gave regular updates on his progress he might receive feedback to further improve.

I haven't seen them though, and truthfully I think it would hurt his business plan.

R.
==
6 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5864 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 66 of 69
08 January 2012 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:

...while we could be supportive, ask him about his methods and wish him "good luck"?
==

actually I think there isn't/aren't any structured method(s) per se but who knows.. maybe if you buy his guide.. wait a minute, I do have it and I'm still waiting for those unconventional language hacking tips.. well, maybe if you buy his new video course (who knows, maybe)
2 persons have voted this message useful

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5428 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 67 of 69
09 January 2012 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
@Splog No, you ARE being negative. I'm not talking down what people achieve in years, I'm just saying give me a chance to show that a different type of devotion (not 100% study based) and prioritising it over 3 months can yield interesting results, and you do nothing but poo-poo it.

@tmp011007 & @hrhenry
I've already said it so many times, but you both don't seem to read it; I will be giving a blow-by-blow update of absolutely everything I've done this first week in a blog post this week.

But I will not stick around this forum to share my progress here and talk in circles with people who dislike me when several welcome me with such downers. I'm really disappointed in this thread. It shows that you prefer discouragement and cynicism over giving me the benefit of the doubt and realizing that PERHAPS the ten years of experience learning languages counts for something, and I may actually know what I'm doing?

I shudder to think how you'd "help" a language learner who has no choice but to force his level up as quickly as he can and share his attempt to learn a language quicker than how you would do it. Not all language learners are learning out of love or interest. Some do it out of necessity, and all this "it will take years before you can speak" is not only wrong, it's damaging, and it's what causes so many expat communities to never really integrate.

Frankly I don't see any useful advice online or in books for expats or those with a need to learn quickly. It's all written for people who may be able to casually take their time. Even intensive courses in the country just intensively force the academic approach. THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE. You may call it arrogance that I think learning quicker than that is possible; I call it insanity that people aren't focusing on it more.

I see this attitude (despite love for languages) that it takes years before you can truly speak as encouraging those expats who end up living exclusively through English. There are millions of these around the world, and it really pisses me off, and I'm trying to use my blog as a platform to change this. And you are trying to maintain the status quo.

I see your cynicism, dressed up as "realism" and say you don't understand what I'm actually trying to do here, and putting me in your box of someone without time pressure. You are not in my situation, and do not have my outlook and approach, so you can NOT tell me what my limits are, and what the limits of those I'm trying to encourage are.

Don't tell me what I can't do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAsp4rn9QnM

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 68 of 69
09 January 2012 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
irishpolyglot wrote:

@tmp011007 & @hrhenry
I've already said it so many times, but you both don't seem to read it; I will be giving a blow-by-blow update of absolutely everything I've done this first week in a blog post this week.

I was actually talking about the remaining 11 weeks of your mission. You're normally pretty good about letting your readers know what you'll do at the beginning of each mission, then you move on to guest posts or other things until a completed mission video comes around.
Quote:

But I will not stick around this forum to share my progress here and talk in circles with people who dislike me when several welcome me with such downers. I'm really disappointed in this thread. It shows that you prefer discouragement and cynicism over giving me the benefit of the doubt and realizing that PERHAPS the ten years of experience learning languages counts for something, and I may actually know what I'm doing?

Sorry you choose not to stick around. Really. But it's a public forum, you're bound to get some criticism and questions. And there you go assuming no one has ever been in your position or has had your experiences again, much less knows what they're doing. Just because it's not been blogged about before doesn't mean someone else hasn't gone through your experiences. But I'll reiterate: most people are happy and interested in your blog. This information is helpful:
Quote:

Frankly I don't see any useful advice online or in books for expats or those with a need to learn quickly. It's all written for people who may be able to casually take their time. Even intensive courses in the country just intensively force the academic approach.

So, yes, please DO keep blogging.
Quote:

I see your cynicism, dressed up as "realism" and say you don't understand what I'm actually trying to do here, and putting me in your box of someone without time pressure.

I'm pretty sure everyone here understands what you're trying to do. Again, you're in a public forum - you have to expect that you will encounter differing opinions. You can either claim you're being attacked and try to shut them down, or you can continue discussing and interacting with them.

Your choice.

R.
==

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6174 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 69 of 69
09 January 2012 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
This horse has been beaten several times now and nothing new comes of it. Everyone has stated their
criticisms and counterarguments ad nauseum. Any future threads on the topic will be deleted or closed
without a warning
. This goes for Benny lovers as well as Benny haters.

Edited by newyorkeric on 09 January 2012 at 2:46am

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version