JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4510 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 13
16 January 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Hello Everyone,

I am just wondering If you have seen or been watching 'Chinese with Mike' on his website or on youtube and If so, what do you think?

He seems to want to make learning fun and on his site you can download usefull things to help with your studies.

If you havent seen or heard of it, check it out It seems good.
1 person has voted this message useful

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6593 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 13
17 January 2012 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
I just started watching it today, it's cool!

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 13
17 January 2012 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
I watched some of it and thought it was pretty interesting and nicely done but stopped because in general I don't find podcasts or youtube lessons time efficient.

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4510 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 4 of 13
17 January 2012 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Yeah I am using Pimsleur as my main program but thought I would look for other sources of Info to help and then found this. They are only short so thought I would add them to my daily learning.

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4769 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 5 of 13
19 January 2012 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
I'v watched some of his stuff, its pretty entertaining to watch. I don't think he has
uploaded a video in a few weeks though.

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4510 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 6 of 13
19 January 2012 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
Hi, I Started watching them from lesson 1 so I still have a long way to go yet but I think your right. I think It were december his last upload.

What programs are you using for mandarin?

Opensecret
Triglot
United States
Joined 4502 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 7 of 13
20 January 2012 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
For spoken Mandarin, I think Pimsleur is the best program out there, and I've done all three levels. After Mandarin III, the advanced version of Rocket Chinese is the best I've found. It adds a lot of new vocabulary beyond Pimsleur III. Comparing Pimsleur and the Rocket program: (a) Rocket moves faster; (b) Rocket rarely returns to vocabulary introduced in previous languages, whereas Pimsleur's "graduated interval recall" does that a lot; (c) Pimsleur often asks you to create new sentences from vocabulary you've learned; Rocket only asks you to repeat sentences that you just heard in the current lesson. Rocket may be better for improving listening comperhension, because you spend a lot of time listening to spoken dialogues that sometimes go by at a fairly fast pace, but I don't think it does as good a job of getting you to think in Mandarin. Rocket is more helpful for reading because all the dialogues are on the website in English, pinyin and Chinese characters. (I cut and paste the Chinese text into Wenlin, which is also a great tool for any English student of Chinese.)

For reading, I like the Assimil texts best, particularly because you can always find both pronunciation and translation for an unfamiliar character right where you are. With other texts I've tried, I've sometimes spent too much time trying to chase down a character using stroke count. I've used the French language version of the Assimil text (Le Chinois sans Peine), Books I and II, and I've been very happy with both.

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4510 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 8 of 13
20 January 2012 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Hi Opensecret, Thanks for you message. Yes I am using Pimsleur as my main program for learning aswel. I have not got Rocket Chinese though but have heard some good things about it. Maybe I will look out for It once I get closer to level 3.

I dont know what Wenlin Is. Is it like Anki where you have cards? I have just been watching Chinese with Mike and listening to some ChinesePod to help get more of a feel for It.
I am struggling to find a good program or book for reading or writing though.

As for Assimil, how much is it?

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version