Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4147 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 81 of 162
28 January 2014 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
Lisbon sounds amazing, and Portugal in general. I can see you party all night like us. You don't even have to be in a club, all you need is strolling with friends in the crowded, warm, bright summer night.

You know, there was a time, years ago, that night clubs were ordered to close at 2 in the morning (LOL, I know...). There was practically a revolution and they took it back.

Thanks for the nice links.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 28 January 2014 at 8:44am

1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5850 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 82 of 162
30 January 2014 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
Italian
Today we had the listening comprehension part of our C.1.2 exam in class, and I'm now studying for its written sections. There's a lot in common with Portuguese and especially with French, but the false friends' section is quite substantial. I'm often misled by our traditional approach to verb tenses, since there are things that apply perfectly in Italian, and there are others that are simply forbidden.

Arabic
For the past couple of years, I've been convinced that my knowledge of this language was very shallow. I still think so, but I also think more and more that I have some very strong foundations. I guess this must be a very hard language to learn without a teacher, let alone using material without the diacritics. Since most word constructions are based upon "tashkeel" (vocalisation) of the roots, how can there be learning materials without them? It never ceases to puzzle me.

Sanskrit
Last week I got another glimpse of the difficulty of this language: confirming what I already suspected, my teacher told me that the way Sanskrit is taught in India is quite traditional. It made me think of Latin in Europe, not so long ago: children would be forced to recite the famigerated "rosa, rosae, rosam". Anyway, he told me that the first time he had a student outside of India he just gave him some declination tables. The student was so shocked that he gave up shortly afterwards. My teacher was convinced that he had to try a different approach.

Edited by Luso on 30 January 2014 at 6:05pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5850 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 83 of 162
04 February 2014 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
German
Last Friday I met my last teacher almost by accident. To cut a long story short, we had a few beers and ended up going to dinner (iguanamon knows the place). All in all, half a dozen hours speaking German. Not bad.

Italian
Today we had the written part of our C.1.2 exam in class. Maybe I'll edit this post with the result, maybe I'll post it somewhere else, or maybe I'll opt for keeping quiet. We shall see.

Arabic
I've started organising my materials. Right now, there's a lot not yet accounted for. More in the days to come.

Sanskrit
Always something new: Friday there was the prefix "a-" for "non-" (how Indo-European is that?) and my teacher using cloves as part of some Ayurvedic treatment for the throat (how Indian is that?).

Edited by Luso on 04 February 2014 at 1:05am

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4147 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 84 of 162
04 February 2014 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
The "a-" for "non-" certailnly brings to mind the greek language. How interesting. Is there a connection or is it a coincidence? Are there any coincidences, I wonder?

Great, now I am off to google about sanskrit/greek :)

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5850 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 85 of 162
12 February 2014 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
This is a different kind of entry: I don't know whether it shows, but I'm usually organised when learning languages (perhaps too organised).

So, in the next few days I'll make an experiment: instead of preparing my study carefully - you know, with lots of targets, objectives, milestones, etc. - I'll just pick the biggest task in my learning agenda and start hacking at it.

Since defining a number of days would be reverting to my usual organised self, I'll leave that page intentionally blank.

Let the setting of priorities and this post be the only organisation for the next few days.

And let the game(s) begin!

Edited by Luso on 12 February 2014 at 12:34am

4 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5051 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 86 of 162
12 February 2014 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
German
Last Friday I met my last teacher almost by accident. To cut a long story short, we had a few beers and ended up going to dinner (iguanamon knows the place). All in all, half a dozen hours speaking German. Not bad. ...

Conheço sim. Tenho muitas saudades de Portugal, meu amigo!

Deixar a rotina, às vezes é preciso agitar as águas. Bons estudos.

Edited by iguanamon on 12 February 2014 at 1:46am

2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4079 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 87 of 162
12 February 2014 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Lisbon sounds amazing, and Portugal in general. I can see you
party all night like us. You don't even have to be in a club, all you need is strolling
with friends in the crowded, warm, bright summer night.

42 C in summer is much more than warm, even at night is warmer than daytime in summer in
the UK.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5850 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 88 of 162
12 February 2014 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
renaissancemedi wrote:
Lisbon sounds amazing, and Portugal in general. I can see you
party all night like us. You don't even have to be in a club, all you need is strolling
with friends in the crowded, warm, bright summer night.

42 C in summer is much more than warm, even at night is warmer than daytime in summer in
the UK.

Summer is hot, yes. 42ºC is rare (many years it never goes to 40ºC). During the night, it's impossible (this is not the Danakil desert). During the day, you know the expression "mad dogs and englishmen go out in the midday sun". ;)

Edited by Luso on 12 February 2014 at 3:41am

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version