Groupie
Japan
Joined 4594 days ago

50 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English, German*, Japanese
Studies: Thai, Persian, Russian

Message 17 of 35
22 February 2012 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
In China now, with not that much free time to spend on studying, but I've finally tired of Easy Persian and moved on to the Routledge Introductory course. Very delighted about the example sentences it provides for all the vocabulary introduced; using them (with audio) to start a Persian 10,000-sentence-journey. I've got about 50 sentences so far and am really enjoying the method, it's pretty effective for learning grammatical structures and expressions. Going to work my way through the book, adding sentences to the corresponding anki deck, and individual pieces of vocab to the other.

I did the usual 2-3 hours of Persian per day between my last post and my leaving Japan on the 17th, about five hours on the boat to Shanghai, and then another couple of hours yesterday. 1 1/2 hours of Pimsleur Russian on the train from Shanghai to Hangzhou. All going well.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 35
22 February 2012 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
In China, learning Persian and Russian on the way, I like the way you operate! What are you doing in China
by the way?

jellyfish
Triglot
Groupie
Japan
Joined 4594 days ago

50 posts - 70 votes 

Message 19 of 35
23 February 2012 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Just travelling around for six weeks, since Japan generously grants me a very long spring holiday! I'm more tempted than ever to start learning Chinese, but luckily my boyfriend speaks enough of it to communicate efficiently with the locals and get us hitch-hiked to places, so I'll stick to my current languages for the time being. ;)

Woke up to an email from a Russian friend and replied with surprising ease this morning! There's a 20-hour train journey from Hangzhou to Guangzhou coming up, which should get me through another few chapters of Pimsleur and the Routledge Persian course... there's nothing more conducive to efficient learning than having Facebook blocked for six weeks, haha.

Edited by jellyfish on 23 February 2012 at 11:46am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4606 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 20 of 35
23 February 2012 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
jellyfish wrote:
there's nothing more conducive to efficient learning than having
Facebook blocked for six weeks, haha.

Haha, I can relate to that :) I really envy you, traveling around from Japan to China
:)

I too find focusing on sentences fun and useful. It helps loads to zero in on
grammatical patterns and useful expressions. I like listening/reading to texts too, as
they provide you lots of example sentences in different usages!

I was looking at some Japanese books a while ago and remembered that predicament you're
in regarding newspaper reading. I did read a while ago about something called Kanji
Odyssey, which basically provides you with kanji readings in sentences extracted from
newspapers. Now, you obviously are at a pretty advanced level in Japanese, so I don't
know how helpful the sentences themselves are to your Japanese, but I guess it might
help with the newspaper readings? I did see a shared deck on Anki for the sentences,
but if you want the book and audio, you'll have to purchase it, I think. I didn't try
it out, so I can't be sure how effective it is. Here's the link to the site:

Kanji Odyssey

Another two resources I found which would probably be more relevant and efficient to
you are a couple of books I found on Amazon. Here are the links:

Japanese/dp/B002865NK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330001391&sr= 8-1">Intro To Newspaper
Japanese
]Introduction to Newspaper Japanese[/URL]

and

Kikuoka/dp/0804809194/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330001391&sr=8 -2">

Ultimately, the best learning is learning through example, and using authentic
material. But I guess it may help to use a guide to help with a particularly
complicated and/or overlooked area. I hope you find these links helpful.

Keep on posting all your wonderful adventures!

Edited by Woodsei on 23 February 2012 at 2:07pm

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4606 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 21 of 35
23 February 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
The links don't seem to be working for some reason.

Anyway, here are the titles and authors so you can check them on Amazon.

1. An Introduction to Newspaper Japanese by Nobuku Mizutani, Osamu Mizutani

http://www.amazon.com/An-Introduction-to-Newspaper-Japanese/ dp/B002865NK6/ref=sr_1_1?
ie=UTF8&qid=1330001391&sr=8-1

2. Japanese Newspaper Compounds by Tadashi Kikuoka

http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Newspaper-Compounds-Tadashi-
Kikuoka/dp/0804809194/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330001391&sr=8 -2

jellyfish
Triglot
Groupie
Japan
Joined 4594 days ago

50 posts - 70 votes 

Message 22 of 35
23 February 2012 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, that looks very interesting! I've been intending to get back into actively studying Japanese on a more advanced level sometime before applying for an MA in Japanese translation. Those books look like they'll be a good formal introduction to newspaper-level material; although I do have the actual native source material readily available, it's just too much work plunging straight into it with a big dictionary. And my Japanese language classes at uni are frankly useless. Especially since Japanese newspapers do use some odd structures that are actually unique to newspapers; making heads and tails of headlines is a bit of a science, really... so I'll definitely look into those books, cheers!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 24 of 35
28 February 2012 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Can you by the way tell me if it is o.k. to travel in China without speaking Chinese? I am considering to take the Transsiberian at some point, from China to Russia, and as you know I am working on my Russian, but I doubt that I'll be able to learn enough Mandarin to make any sense in the year or two before I might be going since I am working on other languages.

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version