United Kingdom
Joined 4592 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 9 of 16
06 January 2012 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Maybe saying you need immersion is too much, but definitely being around native speakers
is needed!

My school has a very good French department with teachers from France speicifcally for conversation practice with pupils. And I know a significant number of French speakers outside of school (my dad also speaks it).
1 person has voted this message useful

Ug_Caveman
United Kingdom
Joined 4592 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes

Message 10 of 16
07 January 2012 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Also, when using Michel Thomas - do I do the whole hour of each CD per day, or do I break them down into say, half an hour sessions?

Melisse
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 4680 days ago

19 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, SwedishC1, French
Studies: Dutch, Russian, Modern Hebrew

Message 11 of 16
07 January 2012 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
I'm not able to answer any of your questions but
The Book Depository is selling New French with Ease for $38 and they ship for free.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5375 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 12 of 16
07 January 2012 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
In Assimil, the passive wave is where you just absorb the text by reading it out aloud with the CD as a guide, figuring out the nuances in it from the English translation and reading the notes and doing the exercises. The active wave involves covering up the target language text and translating the English into the target language and then checking the translation (either with the text or by listening to the CD).

Personally, I start the 'active wave' after about lesson 14 and keep repeating it - I find that until I reproduce the language I don't understand points of grammar or what not.

As to Michel Thomas - you can do as much as you like or can handle - I find 20 minutes a shot, perhaps two or three times a day to be good going at first. If you get the edition with the Review CDs, it is probably worth going through the part you did the day or week before to see if you have got the point, but MT doesn't require you to spend any specific time on it.

Ug_Caveman
United Kingdom
Joined 4592 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes

Message 13 of 16
07 January 2012 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:

As to Michel Thomas - you can do as much as you like or can handle - I find 20 minutes a shot, perhaps two or three times a day to be good going at first. If you get the edition with the Review CDs, it is probably worth going through the part you did the day or week before to see if you have got the point, but MT doesn't require you to spend any specific time on it.

Do you do the same part of the language over again, or do you move through the CD each time?

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5228 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 14 of 16
07 January 2012 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Ug_Caveman wrote:
Elexi wrote:

Do you do the same part of the language over again, or do you move through the CD each time?

It's up to how much time you have really. It's fine to do more than one CD in one day if you have the time and motivation. I found a CD a day a good pace for me but it's up to you. It's probably better to do as much as you can each day considering Thomas taught his material to people over a couple of days or so, but doing less would be fine. You can always go back to bits you have trouble with.

Ug_Caveman
United Kingdom
Joined 4592 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes

Message 15 of 16
08 January 2012 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
Ug_Caveman wrote:
Elexi wrote:

It's up to how much time you have really. It's fine to do more than one CD in one day if you have the time and motivation. I found a CD a day a good pace for me but it's up to you. It's probably better to do as much as you can each day considering Thomas taught his material to people over a couple of days or so, but doing less would be fine. You can always go back to bits you have trouble with.

Less is ideal, because I have school commitments and I get a lot of homework :( Luckily, I can get good conversation practice at school thanks to the French department, and my best friend is a Ukrainian, so I can practise Russian with him.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4699 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 16 of 16
08 January 2012 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
MT comes in 3 to 7 minute chunks. I've been doing his course until my brain shuts out &
can't absorb anything new. Usually about 20". The next day I start from a chapter or two
after where I started the day before. So I did chapters 1-7 one day, but only 3-5 the
next day, then 5-9 the next day, then 7-11 ...

But it's all so idiosyncratic. Pimsleur is easy: one lesson a day, 30." The pace for MT
and Assimil varies for each person. Just pick one, any one, and dive in!

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version