United States
youtube.com/dearwandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5074 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 9 of 48
25 January 2012 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Hello Romantics team member! Wow, what an interesting and exciting group of languages you are studying! Quite impressive! I really look forward to reading your language logs.
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4692 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 48
25 January 2012 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
You read "Proust" with ease - wow! How long did it take to reach that level? I read
most of Lost Time, in English, and the language was beautiful. I'd imagine that it must
be more so in French.

And, should we even ask about "Girls of Riyadh?"

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4692 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 11 of 48
25 January 2012 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
You read "Proust" with ease - wow! How long did it take to reach that level? I read
most of Lost Time, in English, and the language was beautiful. I'd imagine that it must
be more so in French.

And, should we even ask about "Girls of Riyadh?"

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5412 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 12 of 48
26 January 2012 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
Hi dearwanderlust! :)

Kanewai - I think I meant relatively easy compared to what it was only a year ago for me.
And I only read the first chapter! It's hard to say how long I took to get to that level,
I took one year of French in high school, did nothing much with it for almost 10 years
but tried to at least maintain what I had even if I wasn't studying. After becoming
fluent in Spanish, plus the dabbling (my mum is a French teacher so we always had French
movies etc) I find I can understand the majority of things I read or hear. Put that down
to years of passive learning, I don't know. Now I've done a year of sporadic study on it
including a few breif trips in Frnech-speaking areas and this year I want to do focused
study each day. My speaking is my weak point though, that's for sure.

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5176 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 13 of 48
26 January 2012 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
Hi fellow odd-languages team member!

Reading your Gàidhlig, I can pick up a few of the phrases but the main issue I think is that Colloquial and the book I'm reading for Irish Gaelic are taking totally different approaches. Important things like "is" (to be, but for permanent things, I think) and "agam" (to me - ag + mé in Irish) haven't been approached yet 9 lessons into this, and I've only learnt them from other sources. But I'm covering a lot more different, and I'm sure just as important, ground.

Just checking, is "tha" the verb "to be", present tense? If so, the Irish form is "tá", pronounced "taw" (long back o sound). And "mi", if that's "I", is "mé", pronounced like the word "may". How's tha pronounced?

It'll be interesting to see the similarities between Gaeilge and Gàidhlig when I start getting more of the vital basics down. I have a book on Gàidhlig at home, and my home university is in Scotland, so I'd be happy to learn Gàidhlig through the differences.

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5412 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 14 of 48
27 January 2012 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
Hi Paul, ceud mìle fàilte!
Ooh it is interesting to learn a bit about Irish, I will definitely be completing my
Gàidhlig before any thoughts of dabbling in Irish, hehe, unless I happen to actually
visit the country.

tha is pronounced like "ha" So "tha mi" is "ha mi" and "tha thu" is said "ha u". Usually
"th" is pronounced like h so I'm not sure why tha thu = ha u. Something I have yet to
learn no doubt :)

Some of those phrases I wrote aren't even in Colloquial yet, but things I wanted to learn
how to say :) I'm only up to lesson 2!

Edited by Quabazaa on 30 January 2012 at 12:11pm

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5864 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 15 of 48
29 January 2012 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
Hi there "down under", Quabazaa.

Thought I could repay the visit you made to my log. Right off the bat, I see you rate your knowledge of French at B2 to C1, and you say you read Proust (just some bits, but it's impressive nevertheless). I'm not good at giving advice as far as French literature is concerned, having started studying the language very young, but I read somewhere that Simenon is a good writer for intermediate-level students. I don't know whether you're a crime thriller's fan, but who knows? It could be a good way of improving your French.

I also have one question: you say your German level is B2, which I can also say is mine. Are you able to read books in German? If so, which types? I'm curious because I have some problems doing it (for lack of vocabulary). Your input would be appreciated.

By the way, all the best to you.

Edited by Luso on 29 January 2012 at 4:32am

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5412 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 

Message 16 of 48
29 January 2012 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
Hi Luso, thanks very much for recommending Simenon! I will read anything and
everything, plus crime thrillers usually suck you in and make you want to keep reading,
a good quality if you are still learning. Do let me know if you think of anything else
I might like.

As for German, I do read books but I usually have a dictionary nearby to check the
meaning of new words or ones I'm uncertain about. I find the structure of German quite
unintuitive as well. What are your problems with German? Do you not wish to use a
dictionary at all? I don't mind if I need to look up a word every few pages.

The things I have read in the last year include children's books such as Momo by
Michael Ende and Tintenherz by Cornelia Funke. I thoroughly enjoyed them both so even
though they were written for children I highly recommend them, especially if you happen
to like fantasy and want an easier read (Good for listening practise as audiobooks!
That's what I used them for.)
I read "Der Tod in Venedig" by Thomas Mann last year and found it quite a challenge, I
had to read it twice to feel I had got it. Lots of long sentences!
I really like Briefe an einen jungen Dichter by Rainer Maria Rilke. I read it a while
ago so it should be relatively easy.
I also read a collection of stories by Heinrich Böll and am now reading Lenz by Peter
Schneider, which seems about the right level for me and both are very interesting.
The books on my pile to read next and which I believe will be a suitable level are the
following:
Schon bist du ein Verfassungsfeind by Peter Lenz
Nachdenken Über Christa T. by Christa Wolf
Das Schloß by Kafka
Der Zauberberg; Doktor Faustus by Thomas Mann (will read him last and see if it feels
any easier)
These were all books my mother still had from her German courses at uni 30 years ago
and were ones she thought would be good for me to read. So hope that helps! It would
also be a good idea to look at German Lit courses and see what they are reading. I am
taking mine from 30 years ago because they were easily available to me.

For more modern writers I like this
site
which has excerpts read by the authors so you can have a listen and see if
anything in particular catches your attention. If you like Neil Gaiman I am told
Christoph Marzi is a must, an author I have been meaning to read for a while. If you
like Krimis the most famous German-speaking authors seem to be Jörg Juretzka, Bernhard
Schlink, Jacques Berndorf, Wolf Haas and Friedrich Ani. I imagine they'd be a good
level for B2 as well.

Viel Spaß! :)

(Edit: another site which
might be helpful for ideas of things to read.

Edited by Quabazaa on 31 January 2012 at 2:55am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version