Germany
Joined 4672 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 25 of 48
22 February 2012 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Kia Ora Quabazaa,

interesting log! I think it's great you're studying Maori. I lived in New Zealand for a year and also want to learn one of the Pacific languages sometime. I thought about Samoan, but it seems there are many great resources for Maori out there. What did you start studying with?

Regarding Korean, I thought the Sogang online course moves rather fast. Depending on how much you already know you might want to look into the Seoul University online course (It's rather basic). The layout and concept are great and and I thought it was easier to follow, too.

Edit: By the way, Integrated Korean has audio files, too. You can find them on their website.

Edited by druckfehler on 22 February 2012 at 6:09pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5413 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 26 of 48
23 February 2012 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
Tēnā koe e hoa! :) Nice to see a Māori greeting in here!

Samoan is a great language too, I've always wanted to visit the country. I believe some
knowledge of Māori really helps on that front. I imagine there are more resources for
Māori so that could be one way to get into Pacific languages. If you want to get a
start on it I totally recommend the video series Tōku Reo which is happily now
available online! They
are the best introduction if you ask me and begin with the same material as a textbook
would.
There is a link to Te Whanake homepage at the top, that's where you can find info about
the main textbooks used in NZ universities to teach Māori, the series is called "Te
Whanake" and I have been using the first one so far.

And there are some great subtitled TV shows on Maori Television, luckily the website
isn't geo-blocked either!

Kia ora for the Soul University course! Anything to help learn the basics is a good
idea, it looks useful too. Sogang does move quite quickly though thankfully the summer
course I took at uni gave me a solid foundation so I'm not starting from scratch.
Thanks for the audio links as well! I with Integrated Korean had a key for the
exercises, you don't happen to know if one is available do you?

Edited by Quabazaa on 23 February 2012 at 7:35am

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4672 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 27 of 48
24 February 2012 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Tēnā koe! Or 안녕하세요? :)

The video series looks fun and really useful! I think it's good that studying Maori is promoted in New Zealand. How great it would be if all countries did the same with their indigenous languages...

Reading about your Maori studies inspired me to look a bit more thoroughly into Samoan learning materials to decide if it's feasible or if I should go for Maori instead. Surprisingly everything I'd need is available in Germany (some even at my uni). So I guess if I start dabbling in a Pacific language it's going to be Samoan after all.

As far as I know there's no answer key for Integrated Korean, which really is a shame. I guess you could find other ways to get it corrected, like posting the exercises on lang-8. There are many Koreans who are glad to help. Or if you have any questions about a grammar point, don't hesitate to ask me. I might be able to clarify it.

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5413 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 28 of 48
03 March 2012 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
x

Edited by Quabazaa on 10 May 2014 at 3:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5413 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 

Message 29 of 48
07 March 2012 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
x

Edited by Quabazaa on 10 May 2014 at 3:05pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4761 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 30 of 48
07 March 2012 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
Sounds promising! Congrats on that first conversation in French.

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5413 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 

Message 31 of 48
22 March 2012 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
x

Edited by Quabazaa on 10 May 2014 at 3:05pm

Sirkka
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5450 days ago

35 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Sign Language, Russian, Dutch, Esperanto, Thai, Modern Hebrew

Message 32 of 48
22 March 2012 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Quabazaa wrote:
Everyone rejoice for me, please! I finally talked to my friend in French :) Actually I managed
close to an hour of conversation. I'm not eloquent by any means but I understand what he says to me and manage to
formulate a reply. I keep saying "sí" instead of "oui" though! Argh!

Way to go!

As an exchange student in the US I had to take Spanish instead of French because it was the only foreign language
the school offered. When I came back home and took up French again my French teacher had a good laugh every
time he read one of my essays because it was chock full of Spanish grammar and words! Good thing he spoke
Spanish as well, so he knew about the interferences.

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version