Japan
Joined 4596 days ago

50 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English, German*, Japanese
Studies: Thai, Persian, Russian

Message 33 of 35
25 May 2012 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Oops, this is overdue again.
Still filling most of my free time (of which there is plenty) with Persian and my anki deck has almost reached 800 cards. I've done a total of 48h43 of it since the beginning of the 6WC 25 days ago, and it's still great fun. Which makes it all the more weird that I've actually never tried having a proper conversation in Persian, and probably won't until going to Iran in August. I feel like I should practice, and my friend in Iran just gave me a call trying to get me to speak some, but not only did my brain unhelpfully go into all-Japanese mode immediately, I'm just not a phone person. I hate phonecalls in my native language, and foreign-language phonecalls sit somewhere between the sixth and seven circle of hell in my books. So needless to say, nothing productive came out of it except for the feeling that I'm Just Crap At Speaking. Narf.
Russian is, unfortunately, taking a break from my brain at the moment, or maybe it's the other way round. I don't want to give up on it, but it's just so goddamn difficult that I feel I'll drop it permanently if I don't give it a break. At least for the duration of the 6WC.

Thai is fun but I'm relieved to find I'm not as into it as I feared I would be. Japanese is just kind of happening on its own. That's about it, really. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

jellyfish
Triglot
Groupie
Japan
Joined 4596 days ago

50 posts - 70 votes 

Message 34 of 35
20 June 2012 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
The 6WC was great! Came fourteenth with a total of 102h56m, 72h37m of which were spent
on Persian. I feel like I've made a great deal of progress with my Persian, and after a
bit of a break (during which I only did my anki routine and not much else) I'm
continuing at a faster pace again. A few days ago, I downloaded the past exam papers
for BA Persian students at my university, and was shocked and delighted to find that I
would be able to get an easy pass without ever having taken any courses. So now I'm
going through all the past years' papers, collecting vocab that I don't know yet. I'm
hoping I can audit Persian 2 next year when I'm back in London, though obviously that's
subject to timetable clashes. ان شاء الله.

Thai and Japanese are still happening on their own, with Thai being just a little flirt
more than anything else. I'm slowly and cautiously picking up the Russian again, with
the additional motivation of having made the acquaintance of a very attractive Russian
man. Ahem. It helps, you know.

Had a little moment of triumph in Japanese today, having made my first successful phone
call in Japanese. It was just a call to the post office and really shouldn't be a big
thing, given that I'm pretty proficient in the language, but I have a bit of a
phonecall phobia anyway and even hate just making normal phonecalls to friends in
German or English. So I was avoiding Japanese calls like the plague. But it worked.
Yay.

Edited by jellyfish on 20 June 2012 at 11:09am

jellyfish
Triglot
Groupie
Japan
Joined 4596 days ago

50 posts - 70 votes 

Message 35 of 35
27 June 2012 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Got around to eating at the one Persian restaurant in town today, and totally managed to
have a chat with the owner! Success. My reluctance to speak is disappearing fast. :) And
it's so much easier than Japanese was when I'd only studied it for as long as I've been
studying Persian now...

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version