11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
tenseurmetrique
France
Joined 4512 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 1 of 11
12 January 2012 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Hello all,
This is my first post here and I am trying to learn German by myself.
I have completed the pimsleur course which I found excellent because I listened to it while commuting because I don't have much time to spare to learning German unfortunately, and now I don't where to continue..
I have read about
-assimil
-linguaphone
-FSI
but I don't know if any of them starts more or less where pimsleur left me..
what would you suggest? continue learning without a program?
if so how?
thank you very much
1 person has voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4512 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 2 of 11
13 January 2012 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
After I finished Pimsleur, I used what little Japanese I learned immediately on SNS like Twitter and Facebook. I sounded like a fool and still do today, but also had fun, learned a lot and made a couple of good friends that way.

This is by no means a path to fluency, but it keeps you on your toes. As for the learning afterwards, why don't you try Michel Thomas? It's pretty good for Japanese, so I guess it's also great as a follow-up to Pimsleur German.

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6760 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 3 of 11
13 January 2012 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
I don't know about Linguaphone, but I personally find FSI to be frustrating and boring,
so I can't recommend it.

I agree that Michel Thomas would be a logical next step. It works similarly to Pimsleur
in that it introduces minimal vocabulary and focuses on building intuition,
automaticity, and confidence with regard to the structure of the language, except that
it will be more thorough and take you farther than Pimsleur did. I think that having
gone through these two courses will give you an unshakable foundation. The only
drawback is that his accent (and of course, the accents of his students) are not very
good, so a lot of supplementary listening to native materials might be a good idea.
Most people seem to get through the Foundation course very quickly because the material
is so engaging; I got through the Spanish Foundation course in about 2 weeks without
pushing myself too hard.

I think Assimil is also a must-have, especially for German, which members here rate as
one of their strongest courses. It teaches the language phrase-by-phrase, expecting you
to pick up the grammar intuitively after enough exposure, and therefore doesn't focus
too much on explicit grammar instruction. However, many learners seem to find that a
bit of familiarity with the grammar and other features of the language beforehand helps
them get the most out of Assimil, so that's why I recommend it after Michel Thomas.

tenseurmetrique
France
Joined 4512 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 4 of 11
13 January 2012 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
OK, ! I will look into this michel thomas stuff.
I had never heard about it.
I loved the way pimsleur teached me because it never felt like work and is very intuitive so I would like a program that uses the same method of learning.

Thank you !

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5594 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 5 of 11
13 January 2012 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
I would also say Michel Tomas (but please look on other threads on how to use it properly
as their marketing is very misleading) and Assimil, but boring or not I recommend doing
the first few units of FSI to learn the basics of the case system before starting
Assimil. Being French you have the wonderful advantage of being able to use Assimil's
second level German course!

tenseurmetrique
France
Joined 4512 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 6 of 11
13 January 2012 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
what is the correct way of studying MT?
I did a search on the forum and found a very interesting post of yours going over cases but that's it..
As for FSI, why should I use it for the basics? I think pimsleur already gave me a good foundation to begin with. Is it not enough?
And why is it an advantage of being french for assimil? Is it a french course? That would be interesting because I think the German grammar may share more similarities with the french one than the English one. But I could be wrong.
Thank you

Edited by tenseurmetrique on 13 January 2012 at 5:06pm

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5376 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 7 of 11
13 January 2012 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
Assimil are a French company founded c.1920s in Paris. I would definitely get the French editions as the
current English base German with Ease seems to have been translated on a Friday afternoon and printed the
next Monday.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5594 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 8 of 11
13 January 2012 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
tenseurmetrique wrote:
what is the correct way of studying MT?
I did a search on the forum and found a very interesting post of yours going over cases
but that's it..
As for FSI, why should I use it for the basics? I think pimsleur already gave me a good
foundation to begin with. Is it not enough?
And why is it an advantage of being french for assimil? Is it a french course? That
would be interesting because I think the German grammar may share more similarities
with the french one than the English one. But I could be wrong.
Thank you

The correct way of studying MT? Take seriously what he says about not trying to
remember, just ignore ALL the marketing hype and follow his instructions on the tape
very carefully, even the ones that seem odd like not trying and no mental homework. Do
the course quickly, it can be done in a couple of days (e.g. a weekend) and that is
ideal, but if you're very busy you can do it over a couple of weeks. More than 2 or 3
weeks and you're taking too long. If you start taking that long you'll need to review
what you have previously done in order to understand what you are currently doing and
that's a problem with these courses as they're not designed for that. When you have
finished move on STRAIGHT AWAY. All the structures you have just learned will be
encountered in reading or Assimil and will therefore be retained, if you have a gap
before moving on you will start to forget. You may wish to do the foundation course
only, then start Assimil straight away, then do the advanced course later when you are
a little way into Assimil. At some point you are going to start scratching your head
about those cases (which are not fully explained by Michel Thomas and grammar
instruction is the one weakness with Assimil IMO), at which point I
recommend doing the relevant drills in FSI (whilst continuing Assimil) and all will
fall into place (my sincere apologies for not getting round to finishing my post you
allude to regarding a Michel Thomas style approach to cases).

Good luck!

Edited by Random review on 13 January 2012 at 9:18pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version